How would you repair this pipe leak?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I discovered a leak in a water pipe in my basement that I have reason to believe has been there for over a year. Once underneath it, I had a set of papers get all wrinkly, but they were dry when I found them and no leaks in evidence at the time. While working on a project in the area this weekend I felt a tiny, tiny splash on my hand and it was a fragment of a drop of water. The leak is up high in the floor joists; the droplet fell, splashed on a valve on the pipe below, and a couple microliters hit my hand. I quickly found the leak; it drips maybe once every 5-10 minutes.

I won't bury the lede: I've reached out to a plumber I trust on a non-emergency basis, and asked him to schedule me in sometime next week. He'll do a good job and the repair will be under his bond/insurance.

But, I really can't let this stuff go. I'm handy and have sweated plenty of pipes in my day (which was years ago, really... :) )

Here are some pictures:

1635895587477.png
1635895639672.png

The pipe is the incoming tap water line pre-water softener. The softener is directly underneath the area shown (with the lower cut-off ball valve as the emergency cutoff if the softener dies). The other ball valve in the upper left is on the pipe that leads to a hosebib in the garage.

I really thought about tackling this myself, before deciding I could easily turn a simple job for a plumber into a huge expensive mess.

I thought about things like:
A) Drain pipes, clean off crusts, heat the failed solder joint in the T, hit with more solder. This will probably either completely not stop the leak or just delay it.
B) Drain pipes, cut a few inches of the pipe off on the failed side, heat joint, remove remaining piece from the T, clean inside of T, put in new piece of pipe with a full slip coupler. Better chance of working but the inside of the T join is probably a corroded mess.
C) Drain everything, cut out the T on all three legs including sufficient room to work, solder new measured lengths of copper into the T while it is accessible on the ground, then use full slip couplers to reposition the extended T to fit in the area where it was cut out. Carefully solder the 6 joints on the 3 couplers. This would probably work and probably is within my skill set and probably could be accomplished with no new tool purchases. But if it goes wrong, it's a mess and the house has no water at all.
D) Cut out the T, use sharkbite fittings (T with sharkbite and couplers with sharkbite to replace small lengths needed). I've never worked with sharkbite and would need a couple tools; by the time I bought everything I might as well have paid the plumber, plus, if it leaks I'm really screwed. I have no experience with getting it right in a "safe environment" that I can shut off without getting my family pissed at me.

The plumber, based on my experience, will probably cut the T out, and use PEX lengths to connect a T using these special clamp things he tells me last forever; he used them on a prior project that involved splicing into existing lines. So far, so good.

What would you guys do in this case?

I think Rich nailed it. If you start to tweak, you might take away options your trusted plumber would use to solve the problem and end up costing yourself money. Its a non-emergency, so manage the inconvenience, but do no harm.

I think we should establish 'Rharshberger's Law': "Wait for [x], until then come up with a way to [y] the [z]." We often screw ourselves accidentally by trying to 'help' or 'make do' in non-critical situations. . .at least I do. . .

Sandy.

I'd do option C without much worry...and maybe add a union where there should be some to make equipment and valve changes easier down the road.

But, gotta be comfortable sweating pipe....if not, just pay a pro 😃

I'm late and I see you've made your decision, but just to add on:

I'm just handy enough to make things slightly better. In the end, I always end up paying a professional to redo what I've done and it's always worth the money.

None of them, after seeing what I've done, have patted me on the head and said nice try. So they have customer service skills too.

The plumber, based on my experience, will probably cut the T out, and use PEX lengths to connect a T using these special clamp things he tells me last forever; he used them on a prior project that involved splicing into existing lines.
We had a hot water heater in the attic (who in their right mind puts a water heater in the attic?) and our plumber, after junking it, used PEX with clamps to reroute the water lines to the new heater, where it belongs on the ground floor. Been about three years now... no leaks.
EDIT: He spliced the PEX into the existing copper in the attic.

We had a hot water heater in the attic (who in their right minds puts a water heater in the attic?) and our plumber, after junking it, used PEX with clamps to reroute the water lines to the new heater, where it belongs on the ground floor. Been about three years now... no leaks.
My home has PEX in it and is 20 years old and no leaks, any new plumbing I add is copper if exposed (like the above floor legs of the water softener loop) or I use PEX and have the copper ring compression style tool (not the stainless hose clamp looking one). I do my own work because I have the experience, skills, time and tools, if I didn't have any two of those it would be time to call in one of several plumbers I know.

