Firefly on Ovation channel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
Ovation channel is having a "Firefly" marathon of sorts (three episodes per night) with all of them shown this Saturday.

Being new to cable or satellite TV this is basically a new show for me.

The great thing is that my wife likes it!

She's never been much for sci-fi but she likes "Firefly" and "Warehouse 13".

But NOT "Sanctuary"!

Been recording and watching two- three episodes per nite.

Great show. Heard about it before, but never saw it till this week.

Great shows.

" Good shot" .....
.................................." I was aiming for his head"

Being new to cable or satellite TV this is basically a new show for me.

The great thing is that my wife likes it!

She's never been much for sci-fi but she likes "Firefly" and "Warehouse 13".

It's nice to have someone in the house liking the same programs, isn't it? I can usually count on one of my boys for sci-fi and fantasy, which wasn't much of a surprise since that's the sort of reading he likes, but my daughter's taken to it too. She and I have been having a Doctor Who marathon these past two weeks as it's streaming on Netflix. First time for both of us. It's been a *really* good time.

We've never had cable either, so Netflix has opened up a lot of new stuff for us.

Ahh Firefly is awesome.

HotRod pick up the DVD's they aren't that expensive and if you can snag a 30% Borders coupon even less so. Some of the commentary on the episodes is hilarious.

Serenity the movie was really good too. All things considered (smashing a whole lot of back plot down to the beginning of the movie to catch non fans of the show up)

It's hard to pick a favorite quote, there are so many good ones but the Chain of Command bit is definitely up there!

Are they showing them in ordered as intended or the screwed up Fox order? (the right order starts with a 2 hour pilot and then is followed by the Train Job 1 hour pilot that Fox made them write over a weekend)

I just auditioned with Simon's monologue from Serenity-the-episode today. I love everything about the show - the dynamic between the nine central characters, the dystopian world, and especially the neat cinematography.

I was very pleased to get the box set for Christmas.

/tvnerd

All of firefly is on Hulu, in case you miss any of the shows. By far my favorite TV show of all time. I once considered making a flyable model of Serenity. A bit too challenging though...

My son and I love that show! I have the movie DVD, but not the episodes yet. I can't believe it only lasted one season.

Love the show but hate Fox for, like Mike said, hosing the show by showing it out of order then cancelling it after 8 episodes when nobody knew exactly what it was about.

You're going to love Niska. And Saffron, mmm.... Saffron. ;)

A warning about the subsequent Serenity movie tho, you may find it a bit jarring. :2:

Firefly is awesome :)

Serenity was great, too, in my top 5 fave movies of all time .

Going to fail to mention Summer Glau or I might get drool on the keyboard.........

~ AL

Are they showing them in ordered as intended or the screwed up Fox order? (the right order starts with a 2 hour pilot and then is followed by the Train Job 1 hour pilot that Fox made them write over a weekend)

They're showing them in the proper order.

Sadly, I didn't discover the show until after watching Serenity, only to discover it had been canceled. There's no justice when crap like The Bachelor or Jersey Shore keeps getting renewed but Firefly gets canned. :rolleyes:

They're showing them in the proper order.

Sadly, I didn't discover the show until after watching Serenity, only to discover it had been canceled. There's no justice when crap like The Bachelor or Jersey Shore keeps getting renewed but Firefly gets canned. :rolleyes:

So that's it?

Only 13 episodes and the pilot!

What a rip!:mad:

That was a good show!

'What ya'll ordered a dead guy for ?'

:lol::rofl::headbang:

You ever tried spraying a martini thru your nostrils ?
Priceless....

sandman:
that's how most of us felt when they canceled FireFly. Fox had it in the Friday night time slot that used to have X-files the only successful show ever in that slot. And not only did they show it completely out of order there were huge gaps due to baseball play offs. So while it developed a strong core fan base, the ratings never picked up because it was imposable to know when it would and would not be on because Fox is dumb. In good news though it lives on in ways. Dark Horse comics just released Books Back Story in a comic book, I haven't picked it up yet but the 8 page preview on the web site looks awesome. also it may still be possible to find the 3 comic series that bridges the show and movie and sort of wraps up the hands of blue arc.

roadkil:
I love that episode! My sister knitted my brother a Jayne hat for his birthday one year.

who and I'm kidding I love all the episodes

Awsome shoe...er show. Kaylee "Twixt my nethers" She was great on SG-Atlantis too. I gonna miss Wash and Book.:(
Josh Wheaton needs to do some more movies.:D

And I carried such a torch! And we coulda...goin' on a year now and I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!"

