FAT"sidewinder"BOY...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
Well with all the talk about FATBOYS and such ,I got to thinking.

I looked over at the rocket fleet and spotted my Estes FB that i converted to a 4 x 18mm cluster and stretched it 3 inches......she`s a great flier.

You know me and my love of all things missiles ,and thought a nice littel "Sidewinder" version would be nice.

- 2 x 24mm cluster
-TTW fins ,both forward and aft ,Basswood of course
-Kevlar SC
-18" TopFlight thinmill chute
-Monokote trim

......and yup ,plenty of epoxy (sorry guys):blush:

This was a pretty fast "power" build ,waiting for paint to dry was all the down time.

Cheers

Paul T

phpExxtsxAM.jpg

phpPlQs4JAM.jpg

phprCWZeRAM.jpg

phpufAXY6AM.jpg

Here`s a side by side of the original Estes FatBoy my Sidwinder version.

Regards

phpJcHJkTAM.jpg

phpjd5aX7AM.jpg

That is so cool! Very nicely finished.

Thankyou Dean !

I didn`t get too cazy with the paint job ,heck I didn`t even fill the spirals ,the primer and paint took care of that !

Cheers

Paul T

That's yet another sweet rocket, Paul! Do the rollerons spin?

Thankyou sir !

No, no spinning rollerons ,not even I`m that crazy LOL

Just a little hand painted Testors Chrome and Copper to give`r that look.

Take care

Paul T

AWESOME JOB!!! wootsmiley.gif

Plans Man!

We Need Plans!

I used to work the AIM-9P's on the F-111E's out at RAF Upper Heyford, UK. I need to build this (Multiple Times)!

Last edited:
Wow Paul!!

Another thing of beauty!!

Cheers!!

AWESOME JOB!!! View attachment 147998

Plans Man!

We Need Plans!

I used to work the AIM-9P's on the F-111E's out at RAF Upper Heyford, UK. I need to build this (Multiple Times)!

That must have been a cool job ,and those F-111s "aardvaks" are great looking jets ,saw one at an airshow...very cool when they dump fuel into the nozzles and make those huge rooster tail flames....awesome !

No plans ,just broke out some BT a nose cone and some Basswood and got to work ,finished in an afternoon.

Oh yah....Sidewinders are cool !

Cheers

Paul T

Thanks Mark ,TopRamen and Lane !

It was a good excuse to use up some tubes and parts.I was hoping to geto ut today and fly with the guys ,but the winds are bitter and gusty :(

Oh well ,I just go build something !

Take care fellas !

Paul T

It's like a Sidewinder "goony" - Brilliant! Very cool (and inspiring) Mr. T!

It's like a Sidewinder "goony" - Brilliant! Very cool (and inspiring) Mr. T!

Thankyou mister !

I suppose it is more of a goony isn`t it.

I was toying around with an AGM65 Maverick missile ,since it has that type of nosecone.....hmmmmmm

Paul T

Well with all the talk about FATBOYS and such ,I got to thinking.

I looked over at the rocket fleet and spotted my Estes FB that i converted to a 4 x 18mm cluster and stretched it 3 inches......she`s a great flier.

You know me and my love of all things missiles ,and thought a nice littel "Sidewinder" version would be nice.

- 2 x 24mm cluster
-TTW fins ,both forward and aft ,Basswood of course
-Kevlar SC
-18" TopFlight thinmill chute
-Monokote trim

......and yup ,plenty of epoxy (sorry guys):blush:

This was a pretty fast "power" build ,waiting for paint to dry was all the down time.

Cheers

Paul T

Great looking build,can you show how you apply the monokote film?I was thinking of using that for a roll pattern but have never tried it,do you need heat to adhere it or is it like a vinyl decal?Peel and apply?

Great looking build,can you show how you apply the monokote film?I was thinking of using that for a roll pattern but have never tried it,do you need heat to adhere it or is it like a vinyl decal?Peel and apply?

First off,thanks for your kind words !

The MonoKote I use is very much like a peel and apply vinyl ,and once applied to a glossy surface it`s down ,but you can adjust it if you do not apply too much pressure at first ,then I burnish it down.

