First Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Laughing Man

Reaction score
Hey, I am new to this forum and have found it as a great resource. :D I am pretty new to rocketry also. I have built a few kits before and have launched a couple times. I started this scratch build that is designed to be a egg/cargo lifter with an AT RMS 29mm 40-120 motor casing. I hope to eventualy fly it with a G motor.

I have only done work so far on the payload section. It is a BT-70 body tube and has two layers of 1.5 oz. fiberglass applied. I am considering adding two more layers. The same will be done to the sustainer over the next few days.
rkt_RTS_pre_disassembled.jpg

I have also cut out the fins. I put the original design into RockSim and used it to find a fin design that would provide sufficient stability. I plan to also cover them with two layers of 1.5 oz. fiberglass. I will downsize this photo tomorrow.
rkt_RTS_pre_fin_1_small.jpg

I have a few questions though. Would it be worth it to add another two layers of fiberglass, especially if I plan to launch this on a G motor? I am also planning on using an ejection baffle, anything I need to know about installation or placement? And as far as glassing the fins, I have seen that some use wood filler and hardener on them. Should I still do that even though I am glassing them?
Thanks for any help.
Kaijah

Glassing the BT is really unnecessary, but especially as the grain direction on those fins is about the worst it could be for strength, I would glass them several times tip to tip (also, if you can, recut them with the grain parallel to the leading edge of the fin).

Thanks cjl! Better to fix any problems with the fins now then later. I tried to cut the fin as you said, but found it about a half inch to thin and ran out of wood at the same time. I will post a picture later. Which now raises another question, will balsa (I have a ton of the stuff) be sufficient for this project or should I get another type, such as basswood (what those fins are made of) or ply?
Thanks,
Kaijah

I'm just curious... is your handle a reference to Ghost In The Shell: Stand-Alone Complex?

Glassed balsa would be fine, ply would work fine, basswood would be fine (I would probably put a layer of glass on them regardless though just for extra strength).

Yes, the name is inspired by the series. The attempt was to find a name that would fit as a Xbox Live ID (The laughing man was one character too long). As a result NLM came to be, though it doesn't have much to do with its origin anymore. Here is the recut fin in balsa. I found the balsa I used to be a bit too flexible and am going to order some ply when I order the last parts I need for the rocket.
https://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e286/No_Laughing_Man/rkt_RTS_pre_fin_2_small.jpg

One month without an update, but I finally got most of the parts remaining that I wanted. I am using 3/32 5-ply plywood for the fins and plan on adding a layer of 1.5 oz fiberglass today or tomorrow. I also am installing a Aeropack motor retainer, and have a Rousetech clone of the AT RMS 29/40-120 (I really like that gold finish).

Preassembled Fuselage and Parts

The center tube is a baffle, though I am not sure an exact placement and how it will effect the rocket. And one of the new cut and tapered fins.

New Preglass Fins

I hope to get the engine mount and fins together this week and then finish up the nose cone. Any suggestions or corrections are very appreciated. :) Also, I plan on the upper part of the rocket being a cargo compartment. I was going to make the nosecone detachable, any suggestions on how to secure it during flight? I was thinking of simply using 3 or 4 small screws. I will post so more pictures later.

Back