Mal: (horrified) "Oh God! I can't know that!"

Jayne: "I could stand to hear more."

Last edited:
sandman:
that's how most of us felt when they canceled FireFly. Fox had it in the Friday night time slot that used to have X-files the only successful show ever in that slot. And not only did they show it completely out of order there were huge gaps due to baseball play offs. So while it developed a strong core fan base, the ratings never picked up because it was imposable to know when it would and would not be on because Fox is dumb. In good news though it lives on in ways. Dark Horse comics just released Books Back Story in a comic book, I haven't picked it up yet but the 8 page preview on the web site looks awesome. also it may still be possible to find the 3 comic series that bridges the show and movie and sort of wraps up the hands of blue arc.

roadkil:
I love that episode! My sister knitted my brother a Jayne hat for his birthday one year.

who and I'm kidding I love all the episodes

I have some REALLY good news for anybody that missed the airings on Ovation channel.

In Sunday's flyer for Target Stores they had an ad for "Firefly" DVD set for $14.99!

$15.00 for all 13 episodes plus the 2 hour pilot and a a bunch of other stuff, gag reels, deleted scenes!

I just picked up my copy!:wink:

hey sandman ,, how much for one of these cones ?

serenity_aka_firefly.jpg

hey sandman ,, how much for one of these cones ?

They have cardstock models that you can make of that. I don't know where, but I have the files somewhere. Here are some photos as far as I got. I was just working on printer paper, to see how it all works. Then my plan was to go to balsa.

IMGP9639.jpg

IMGP9640.jpg

"Serenity" had some of the best movie lines ever:

"Faster. FASTER. FASTER WOULD BE BETTER."

"I swallowed a bug."

"Twixt my nethers."

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Define "interesting".
Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

And the best IMHO (because it so applies to rocketry):

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: But it ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flying is? Well, I suppose you do, since you already know what I'm about to say.
River Tam: I do. But I like to hear you say it.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Love. You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as a turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels. Makes her a home.

"The hero of Canton, the man they call... M-e-e-e-e-e-e-e!"

"Jaynestown", easily my favorite episode. :clap:

"You know, I've saved lives. Dozens. Maybe hundreds. I - I re-attached a girl's leg. Her whole leg. She named her hamster after me. I got a hamster. He drops a box of money, he gets a town."

Trivia has it: Adam Baldwin admitted to swiping the Jayne statue's head as a souvenir after filming the episode. Later on, additional shots were needed for the episode (scene where the crew first sees the statue) and the crack where the head was broken off and then reattached is visible.

Duh... who could resist a 3-ft tall bust of themselves? :roll:

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: But it ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flying is? Well, I suppose you do, since you already know what I'm about to say.
River Tam: I do. But I like to hear you say it.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Love. You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as a turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' before she keels. Makes her a home.

Love that quote.

Gonna have to pull out the dvds and start watching ...... sigh ....

~ AL

They have cardstock models that you can make of that. I don't know where, but I have the files somewhere. Here are some photos as far as I got. I was just working on printer paper, to see how it all works. Then my plan was to go to balsa.

I just saw that site whan I was looking for the BSG Viper and Star Wars X-Wing Fighter T-65

Daniel

BTW... what episode shows flashbacks of Mal finding and buying his ship Serenity?
He catches Kaylee getting her "nethers twixt".

Last edited:
I made a MMX Serenity once, but it was spectacularly underpowered.

As in, made it almost to the top of a three-foot rod underpowered.

I'm working on a larger one, though. Thinking about two feet long, 29mm mount but light enough for Es.

mjennings:

Now that would be cool. I need a "Jayne hat" to wear to winter launches.

Cool character kind of reminds me of someone....
---

Another favorite quote for this snowy day.
From SHINDIG
" I was wrong, guess this is my kind of party"

If you know some one who knits they are supposedly not all that hard. A Jayne Hat Google should result in a plethora of patterns.

I made a MMX Serenity once, but it was spectacularly underpowered.

As in, made it almost to the top of a three-foot rod underpowered.

I'm working on a larger one, though. Thinking about two feet long, 29mm mount but light enough for Es.

What are you working off of? Are you going for the carving method or the cardstock method, or something else entirely?

My Wife got me the GeekDad book for Christmas, and am now addicted to the GeekDad and GeekMom blogs. They posted this

Han Solo in FireFly

no it's not some weird cross over or a comparison of Mal and Han, but click the link and find out.

Back