First The Launch Pad MIM-23B HAWK

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ancient Chinese Secret

I just ordered the CTI Pro24 1 and 3 grain cases, aft closure, DAT tool and 24mm adapter and Rocketarium 24mm motor retainer. :grin:

Time to modify and re-sim the HAWK in OpenRocket.

Swing !!

I have 24mm CTI cases and spacers ,but have yet to get reloads for them.Looks like it`s time to get cracking for spring launches.

Note *** -I wish someone had pics of the launch shoes on the rocket or guide rails :confused2:

Paul T

Paul, it's midnight, go to bed! :)

:gavel::grin::eyeroll::wink::handshake::rofl:

Actually ,it`s 1:33 AM....and I`m not tired yet.

I`m busy having a beer and sanding stuff :D

How bout youz ,not in bed yet ? I`m trying to get this damn Gabriel done.

Paul T

Just don't put the wrong bits on the wrong rockets :) The brain gets funny after beer and early am hours. I know :eek:

-Z

Just don't put the wrong bits on the wrong rockets :) The brain gets funny after beer and early am hours. I know :eek:

-Z

No ,no problems here.I never put on fins after 12 beer .Just sanding ,some jazz in the background and a sanding block (220 grit ,nothing more coarse in my state)

I hate sanding BTW ,probably the most boring part of any build ,although depending on the part ,it can be relaxing ,but not often.

One time I was lazy and thought I would use my disc sander to make some bevels on some basswood fins.

I had to cut new fins.Seemed like a good idea at the time :mad:

Beer and a build ,is that not how "odd rocks" are born ?

Paul T

Swing !!

I have 24mm CTI cases and spacers ,but have yet to get reloads for them.Looks like it`s time to get cracking for spring launches.

Note *** -I wish someone had pics of the launch shoes on the rocket or guide rails :confused2:

Paul T

Here's what I've found for the HAWK, I'm pretty sure the latching/firing hold down didn't change between versions.

PDRM0256.jpg

PDRM0257.jpg

PDRM0258.jpg

PDRM0259.jpg

PDRM0260.jpg

Oh wow man ,those are great ,very useful !!

Where did you find those ? Have you more pics ?

Many many thanks !

Paul T

BINGOooooooooooooooooo !!!!

That`s the one I needed :handshake:

A huge thanks !

Paul T

PS-Don`t tell me that`s your basement ,cause if it is ,I`m comming down.Should I bring my own cot ?

If only... I can't remember where I found them, somewhere on the internet.

I grew up in El Paso, Tx. This is one of my favorite places in town, if you can get on base (Fort Bliss):

White Sands Missile Range Park and Museum

If only... I can't remember where I found them, somewhere on the internet.

I grew up in El Paso, Tx. This is one of my favorite places in town, if you can get on base (Fort Bliss):

White Sands Missile Range Park and Museum

What I wouldnt do to go for a visit.I also saw an AIM-4 Falcon in the background ,one of my favorite missiles.Want to do a full scale scratch of one this year.

Cheers

Paul T

On the photo on the right, is that a "Matador" on the left side in pale yellow?
A "Mirage II" perhaps on the right in "Tri-Colour"?

I would say the jet on the right is a Sukhoi Su-17M "Fitter" or another variant,perhaps a 22 ,as it has the "sugar scoop" near the vertical tail.But pretty sure it`s an Su .

Paul T

What I wouldnt do to go for a visit.I also saw an AIM-4 Falcon in the background ,one of my favorite missiles.Want to do a full scale scratch of one this year.

Cheers

Paul T

I've made drawings for, approximately, a half scale AIM-4D. It's certainly one of my favorite missiles, too.

Tsk tsk tsk Daddy... always poo poo'in us rich folk with our girly-man clips and rings.

My Hawk's "Power Pooper" is not "Way up in there." Its hang a goodin' oh call it 6mm out the Hawk's Hiney(tm)...(BTW: Thats a 1/4 inch for you old fogies)

Ya know, I'd rather know the aft motivator is in there for good, then wonder, "Is this enough tape? Too much?... Oh crap now its peeling as I shove it in..."

You High Priests of Tape-o-Topia may have just the magically touch needed. Not too much tape, not too little, never gets stuck or peels back. But us mere rich lazy journeymen mortals muddle through out dreary existence latching or screwing on our girly-man positive retention gadgets. (And don't you think we don't know you old Tape-O-Topia Geezers are laughing behind our filthy rich backs at the field!)

:D:p:wink:

Tape-o-topia is really a dystopia, with all the envious poor idolizing the deserving rich. Having to worry all that tape gue makes us loose our hair and teeth and do funny dances. We can only dream of a fancy computer and software to assure us that our Power Pooper hangin' out the back is OK if we put the last of our shot in the nose fer weight.

