Favorite type of launch to watch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite type of launch to watch is when you finally convince a co-worker (friend) at work to get together on Friday after work, head to Hobby Lobby and purchase a rocket kit each. We head over to my house and build over a few beers and pizza. Saturday morning we paint and apply the finishing touches and get the rockets prepped for next weekend's launch.

We greet each other back at work after a fun filled evening build and anticipate all week about Saturdays weekend launch coming up and hope nothing goes wrong.

Saturday morning finally arrives and we meet up at the launch site and double check everything to make sure we prepped everything correctly. I want to make sure his craft gets back safely for repeat flights to encourage him to pursue the hobby further. We set up on the pad and start countdown and Wooosh!!!

Watching the excitement and introducing a new friend into the hobby is my favorite type of launch to watch. Even if it's LPR on the most basic level. We made lasting memories and now have a story behind our models.

Anything that does something autonomously....

A.) Two Stage flights
B.) Airstarts/Clustered motors

Close to these would be really fast acceleration flights...warp 9's and even some of the smaller F flights that have been neck snappers.

Anything larger than a K is really cool, but in this day and age, after you've seen one M you've kind of seen 'em all. Ok I'm kidding. There is nothing blasé about an M.

My favorite/most memorable launch had to be Steve Eves Saturn V at MDRA, and the Red Glare O drag race. The air was still and the smoke columns and trails just hung around on the pad for what seemed like 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Back