Feasibility Questions On Upscale Shuttle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlrflyer

Reaction score
I think I've bit off more than I can chew for my first post. Given the exhorbitant amounts people pay on Ebay for Estes #1284 Master Series Space Shuttle and my desire to build a shuttle, I want your thoughts on my idea. I can get the #1467 Space Shuttle starter set, the one that has the power pod and the shuttle glides on ejection, but generally doesn't work very well. My thought is to use that shuttle as an upscale version of #1284 and scratch build the ext. tank and SRBs. How feasible is this? I don't believe JimZ has the plans on his site, I had hoped he would so I'd have some guide to go by. I'm hoping somebody might give me some direction as I've never tried a scratch build of this complexity before. I'm hoping I can fly this on a D12, but I'm beginning to think it may require AT power.

I think your idea is feasible, but would be difficult. I'm in the midst of converting the Estes Shuttle Stack to an Energia/Buran and that is complex enough. I also have one of the foam shuttles and in the future I'd like to make it the basis of a larger Energia/Buran. You need to look at George Gassaway's site, as suggested above. His is 1/72, and yours would be approximately 1/100 scale. You're talking about an External Tank with about a 3" diameter BT for starters. Definitely a custom made nose cone for that and the solids. Unless you cluster, a D is not going to lift it, but you could keep it at mid power. I would suggest removing the BT from inside the orbiter and perhaps hollowing it out some to cut down weight. I say go for it!
Drew Tomko

Back