It comes in strips 5" x 36" and in many colors as well as shiny gold ,chrome and dull aluminum,as well as in checkerboard patterns such as blk on clear ,blk on white ,yellow and blk ,red and white ,red on clear.....I think that`s it ?

As mentioned,it really needs to be applied over a glossy surface for best results and may be clear coated.

As in this build and if you look at my Der Red Sidewinder scratch build ,I made a cardstock patternfor the rolleron covers and used it as a cutting template,using a new Xacto blade.

The Monokote also sticks to itself ,which you can see in the rolleron covers and seeker head ports on the Der Red Sidewinder build.I used different sized punches to make those windows and again two sized templates for the covers.

For making bands, or like you want ,roll patters ,you just flip the Monokote over and mark you dimensions and cut away.

Many years ago,I built the Cosmodrome BlackBrant II and used black Monokote over gloss white paint for the entire rocket ,even the checkerboard fin patterns.

I`ll see if I can find a picture of it to give you an idea.I also made roll pattersn on my Madcow Super DX3 using Monokote ,again I`ll see if I have a pic.

Yessir ,it is great stuff and can be used for many applications....heck...I have dozens of strips hanging on my shop door.

NOTE: it best to keep the strips flat or hanging ,as it tends to bubble and seperate if rolled up (tends to creep from the backing) but it does not seem to affect the vinyl too much.

I hope that helps you out !

Now to find those pics.

Take care

Paul T

It's the stuff called "trim" monokoat, correct? Not the regular stuff?

It's the stuff called "trim" monokoat, correct? Not the regular stuff?

Indeed sir...indeed.I should have mentioned that.

Yes,the other stuff comes in rolls and needs to be ironed on ,and shrinks tight like a drum.

I a lucky SOB ,as I have a bunch of hobby shops in my city ,2 of which sell both types of Monokote product.

Usually R/C joints sell it.

Paul t

I found those pictures of the DX3 and an oldie of the Cosmodrome BBII (taken in my shop years ago...before revamping to the "skunkworks" rocketshop LOL)

Regards

Paul T

phpcP2l3wAM.jpg

phpgbO2tvAM.jpg

First off,thanks for your kind words !

The MonoKote I use is very much like a peel and apply vinyl ,and once applied to a glossy surface it`s down ,but you can adjust it if you do not apply too much pressure at first ,then I burnish it down.

It comes in strips 5" x 36" and in many colors as well as shiny gold ,chrome and dull aluminum,as well as in checkerboard patterns such as blk on clear ,blk on white ,yellow and blk ,red and white ,red on clear.....I think that`s it ?

As mentioned,it really needs to be applied over a glossy surface for best results and may be clear coated.

As in this build and if you look at my Der Red Sidewinder scratch build ,I made a cardstock patternfor the rolleron covers and used it as a cutting template,using a new Xacto blade.

The Monokote also sticks to itself ,which you can see in the rolleron covers and seeker head ports on the Der Red Sidewinder build.I used different sized punches to make those windows and again two sized templates for the covers.

For making bands, or like you want ,roll patters ,you just flip the Monokote over and mark you dimensions and cut away.

Many years ago,I built the Cosmodrome BlackBrant II and used black Monokote over gloss white paint for the entire rocket ,even the checkerboard fin patterns.

I`ll see if I can find a picture of it to give you an idea.I also made roll pattersn on my Madcow Super DX3 using Monokote ,again I`ll see if I have a pic.

Yessir ,it is great stuff and can be used for many applications....heck...I have dozens of strips hanging on my shop door.

NOTE: it best to keep the strips flat or hanging ,as it tends to bubble and seperate if rolled up (tends to creep from the backing) but it does not seem to affect the vinyl too much.

I hope that helps you out !

Now to find those pics.

Take care

Paul T

Thank you Paul,I'll have to get to the Hobby Shop and pick some up.

Paul awesome job!!! Very fun! :cheers:
I also spend a few years with the 20th TFW at RAF Upper Heyford. But never with AIM-9s. Special weapons, bomb racks (like so), and drop tanks. But that's way way back... 1978-1980

Thanks Jeff and Rick !!