"Slide that shooter up onther half thumb width so we have some buck shot left over so we can go shoot some eats!" That is the hard choice we have to make in Tape-o-topia. Yeppers, some day I will get some fake hair and teeth, put on a pink shirt with an unstructured white linen suit and dance up to the pad with the box blaring out "My Future Is So Bright I have To Wear Shades," with a motor retainer proudly displayed on my TLP HAWK. Only then will Tape-o-topia be lost.:cool:

Tape-o-topia is really a dystopia, with all the envious poor idolizing the deserving rich. Having to worry all that tape gue makes us loose our hair and teeth and do funny dances. We can only dream of a fancy computer and software to assure us that our Power Pooper hangin' out the back is OK if we put the last of our shot in the nose fer weight.

"Slide that shooter up onther half thumb width so we have some buck shot left over so we can go shoot some eats!" That is the hard choice we have to make in Tape-o-topia. Yeppers, some day I will get some fake hair and teeth, put on a pink shirt with an unstructured white linen suit and dance up to the pad with the box blaring out "My Future Is So Bright I have To Wear Shades," with a motor retainer proudly displayed on my TLP HAWK. Only then will Tape-o-topia be lost.:cool:

:rofl:

paul T

Nice stuff I will have to talk to my buddy and get some vinyl. I have never found those shots before. That Hawk must be for training.

First I will have to get of ma butt and fix my hawk before I look into that.

I bought some extra balsa, so I can cut out some extra fins and practice sanding the air foil. I'm not sure if I'm going sand them free hand or try to make some kind of jig. 1/8" balsa is going to be tricky. If any of my practice fins are successful, they'll become part of the actual build. Also, I received 2 red couplers and an 18", yellow, nylon parachute from Apogee Rockets.

A actual build thread is to come in the not to distant future.

I bought some extra balsa, so I can cut out some extra fins and practice sanding the air foil. I'm not sure if I'm going sand them free hand or try to make some kind of jig. 1/8" balsa is going to be tricky. If any of my practice fins are successful, they'll become part of the actual build. Also, I received 2 red couplers and an 18", yellow, nylon parachute from Apogee Rockets.

A actual build thread is to come in the not to distant future.

I like those red couplers ,but the odd one may be a little tight ,not sure if it`s the coupler or the body tubes ,so a little sanding will help.

NOTE**** - use 5 min epoxy (not much) to glue in the couplers ,as regular wood glue or white glue grads too fast and the thing could get pooched !

Paul T

Always good to have pictures. This thread is making me want to build a small Hawk lol. If you have the one with the opening in the fins, I guess that would be the Mim-23B They whistle as the climb off the pad, it is awesome to hear.

I am not sure if the smaller ones do but I think I am going to find out lol. I am looking at Mad Cows Mim-23B, I think TLP's 23B is only 1.9". Ether that or I am going to get the same kit you have and modify it so it will be a 23B.

The Mad Cow 23B is a little spendy but it is fiberglass which I like and it will fly on a wide range of motors. A 2.6" Army Hawk on a J350, that would be classified as a fin test flight lol.

I think the hardest part of the TLP kits is the boat tails and the nose cone tips, I just left them off on my Alarm and it does not look bad. Fly's good too.

I stand corrected, TLP does make a 23B in 2.6. I can see trouble lol. A little fiberglass and a 29mm MMT Hmm. it's only 25 bucks too lol.

I stand corrected, TLP does make a 23B in 2.6. I can see trouble lol. A little fiberglass and a 29mm MMT Hmm. it's only 25 bucks too lol.

From one cheapskate to another I would spend more on a real mid power kit like the Mad Cow. If glass and power is what you need, then that is what you get with Mad Cow. In the end it is a lot less heartache, work, and lot less risk. At $25 you are going to hate all the TLP components - especially the balsa and thin LPR tubes/rings. TLP modifications are best left to the crazy pros here on the forum. One of our high power club pros glassed up a TLP Flail and the first launch put the Scare into him. He got it to work on the second flight but I haven't seen another TLP mod job since. But if you are really crazy then, GO FOR IT!

Madcow kit is a very nice kit ,builds up very nice and very strong and not much need for filler on the FG nosecone or tailcone.

I`ll take a picture of mine and post ,although I did not get it finished in time to fly ,needs graphics and CG/CP done to it.

Should be a nice flyer though !

Paul T

From one cheapskate to another I would spend more on a real mid power kit like the Mad Cow. If glass and power is what you need, then that is what you get with Mad Cow. In the end it is a lot less heartache, work, and lot less risk. At $25 you are going to hate all the TLP components - especially the balsa and thin LPR tubes/rings. TLP modifications are best left to the crazy pros here on the forum. One of our high power club pros glassed up a TLP Flail and the first launch put the Scare into him. He got it to work on the second flight but I haven't seen another TLP mod job since. But if you are really crazy then, GO FOR IT!

Yeah, I already priced out all the stuff for the Mad Cow 23B. The tax man is even going to get me a small av bay so I can play. I just can't stop myself from tinkering with everything lol. Well they had all the stuff to do it! I have a perfectflite MAWD that needs putting in something too. It was thinking about that paper boat tail. It pushed me towards the Mad Cow rocket and seeing the tail cone for the MC, wow nice looking stuff.

See what you guy's did lol :D

Last edited:
Back