First launch in decades... partially successful...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewomack

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I brought my first rocket to a group launch today and it flew perfectly - it went almost straight up, the chute deployed exactly on time and it drifted about 50 - 75 yards away into an adjacent field. We easily spotted the bright yellow parachute and walked right toward the rocket, which greeted us all in one piece. Even the altimeter stayed attached (I still need to translate the beeps to see how high it went - more on that later).

So why was it only partially successful? I was hoping to meet the 60 second parachute flight requirement for the NARTREK Bronze level, but the flight only lasted 48.43 seconds. So a fail there. But now the rocket has flown perfectly with a B engine, so I'll fly it again with a C engine and hopefully add another 12 - 15 seconds onto the flight.

Pictures attached: rocket is the red one to the right on the low power pad; picture of rocket as we found it in the field; picture of altimeter attached to nosecone; used engine.

Attachments

• IMG_7503.JPG
    IMG_7503.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7504.JPG
    IMG_7504.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7507.JPG
    IMG_7507.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_7509.JPG
    IMG_7509.JPG