First Flight A-Corn

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The A-Corn came with an 8" Thermal Rider parachute from Hartle Engineering. As a general rule, I don't like plastic parachutes but, if I'm going to have one, this is the type to go with.

The chute went together easily and was connected to a provided snap swivel. The swivel was then connected to the NC.

JAL3:

Just for clarification, the chutes I use are not from Hartle Engineering; I make them myself. I didn't even know what a Thermal Rider was until I purchased a few K&S kits last year.

He uses yellow kevlar thread for risers, and I use shiny colored button thread. I think by happenstance we use the same plastic sheet material for the chutes.

I'm really glad that everyone is so enthused about these kits. I'm getting a product line together now and hopefully by mid February the website will be up and ready.

FFH

Last edited:
JAL3:

Just for clarification, the chutes I use are not from Hartle Engineering; I make them myself. I didn't even know what a Thermal Rider was until I purchased a few K&S kits last year.

He uses yellow kevlar thread for risers, and I use shiny colored button thread. I think by happenstance we use the same plastic sheet material for the chutes.

I'm really glad that everyone is so enthused about these kits. I'm getting a product line together now and hopefully by mid February the website will be up and ready.

FFH

My apologies and I stand corrected. I had not seen that type of druable plastic chute from anywhere else so I made a bad assumption.

My only caution with these kits is not to fly them in the fall, next to a cornfield - without a tracking device. ;) LOL!

My only caution with these kits is not to fly them in the fall, next to a cornfield - without a tracking device. ;) LOL!

I hadn't thought of that. My club helps with an annual event at Medina Valley High School called the Cornfied Classic. Its an AFROTC rocket meet but we always do some exhibitions. We launch right next to the cornfield in October.

It should prove a good lession in camoflage.

LOL! Gotta Love any Odd-Roc and these Corn feed additions are Beaut's!

I've had a couple decorative corn ears hanging in the rocket lab waiting to be hollowed out and converted for a couple years... Glad to see i'm not the only Odd-Roc sick-O out here LOL!!!!!
Great job both JAL3 and Char!

more then a decade ago I did build and fly a Cornfield ODD-Roc I called "US Corn" as it's entirely built from a real corn stalk, Used the Rootball as Drag fins and a piece of one of the hollow roots as the launch lugs. Flys OK on A10-3T's and has servived 9 or 10 flights. It usually gets a few Odd looks at shows and demo set-ups:)

Last edited:
LOL! Gotta Love any Odd-Roc and these Corn feed additions are Beaut's!

I've had a couple decorative corn ears hanging in the rocket lab waiting to be hollowed out and converted for a couple years... Glad to see i'm not the only Odd-Roc sick-O out here LOL!!!!!
Great job both JAL3 and Char!

more then a decade ago I did build and fly a Cornfield ODD-Roc I called "US Corn" as it's entirely built from a real corn stalk, Used the Rootball as Drag fins and a piece of one of the hollow roots as the launch lugs. Flys OK on A10-3T's and has servived 9 or 10 flights. It usually gets a few Odd looks at shows and demo set-ups:)

Odd is good.

I think that says something about me.:D

odd odd their not odd rocs the 3fn are the odd rocs. its discrimination tell ya discrimination. :p

Latest posts

Back