Finally, More Glider Photos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstronMike

Reaction score
Its been exactly two years since Ive posted any photos, and since my stepdad showed up with camera the other day, now I can post whats been going on here the last two years.

First up is a 'dork scale' X-15, in reaction to the hullabaloo all you guys had over the recently released Hangar 11 model. However, mine is totally made from Readiboard, and it GLIDES, and rather well at that. The glider itself comes in at just over 8z, while the pod is a bit more than that. Still flyable on an F25, this might just get me to do a 6" based version on a G.

The body is basically a 4" square turned to a diamond. Yea, like I said, dork scale, but this still looks OK. Overscaled the rear stabs a bit as well.

x15.jpg

And next, we have some of my 'smaller' gliders. The ones in the first pic are a Maxi Marauder (I used to kit this) and of course, that BT-60 XB-70 that Bunny himself got me to make. Flys well too, even if the pod did need more lead than Id like. Still, each of these with pod totals only 8z, which is good for a D12 and great on an E9.

The second photo shows two 'standard sized' variable geometry gliders. One is a swing wing like a Tomcat, the other a scissor wing. Both fly fine and dandy on D12s and are lighter than they look. Readiboard construction saved a lot of weight here. In fact, the swing wing is very reliable, it boosts well and rolls out nicely. *THIS* is what Estes shoulda kitted...or not...

smalls.jpg

standardvgs.jpg

Now, we have the upscales of those nice swing/scissor wings here. Despite thier sizes, they only come in at a pound, and use twin 24mm. These might look bad but they make up for it in the sky.

Also, here is a pair of flex wing RGs. These work by just opening the wings at apogee, ejecting nothing. Easy to make but among the HARDEST gliders to trim!! The one with its wings folded is actually a half scale downscale of my old FlexFire HPR glider. These you either love or hate....

midsizevgs.jpg

flexieRGs.jpg

Now time for some meat, well, sort of :eek:

First is a plain jane delta for G motors called the Gammon. It, with pod, comes in at around 2lbs, with the glider itself around 14z. Problem with Readiboard construction at this size, it likes to warp, and not always in a positive way. Hence the bass strips reinforcing those fore/aft wing edges.

The second is another XB-70. This hasnt flown yet, and in fact, is being modded for a ducted ejection system. I dont like pods over 6' long, especially considering the weight THIS thing needs for boost!! Believe it or not, Im going to eject a *Canned Good* out near the front and have that somehow pull the elevator pin. Yea, a hack fix, and one I will NOT attempt around civilians!! :surprised::rotflol::surprised:

NOTE: Couldnt get the Gammon photo to work, thatll come later...

largexb70.jpg

Sticking with the variable geometry theme and adding a dose of AstronMike's warped mind, you end up with these..........

executioner.jpg

knightscrawler.jpg

Ok, I think this is a postable shot of the EconoXL, about the biggest glider you can make and stay at 32z. It is an all up RG, using a tethered plug to activate the elevator.

It is actually a very watered down version of one of my first HPR gliders, this is the same size but optimized for lightness (probably too much so).

IM000434[2].jpg

those glders look real cool - just for the size of them - and i thought my ecee thunder was big!
and chance of a decription on how to build them?

It looks like the Washington Monument was the inspiration for a few of them...;)

Back