I just finished my Mega Der Red Max Sidewinder scratch build yesterday.I`ll shall have to post pictures of that this weekend ,been very busy working out of town ,so things are slowing down in the old shop !

Hey Jeff, that`s a lovely picture of the old F-111 "Aardvark".....one of my favorites !

Cheers fellows

Paul t

Hey Jeff, that`s a lovely picture of the old F-111 "Aardvark".....one of my favorites !

Cheers fellows

Paul t

Well it's a Blue tail which sucks. Everyone knows if you want to fly that day, head for Yellow One. :)
We were the closest to End of Runway check. I spent many a week on the 'alert pad'. It was good duty... 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off... IIRC every other weekend was a long weekend. But ORIs (Operational Readiness Inspections) were brutal as full bird Colonels were given that command as a stepping stone to General.

I remember when the revetments were being built... they had winches to winch the F111s backwards into them hot... we were never allowed to use them. So they'd shut down with the wings forward, and we'd back them in with a tug (but the clearance from the walls to wing tips were kinda harrowing if you were the tug driver!). Oh and ventilation in the revetments was never up to a running F111E. Your eyes would start to water...

I was ... ****... 21... :facepalm: :cry:

Last edited:
Well it's a Blue tail which sucks. Everyone knows if you want to fly that day, head for Yellow One. :)
We were the closest to End of Runway check. I spent many a week on the 'alert pad'. It was good duty... 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off... IIRC every other weekend was a long weekend. But ORIs (Operational Readiness Inspections) were brutal as full bird Colonels were given that command as a stepping stone to General.

I remember when the revetments were being built... they had winches to winch the F111s backwards into them hot... we were never allowed to use them. So they'd shut down with the wings forward, and we'd back them in with a tug (but the clearance from the walls to wing tips were kinda harrowing if you were the tug driver!). Oh and ventilation in the revetments was never up to a running F111E. Your eyes would start to water...

I was ... ****... 21... :facepalm: :cry:

Yellow tails? C'mon... Get Real! You want the job done, and done right... Get a Red Tail!

I worked with everything we carried, from the dumb bombs to the occasional laser guided (in the load barn only), AIM-9's, and the kind of stuff that could really ruin your whole... planet. To this day, I still use a phrase I 'oft heard in the barn... "Suitable for Load Training".

Gore_F-111E_InflightRefuel.jpg

Last edited:
Whatever happened to the Semroc Saturn 1b you were building?
Thanks Jeff and Rick !!

I just finished my Mega Der Red Max Sidewinder scratch build yesterday.I`ll shall have to post pictures of that this weekend ,been very busy working out of town ,so things are slowing down in the old shop !

Cheers fellows

Paul t

Sod VERY COOL "GOONYWINDER"

Hey stop buying trim sheets. 5 x 36" for what $5.00 or so..

HEck I'll sell you (or anyone) 15" x 12" for $3.00 all day long!

Yellow tails? C'mon... Get Real! You want the job done, and done right... Get a Red Tail!

I worked with everything we carried, from the dumb bombs to the occasional laser guided (in the load barn only), AIM-9's, and the kind of stuff that could really ruin your whole... planet. To this day, I still use a phrase I 'oft heard in the barn... "Suitable for Load Training".

I was the crew chief of "Balls One". 68-001. Lost I believe to a crash long after I was gone. Wish I had known then what I know now. I'da been retired 13 years ago... :cry:

Yeah... I was at UH when Balls 1 went down in The Wash (Feb 5, 1990). I remember running into the crew chief later that day (I hadn't heard about the crash yet). Very Sad.

I had worked that plane a number of times. I was a weapons load crewmember, I worked most of them there at one time or another.

68-0001-UH-May-1989.jpg

68-0001-UH-May-1989.jpg

Last edited:
I was the crew chief of "Balls One". 68-001. Lost I believe to a crash long after I was gone. Wish I had known then what I know now. I'da been retired 13 years ago... :cry:

I bet my life and won! I did retired 13 years ago.

Back