Finishing Garage Floor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Has anyone ever finished off their garage floor? With either Sherwin Williams H&C or Rust-Oleum Epoxy?

I just finished off our garage by insulating, drywalling, painting, and installing a garage heater, and am considering just finishing off the floor as well - just to top it off. Just to give it that extra touch.

While unnecessary to do, I was just wondering if there's any other experience or thoughts?

I think it's worth the effort. It will make the garage brighter (especially if you use white), it'll be easier to clean, and you can add grit to make it slip resistant.

I'm putting down an epoxy floor in my garage one drip at a time.... I just have to remember to move my building table around....:D

Well, technically finishing off the floor qualifies as a "project" and we are rocketeers, so we LOVE projects. I'd vote "DO IT".

Yes, the floor is concrete.

We're thinking about going with the epoxy solvent system, versus the water base. I've heard the water base can bubble, especially during the rain/snow season - as the base is water itself.

Depending on what you use the garage for.

If you use it for parking a car, no matter which type you use, it will wear out.

If for storage, use the better one (epoxy) but it will make a mess, so be prepared for its use. You will need two coats. To avoid slipping, add some very fine sand, evenly, before it dries.

If the floor is humid, you will get bubbling over time. Cement does breathe so any covering will stop the breathing. If you have a lot of water on the floor ( rain, humidity, projects,etc) I would reconsider.

You could also consider industrial vinyl composite tile. I will probably do that in my garage next year. From what I understand, it wears much better then any of the epoxies or paints, if it starts to look worn you can strip and wax it, and if you damage a tile you can pop it up and replace it. There are great color choices and you can do stuff like black and white checker board for that racey look. Check out https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/ or the garage page at autopia.org for input from people that spend way too much time on their garages.

I used the epoxy. I put the sand in it to keep it from being slippery. I put it down specifically because I have water problems. Perhaps over time it will bubble up as Sunward said but after 4 years or so of having a lot of water on it it has held up quite well. My garage is near the water table so when it rains I used to get water coming up from the floor. I do not have that problem any more.

The fnished floor I heard is supposed to make oil clean up easier.

The tile idea sounds good. Epoxy covering/coatings WILL begin to peel and wear through in five to six years. Whatever "extra" done to concrete, needs to be done when it's poured and finished. BUT, the latest-greatest acid etching and staining systems should also be considered. With them, you can create virtually any look or effect you like.

If you go the carpet route: Green astro-turf, of course. :)

Someone told me about the Armstrong VCT tile thing; sound interesting - not sure if it's viable though.

Dude.... It sounds like you've got it together....

My basement is always in a state of shambles. A lifelong dream of mine is to finish the floor in a checkerboard pattern. I'm planning on building a full size helicopter down there... and it would just be cool as heck...

But.... the orange shag would be the "Cats meow"....

Back