My home has PEX in it and is 20 years old and no leaks, any new plumbing I add is copper if exposed (like the above floor legs of the water softener loop) or I use PEX and have the copper ring compression style tool (not the stainless hose clamp looking one). I do my own work because I have the experience, skills, time and tools, if I didn't have any two of those it would be time to call in one of several plumbers I know.
Same here but I use the stainless rings because one tool can do multiple sizes of pipe and the tool I have can be used one handed in tight places.

Years ago I would have said sweat a new tee in etc. PEX has now been around for so long it has a good reputation so I would go that route now, using PEX with the pull-on sleeves, and soldering the relevant fitttings to the ends of the pipes on the house. I personally would not use SharkBite fittings, but then I have the tool for the PEX...

If the plumber is coming then leave it to them :).

C or D! Either is easy to do. Look at it this way, do it yourself for the satisfaction of a job well done by you…if that doesn’t work out, call the plumber. You won’t be out much if it goes awry.

Oh, and it’s a good excuse to buy a new tool or two!

Sharkbite fittings are magic in situations like this. They cost more than copper fittings but it’s well worth the money and you don’t need any special tools. Just cut out the leaky section and snap a replacement in. No sweating necessary.

I had a in a pipe leak under a dropped ceiling, I got some waterproof epoxy from my favorite hardware store, buffed the area with a small wire wheel and formed the epoxy around the area. It has held for 2 years now... Use twice as much as you think you need. I used a full package [it comes in stick form] and went 3 inches on either side of the leak which was a pinhole just like you have. Use gloves.

Answer 1: wait for the plumber. (not really breaking news here!)

Answer 2: C, except that the description above makes it sound like you're saving the old T. If you were, bite the bullet and spend an extra buck for a new T. It'll save far, far more headache...

I would have said D, except that I don't have experience with PEX. I know how to sweat copper in an effective but somewhat ugly manner.

I've got an appointment for next Friday. Since it's no emergency I didn't ask for a rush.

Part of me is chiding myself for spending money on something I could probably be successful at doing myself, but most of me is happy I won't be staying on a ladder sweating joints while hoping not to screw something up.

Plumbing is pretty easy IMHO. I'm only a fan of copper, and it's not hard to do. $40 in tools and supplies and you can tackle just about any copper job that you find.

Some things that make a job like this a snap:

MAPP Torch: burns hotter than propane and is a great compliment to current higher melting temp solders which are 100% tin
Tinner's Flux: Regular acid flux to clean pipe and get ready to accept solder, with the addition of ground tin that prewets the joint and makes it that much easier
Pipe Cleaning Tool: Plastic tool with a round wire brush that cleans the inside and outside of any crusted up pipe like you have there

Since the T you are taking out is pretty far from any other joint, it would be pretty easy to replace. If I were doing that job, I'd also replace that crusted up value and reuse the pipe in between. You would need a new T and also at least one "No Stop" union to allow you to piece that joint on the leg to the right of the T.

Curious what the plumber charges, I bet at least $300. Nothing against plumbers, they need to eat like everyone, but $260 can buy a lot of rocket related stuff. :D

Pete

Plumbing is pretty easy IMHO. I'm only a fan of copper, and it's not hard to do. $40 in tools and supplies and you can tackle just about any copper job that you find.

MAPP Torch: burns hotter than propane and is a great compliment to current higher melting temp solders which are 100% tin
Tinner's Flux: Regular acid flux to clean pipe and get ready to accept solder, with the addition of ground tin that prewets the joint and makes it that much easier
Pipe Cleaning Tool: Plastic tool with a round wire brush that cleans the inside and outside of any crusted up pipe like you have there

Since the T you are taking out is pretty far from any other joint, it would be pretty easy to replace. If I were doing that job, I'd also replace that crusted up value and reuse the pipe in between. You would need a new T and also at least one "No Stop" union to allow you to piece that joint on the leg to the right of the T.

Curious what the plumber charges, I bet at least $300. Nothing against plumbers, they need to eat like everyone, but $260 can buy a lot of rocket related stuff. :D

Pete
Good thoughts. I used to have a MAPP torch decades ago; I thought MAPP was discontinued some years ago. There's a replacement of some sort but I've only got my propane torch at the moment.

