• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

First MP Attempt

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Oddity

Reaction score
I have designed my first medium power rocket (file attached). I'd appreciate your comments.

A few weeks ago I bought a Cesaroni 29mm, 3 grain case and retainer. I haven't bought a motor as yet.

My thoughts in the design were:

1. Fly with a G motor.
2. Keep it simple.
3. Make it visible. (having been to my second club launch recently on a sunny day, I couldn't see the rockets in the sun's glare. So paint the main body with metallic/reflective paint).
4. Make it compatible with a 6 grain case as well as the 3 grain that I have.

My thoughts since are:

1. I wonder if this could be a license 1 design? From what I've learned so far, the UK criteria are much the same as the US. If ever I do attempt a license 1 in the UK, I want it to be with my designed and built rocket. Not a kit.
2. With the above in mind, should I have used a 3" tube to decrease altitude?
3. Maybe I should have started with a 38mm motor. Too late now, I'm committed to 29mm. In any case the cost of 38mm reloads is too high compared with 29mm.
4. Try something new.

I guess I should have asked advice a few weeks back but impatience won and I've started the build. The only thing I've added (trying something new) is to surface the fins and local body tube, with fibre glass tissue. Certainly adds strength but also a lot of sanding and shaping. I think I have a way to go regarding technique and ventilation.

Anyway, a bit late but comments are welcome.

SO.

View attachment MP1#2.ork

Last edited:
Looks like it ought to fly. May even survive an H flight. I think maybe plywood may be a better choice for your fins, though you laminated them with glass so they may be OK. The H180 that you have in the sim puts it into the trans-sonic region, may want to stay away from that one.

Enjoy!!

Thanks for your comments.
I agree about the plywood but I have an enormousness box of balsa that will last a lifetime of rocket making. I was surprised how strong the fibre tissue fins actually are. I guess it's the technology of sandwich panels.

Also agree on the H180. I was just experimenting.

SO.

Back