Finally.....some glider pics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstronMike

Reaction score
At long last, finally got my stepdad to come over and shoot some of the stuff with the digital camera. Wished I could clean up some of these, but please dont laugh too hard.......

First here is the EconoXL, something I just slapped together for the heck of it and successfully flew this last weekend on a G64. Its mainly constructed from Adams board, and as large as this looks, only comes in at 30 ounces!!

Whoops, attached the sideways pic of that last one, so turn your head funny to see it.

Up now is an insane rendering of 'how large and light can you possibly make this', and this is what I ended up with. Over 2000in sq of wing area, only 39z, and its flown on a G64 as well, albeit very drag limited as you can see.

It actually is in two sections, the upper must tightly 'plug in' to the lower, and the joint TAPED for flight. Yea, let the RSOs here see me doing that.........

It looks like a mess, but actually glides great, although it sure didnt get very high..

This is my 2.6" CHAD Bomarc, not really meant to be a showpiece, but it flies better than youd think, usually using F20ish motors. The glider itself is only around 6z, so that helps. Yep, good old Adams Readiboard to save weight again.

Brianc remembers this one for sure :D :D :D

This piece o junk is the Concorde I made to replace the NIIIIICE one that glided off on me a few months ago (how the heck do you lose one of *THESE*???).

I used whatever spare tubes and Adams board I had to slap this together, and its still nice, even if I had to roll the nose from thin cardstock (wheres sandman when you need him) instead of a good ole PNC-80K.

Its based on the BT80, this makes nice midpower sized gliders, and with Adams board material you still end up under a pound, even with a heavy pod installed. Uses F20s and the like due to its lightness.

Ok, time for the ugliest and most flown midpower glider of em all, but the one that you cant beat for solid flights.

This design is the original of my 'Econo' series, which describes gliders designed for large size and light weight so they may be flown on 'economical' motors instead of my old HPR fat pig gliders. Interestingly enough, Id been making these before Aerotech started selling Econojets, so I had to make gliders based on those motors.

This was one of my first F20 sized gliders, and although this particular one is still a little fat, it certainly flys very well on F20s and such. Brianc remembers this one as well from the May ROCK launch......

Not leaving all the fun to F/G motors, this is another 'how big can you make me and still be good on a D12' project.

This has a bit over 500 in sq of wing area and only comes in at 8z, and boosts dead straight, so it still gets up there well. In addition, this doesnt have a pod ejection since that adds more weight.

It uses 'idiot Astron recovery' which is simply taping a bent paper clip to a D12, and basically pinching the elevator down for boost, and then ejecting. Easy to find said casing since glider boosts straighter than a rocket (oops, can I say that here).

Despite the apparent forward glide CG by this action, it glides VERY well, Im even impressed to a degree, but the wing loading makes up for that.

Something like this I gotta write up for Sprockets someday.....

Heres a pair of smaller C powered suckers, an old Novus design, as well as a profile type that works by ejecting a forward section, which I forgot to add before this was taken.

You can see the burning on the aft section of that one, as I have the main tube upwards on the vehicle a bit to get the CG right.

The Novus is basically the grandfather of the Econo line, a very reliable type I came up more than 20 years ago. Its best features are good old core ejection (like a SkyDart or Bomarc), a well dihedralled main wing as well a top mounted elevator section, which is much easier to work with rather than two outbound elevons.

These types I used to use balsa to construct, but that got expensive when you make lots of these and larger ones. Then I started paying strict attention to what material for wings weighed, going from thin light cardboards, other foamcore types, Artcor, and finally the king of lightness, Adams Readiboard.

Ah, how times have changed........

Well, now, you cant make a bunch of big gliders and NOT run around without holding em correctly.

If youre confident, hold it like Im doing here, nice and diagonally, with your arm just so, showing off the largest amount of glider area you can. Yea, theyll see you well enough.....

If youre scared of an impending crash, well, hold it so the wings are horizontal, so it looks like youre 'just got a rocket theres'.

But this is much better :cool: :cool:

Two points:

1 - How does something that large fly away and get lost? You didn't add RC gear! Those things are big enough that they are BEGGING to be made into RCRGs! Which leads to my second point:

2 - Are you gonna post the plans to those puppies anywhere? They look like they'd be a hoot to build, and as I said in my first point, they beg to be made into RCRGs. I gotta build me one! :D

Greg

plans would be great...

Adams board appears to be the same as its more generic name, foam core board?

Originally posted by skippy-2
Amazing collection of gliders!

So... what is Adams board? :confused:

Adams board refers to the foamboard type made by Adams Plastics, they call it ReadiBoard. It looks like regular Hunt foamboard, but its half the weight. It is also not quite as sturdy as traditional boards, but its strong enough when used properly and you pick your motors well.

You may find this at a Dollar Tree store or the like, if so, its only a dollar a sheet there. Or you can order a 50sht case from Adams directly, this is more per sht but you end up with fresh factory packed stuff. And you can see I use a lot of this stuff.

You could just use regular fmbd, but youd end up at least 2x the overall weight, and therefore have to up your impulse, not to mention a heavier glider as well. Still, that beats splicing a LOT of balsa together!

Originally posted by gpoehlein
Two points:

1 - How does something that large fly away and get lost? You didn't add RC gear! Those things are big enough that they are BEGGING to be made into RCRGs! Which leads to my second point:

2 - Are you gonna post the plans to those puppies anywhere? They look like they'd be a hoot to build, and as I said in my first point, they beg to be made into RCRGs. I gotta build me one! :D

Greg

I have done some CHAD RCRG's with this stuff, mainly by just taping the electronics up front, and tying into the elevator and vertical stab with string. Cant get more 'econo' than that, although I do need better RC gear.