Nonetheless it's interesting to hear how different folks would handle it.
A big part of my decision to use a plumber is that it falls on his liability insurance if something goes wrong. I could get a handyman to do it for half the price, and often do use a good handyman, but this thing on the main feed could get messy if something goes pear shaped. I just got cancelled from my old homeowner's insurance (due to two hail claims and one sump related basement flood) in the past five years so I'm taking no chances.

Pete
Have you bought a roll of solder lately....ouch! Where I live a 4oz roll of lead free pipe solder is $18.98, I know it doesn't take a lot per joint but still ouch.

Hey guys,

I'm happy to report the leak is fixed quite nicely. My father/son team plumber came out Friday, and they made short work of cutting out the problem area (cut two of the three legs, sweated off the third) and soldered in a nice new T with needed extensions to replace the cut parts. I probably could have done this fine, but they knew exactly how to get the water out of the pipes and had the tools and physical ability to do it right up there by the joists without any trouble.

1636994289050.png

Repair seems rock solid and was worth the cost so that I don't have to wonder if some amateur repair I did would fail one day.

Good thoughts. I used to have a MAPP torch decades ago; I thought MAPP was discontinued some years ago.
Well, there's MAPP and there's MAPP. The name comes from the original formulation, methylacetylene-propadiene and propane. (Thank you Wikipedia). I don't remember why that formulation was abandoned; it was replaced by essentially pure propylene. So the yellow bottles that say MAPP no longer have "true" MAPP, but still give you a hotter flame than propane.

Hey guys,

I'm happy to report the leak is fixed quite nicely.
View attachment 490207
Repair seems rock solid and was worth the cost so that I don't have to wonder if some amateur repair I did would fail one day.
If you're happy, we're happy. It's almost a shame the other one didn't leak too just so you could have had it resoldered too. (Yuck!)

In regard to the options you laid out in the OP, I would have done none of those (I think). Usually, one can get enough movement in a pipe installation to heat a sweated joint and pull it apart. I'd have taken it apart, cleaned everything up, and put it right back together. And maybe that other one while I was in the neighborhood. (Yuck!) That's close to your option A, but it's got to come all the way apart to be well cleaned. If there is not enough movement to get it apart, then I'd have made one cut to let me get it apart, cleaned, and reassembled with a new coupling, or two if I really had to. Which is what it looks like your plumber did.

They did nice work. it's always tough up against the rafters. And I see they kept the couplers far enough away from the T that they wouldn't melt the "T" joints while sweating the couplers. Curious, maybe you don't know -
1. Did they get their pieces cut and then sweat the "T" on the bench? Usually you can move pipes enough to still get the piece in.
2. Did they wrap a wet rag or similar around the "T" while they were sweating the couplers? Or am I all our of order here?

I mean, for all I know, a pro can flux the pieces, assemble them and just move along from joint to joint quickly sweating as they go, esp with MAPP. Just thought bench assembly would minimize the flame input up near those rafters... I have a couple of scorch marks on mine!

They did nice work. it's always tough up against the rafters. And I see they kept the couplers far enough away from the T that they wouldn't melt the "T" joints while sweating the couplers. Curious, maybe you don't know -
1. Did they get their pieces cut and then sweat the "T" on the bench? Usually you can move pipes enough to still get the piece in.
2. Did they wrap a wet rag or similar around the "T" while they were sweating the couplers? Or am I all our of order here?

I mean, for all I know, a pro can flux the pieces, assemble them and just move along from joint to joint quickly sweating as they go, esp with MAPP. Just thought bench assembly would minimize the flame input up near those rafters... I have a couple of scorch marks on mine!
Not sure. I trust these guys (this is the third time I used them, and the prior projects were much more involved) so I just showed them the issue and left them to it. Took them only a short time and they were done. They are detail oriented and probably used wet rag.

When soldering near the rafters, wood framing, wires, etc, I fold up 8 or 10 layers of the heavy duty aluminum foil, and cover everything I don't want charred with that. Makes a very effective radiant heat barrier. You can hit it with the torch and the first layer or two might burn and turn to ash, but the wood underneath will be fine. I have a couple of the nomex insulation blankets sold for the purpose, but the aluminum foil is easier to mold to what you need to protect.

Latest posts

Back