Filler after priming?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4regt4

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got the rocket ready to paint. Or so I thought....

I had to use some Elmer's Wood Filler where there was a seam in the 2 body tubes. What I didn't notice - until after applying a heavy coat of primer/filler - was some pits in the wood filler.

Do I need to sand off ALL the primer in this area, or is there a filler product that can be applied over primer that has been mostly removed? These pits are kind of deep, it would require quite a lot of sanding to remove all the primer deep inside those pits.

I'm looking for the quick solution if one exists, not the laborious solution.

Hans.

Just hit it with the filler/ credit card trick and let it cure well. Reshoot some primer and let cure. Repeat as required.

Got the rocket ready to paint. Or so I thought....

I had to use some Elmer's Wood Filler where there was a seam in the 2 body tubes. What I didn't notice - until after applying a heavy coat of primer/filler - was some pits in the wood filler.

Do I need to sand off ALL the primer in this area, or is there a filler product that can be applied over primer that has been mostly removed? These pits are kind of deep, it would require quite a lot of sanding to remove all the primer deep inside those pits.

I'm looking for the quick solution if one exists, not the laborious solution.

Hans.

I used Elmers Carpenters Wood Filler over the primer on the nose cone of my scratch build F-79. No issues.

000.JPG 001.JPG 001.JPG

That's good to hear. I was thinking that the Elmer's might not be compatible with a surface that isn't very porous like wood or paper is.

Hans.

Primer is pretty porous. That's why a car body will rust with just primer. What kind of primer are you using?

Back