One of these days Ill send plans to Sprockets, probably of the easier ones first.

Originally posted by Stewart32
plans would be great...

Adams board appears to be the same as its more generic name, foam core board?

Yes, Adams ReadiBoard does appear to be exactly the same as the usual types found at Walmart, craft stores, and office suppliers, in that its the same size and thickness.

But as Ive stated, the big deal with this stuff is *weight*. Remember that D12 version posted earlier? Try making that out of standard fmbd or even light corrugated cardboard. The end result will not be boostable on such a motor.

Why is this such a big deal? Well, most of these nonstandard gliders are deltoids, with a lot of wing area at the rear of the design. Hence, that tends to bring the CG aft, and then you have to compensate by doing something up front to get a good boost CG. It may be a heavy weighted pod, nose wt if an RG, or an ejected section.

Point is, any extra weight at the rear of such a model usually means adding around the same up front. Its like quitting work for 2 months and just eating all day, you end up real big but dont actually 'see' it till its on you. What happens if your D12 ejecting glider ended up at 12z instead of 8? It goes nowhere.

Before making something with a lot of wing area, please weigh your intended usage material to see about what youll end up with on your butt (the gliders, not yours he he).

Originally posted by AstronMike
Adams board refers to the foamboard type made by Adams Plastics, they call it ReadiBoard. It looks like regular Hunt foamboard, but its half the weight. It is also not quite as sturdy as traditional boards, but its strong enough when used properly and you pick your motors well. <snip>

Cool! Thanks for the info. BTW... Happy Birthday MIKE!

Brianc remembers this one for sure :D :D :D
Oh yeah! And it's not a 'crap scale' by any means.

Great to see some of these besides in your trunk. :)

One of these days, I need to hook up with you to discuss the foam
lifting body design I have floating around in my head...

Thanks, Mike. I've wanted a look at your gliders for years. I've built a few foamboard jobs myself over the years, but an H73 is the larget motor I've used. Great to see yer stuff.

-Braz

Wow. I'm suitably impressed and humbled.

Been working on various upscale gliders but your monsters make mine look like little toys. I second the request for plans for one of the big ones!

Geof

Originally posted by ELBRAZ
Thanks, Mike. I've wanted a look at your gliders for years. I've built a few foamboard jobs myself over the years, but an H73 is the larget motor I've used. Great to see yer stuff.

-Braz

Braz,

Actually, these are are my newer midpower versions. All of my old HPR gliders, went through 12 of em in all, are long gone. What youve seen here is pretty close to what I used to do on H, I and some J motors. Big BIG difference is the weight and strength.

Back then, I used to build for certain motors, such as I211 or even J415. That meant the opposite of what I do now, which was use the heaviest, strongest, and reinforce the crap outta them so theyd hold up. Yea, had some nice flights (especially boosts) on HPR, but those overweight pigs just didnt glide well nor long, and it got too $$$.

Its actually more fun this way, and more of a challenge.....you cant keep a solid wing 500 in sq glider at 8z without doing your homework. Much better than "please pass my fiberglass, and yours too".

Incredible stuff! Can you explain or show how the rear elevons pop up at ejection? I get the D12 paper clip thing on the one glider, but it looks as though strings are involved with others.

I love your gliders!

And BTW, just noticed---

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :D

Originally posted by Tallman
Incredible stuff! Can you explain or show how the rear elevons pop up at ejection? I get the D12 paper clip thing on the one glider, but it looks as though strings are involved with others.

On those designs using the single elevator, I can either just eject the motor casing which has a large bent paper clip on it to hold down the elevator for boost and release it for glide. Or, if Im ejecting an internal pod (such as in the Bomarc and F20 flavor of EconoGlider) then the gliders main BT is too large for said paper clip to reach up there. What I do then is just tie said paper clip to a cord and anchor that to the rear of the pod, sort of like a shock cord (nonelastic, of course). Pod ejects, snatching clip off, elevator free.

The Concorde, and other gliders using two outboard elevons, is done a bit differently. I run a thin strip under the 'cut out area' where the elevons are, and the paper clips on a cord clip the elevons to that for boost flatness. Since this requires 2 clips, one is at each end of the cord, with its middle tied around the pod, behind the rear C ring.

I do not care for the old 'elevon hold down bars' that others have used, these get out of adjustment very easily, and if your elevons arent flattened for boost, well, you have problems.

You cant get any easier or simpler than just to clip the control surface to either the top of the main BT if you can, or to a backing if outbound. Since Ive done them this way, boost issues due to elevon/vator misalignments are practically zero.

Yea, not an elegant solution, but Im a janitor NOT an engineer :eek:

At long last, finally got my stepdad to come over and shoot some of the stuff with the digital camera. Wished I could clean up some of these, but please dont laugh too hard.......

I wouldn't think any of your stuff is laughable. A lot of it looks like well engineered experimental techniques at work. Heck, you build inexpensively and get the most money per flight with the glide times.

I know you do this for your own enjoyment, but I think you could easily pair up with a vendor that is lacking in the "glider" department and could mass distribute these. Royalties collected could easily fund more exotic designs and materials. Just a thought. :)

Adams board refers to the foamboard type made by Adams Plastics, they call it ReadiBoard. It looks like regular Hunt foamboard, but its half the weight. It is also not quite as sturdy as traditional boards, but its strong enough when used properly and you pick your motors well. [Snip]
Hi Mike,

Any new projects lately? ;)

That Adams Readi-Bard sounds like good stuff. I will checkout the Dollar Tree here in Sarasota.

Regards,
Mike (the other one)

Readi-Board®- Adams Plastics, Inc.

Back