First Flight Corn-Roc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It just made a random referance to corn John if i rmember correctly pal:) Sorry about sidetracking the thread bud.
Cheers
fred

It just made a random referance to corn John if i rmember correctly pal:) Sorry about sidetracking the thread bud.
Cheers
fred

I don't have a problem. Its been a crazy weekend and I've been in a funny mood.

You didn't sidetrack the thread. It just kinda wondered off that way.

The launch got delayed a little bit more because Ken decided (out of the goodness of his heart, of course) to let Tiger run out and recover his copter.

Corn-Roc-f1i.jpg

Corn-Roc-f1j.jpg

So finally it was the turn of the Corn-Roc...

Corn-Roc-f1k.jpg

When the count got to 0, the rocket lifted off nicely on the Quest C6.

Corn-Roc-f1l.jpg

After the initial thrust spike died down, though, it was obvious that the Quest motor was not up to the task of propelling the Corn-Roc. It curved over and began to lose altitude under thrust. By the time the motor quit burning, it as angled slightly down, right below horizontal. Then it started to plunge. It finally popped the chute about 20 feet above the ground.

I decided to be nice and I let Tiger run and fetch this rocket as well. I'm going to have invite him to ALL the launches! :D

There was no damage.

Corn-Roc-f1m.jpg

Corn-Roc-f1n.jpg

Corn-Roc-f1o.jpg

I'm working on that stability issue.

The launch lug is moving from the fin to the body tube with the rod running up through a hole in the nose cap. Body tube is also going from BT-55 to BT-60 for more room and a larger nose block to shift CG farther FWD without adding more ballast.

N

I'm working on that stability issue.

The launch lug is moving from the fin to the body tube with the rod running up through a hole in the nose cap. Body tube is also going from BT-55 to BT-60 for more room and a larger nose block to shift CG farther FWD without adding more ballast.

N

FWIW, I have not had stability problems with this rocket in the past. There has been some weathercocking on windy days but last Saturday was calm. I really think the problem this time was insufficient thrust. Estes B6 and C6 seems to be fine. The Quest C6 just doesn't get the job done after lifting off the rod.

As a matter of fact, I remember the A8 flying the rocket fine; it just did not get enough altitude for reliable deployment with a 3 sec delay.

Consider it a little extra insurance. :) The big things I wish to avoid are sticking on the launch rod and the need for ballast.

I can also modify the construction so that the fins are attached to the body tube, then the corn slotted to allow it to slide over. I hope to eliminate some possibilities for fin misalignment! :D

Something I should mention if I have not done so before: the Corn Roc is a kid magnet.

May was the last launch I attended before I got too busy to work on much of anything. I did not fly a lot on that day but I did tell the kids present that they could choose what they wanted to see. They wanted to see the Corn Roc. I was glad to oblige and set it up with a C6-3.

CR-f1a.jpg

CR-f1b.jpg

CR-f1c.jpg

The kids and I had to wait our turn behind an Executioner...

CR-f1d.jpg

Then we had to wait behind a Nike Smoke that wanted to give up smoking...

CR-f1e.jpg

CR-f1f.jpg

CR-f1g.jpg

CR-f1h.jpg

Then it was my turn and up she went. It started well as always.

CR-f1i.jpg

The Corn Roc has always been sensitive towards wind and, as it cleared the rod, a sustained gust hit. It cocked over and kept cocking over until it was pretty horizontal.

CR-f1j.jpg

CR-f1k.jpg

CR-f1l.jpg

I was beginning to doubt whether the chute would deploy before ground impact but I was not too worried. This rocket has survived a lot and I figured it could handle the impact. It has before.

Then the chute did come out. Everyone saw right where it landed. The kids cheered.

The strange thing is that NOBODY was ever able to find it. Its gone.:(

CR-f1m.jpg

CR-f1n.jpg

The Corn Roc has always been sensitive towards wind and, as it cleared the rod, a sustained gust hit. It cocked over and kept cocking over until it was pretty horizontal.

I have that problem from time to time... The easiest fix for that is shown in the photo below. See how high she is flying!? Nearly straight up, eh?

:D :D

CR-f1l.jpg

I have that problem from time to time... The easiest fix for that is shown in the photo below. See how high she is flying!? Nearly straight up, eh?

:D :D

You should not do things like that when I first wake up. Do you have any idea how long I studied that photo trying to figure out your change before I "got it"? Tsk, tsk.

You should not do things like that when I first wake up. Do you have any idea how long I studied that photo trying to figure out your change before I "got it"? Tsk, tsk.

Thats just wrong funny but wrong you made me snarf my coffee

Back