First HPR scratch build, Tank Girl

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went with 1/4" holes but around the holes the wood chipped away.It looks like you have fender washers on yours,is this to provide strenght?I worry that the wood will slip because of the jagged holes.I will post a picture of mine later.
I just got up,I worry that the plate will split where the chipped holes are.

I went with 1/4" holes but around the holes the wood chipped away.It looks like you have fender washers on yours,is this to provide strenght?I worry that the wood will slip because of the jagged holes.I will post a picture of mine later.

The fender washer is on the eyebolt on the underside, to spread out the load a little.

I just got up,I worry that the plate will split where the chipped holes are.

I'd like to see a photo of the chipped holes. It may be nothing to worry about, or you might be able to put a layer of epoxy on it to strengthen it.

I'd like to see a photo of the chipped holes. It may be nothing to worry about, or you might be able to put a layer of epoxy on it to strengthen it.

I had to wait for more daylight to take a picture without the flash.I thought about the epoxy.

semroc iris 001.jpg

I had to wait for more daylight to take a picture without the flash.I thought about the epoxy.

It doesn't look that bad to me, but I think I'd put a layer of epoxy on it just in case.

I made a retention plate for Tank Girl, like I made for my Hyperloc 835. That way I can use my 29mm cases with an adapter. I had to trim the adapter some. I don't know why it was so long.

174_adapter.jpg

171_retention_plate.jpg

172_retention_plate.jpg

175_retention_plate.jpg

176_retention_plate.jpg

Um, you've still got A LOT of excess material on that retention cover...and you have that really nice Rikon stationary disk/belt sander...wink wink. ;)

Just had a thought...I've been spraying the area around the motor mount of my birds with high temp flat black. It's not the ceramic header coating folks have been talking about, just the old skool header paint. The idea is basically to make the rockets look "cleaner" without actually having to do any clean-up,

In the case of Tank Girl, the flat black will look like part of the color scheme.

Um, you've still got A LOT of excess material on that retention cover...and you have that really nice Rikon stationary disk/belt sander...wink wink. ;)

Just had a thought...I've been spraying the area around the motor mount of my birds with high temp flat black. It's not the ceramic header coating folks have been talking about, just the old skool header paint. The idea is basically to make the rockets look "cleaner" without actually having to do any clean-up,

In the case of Tank Girl, the flat black will look like part of the color scheme.

Yeah, I need to trim it some more. I don't know why I made it so big. The flat black is a good idea, but I'd have to mask everything to paint it.

Take a large sheet of cardboard and cut an appropriately sized hole. Slip it over the aft end of the body tube. Mask up the bit that you don't want to spray. I use the blue 3M tape for delicate surfaces.

Save the cardboard for the next rocket.

I like monkeys.

Well, I finally got around to the decals. I had made a water slide decal for the upper section, but the green paint is too dark - it disappeared. I'll have to see if I can print one on white decal paper instead of clear. But the vinyl main decal went on without a problem, and I think it looks great!

186_decal.jpg

178_decal.jpg

179_decal.jpg

180_decal.jpg

181_decal.jpg

I know, I'm excited about this one. I'll have to launch her at Snow Ranch, though, on an H.
Assuming LUNAR has a launch next month or in December. We need some rain.

I'm toying with the idea of tripping down to October Skies for one of the three days. Yes, I know, windy and rough field conditions but on the other hand, a 17k' waiver and a pretty decent dirt road out into the recovery area. Jeremy and Gina are going. Jonathan may be there as well. The Robbs will be there. They go to all the launches.

And LOC will have an October Skies Commemorative for 2011. :D

Assuming LUNAR has a launch next month or in December. We need some rain.

I'm toying with the idea of tripping down to October Skies for one of the three days. Yes, I know, windy and rough field conditions but on the other hand, a 17k' waiver and a pretty decent dirt road out into the recovery area. Jeremy and Gina are going. Jonathan may be there as well. The Robbs will be there. They go to all the launches.

And LOC will have an October Skies Commemorative for 2011. :D

I couldn't afford the gas even if I wanted to go.

The guy I get my vinyl decals from now prints full color decals. So I had him make the Tank Girl graphic decal for me. Turned out nice.

187_tg_decal.jpg

188_tg_decal.jpg

189_tg_decal.jpg

191_tg_decal.jpg

196_tank_girl.jpg

He also sent one of his company decals, which happened to be a skull. I thought it fit the theme, so I used it too.

192_skull_decal.jpg

193_skull_decal.jpg

195_skull_decal.jpg

197_tank_girl.jpg

198_skull_decal.jpg

I finally launched Tank Girl yesterday at the SARG launch. Two flights, the first on an H148 to about 900 ft, and the second on an I245 (at my son's urging) to about 1600 ft. Both flights were successful, but both times the upper section separated from the lower section. I had elastic between the nose cone and transition in the upper section, to hold them together just in case. But apparently there was enough force at separation to break the plastic loop off the nose cone. The nose and upper body tubes stayed together, and the transition stayed with the lower section. The upper section actually glided on the way down which you can clearly see in the recovery video. It was kind of cool. No damage other that paint scratches, so I consider them successful flights. I didn't get video of the first launch, because they had the wrong pad chosen and it launched before I was ready.

[YOUTUBE]ptrYEqcOBeY[/YOUTUBE]

P1080393.JPG

P1080406.JPG

P1080408_edit.jpg

P1010160.JPG

P1010169.JPG

On the second flight, the igniter blew out of the I245 Mojave Green reload. Never had that happen before, but it was kinda funny.

[YOUTUBE]PUycLV2X3wU[/YOUTUBE]

P1080602_edit.jpg

P1010270.JPG

Didn't have much luck with the First Fire igniter, so I used one of my homemade ones the second time. It lit the motor right up. The up was great, but this time the plastic loop broke off the transition. I should have known better. I'll be drilling holes and using nylon cord from now on. All in all, they were fun and exciting flights. No structural damage despite the mishaps. Tank Girl is a, well, tank!

[YOUTUBE]SUssVze2aR8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ZtVe3OZWIB0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]psd20K_yj8Y[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]El0DAyGJ5q0[/YOUTUBE]

P1080651.JPG

P1080652.JPG

P1010277.JPG

P1010279.JPG

P1010282.JPG

Well don't you just have the luck of the Irish! :) :clap:

BTW: The video is interesting, but me myself and I, I think the pictures tell a better story.
An I motor huh? Starting to get beyond Low n Slow. :)

Back