Fastening nose cone to altimeter bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forced_Induction

Reaction score
Hello all,

After a couple launches yesterday i have a question regarding fastening the nose cone to an altimeter bay on my rockets.

Im just starting this hobby and so far have...learned quite a few lessons... Yesterday I learned how too long of a delay can tear out lines from a plastic parachute. It also dislodged the nose cone from the rocket. I built this one using a BT55 tube, a 4" long section below the NC for the future electronics, and that couples to the lower fin section. I added 15g of weight to the nose and for the launch, taped a firefly to the nose cone.

I used box tape to make the NC friction fit nice and snug but apparently it wasnt snug enough. Ive been considering using #1 wood screws to hold it on for the next rocket but i dont know if thats overkill. Counter sunk screws will weaken the body tube so i was going to use small pan heads. I dont know how much of an aerodynamic effect theyll have in that area or if theyre even needed in the first place. What do you guys think?

Oh and i do realize the ultimate way to prevent this is to time the ejection delay properly, that is another lesson im working on learning =)

Some of us just use masking tape to keep the nose cone on a payload bay, a couple of strips is all it takes. Small pan head screws will work, as will the counter-sunk screws, but the holes they go through in the body tube needs to be soaked with super thin CA, the cardboard will absorb the CA (super glue) and become tough and hard like plastic.

For nose cone friction fitting instead of box tape (packing tape) use masking tape instead as over time you will need to remove the and re-adjust the fit of the nose cone.

I was following your biohazard build for a while. Fantastic work, and i love the design, Im just not sure im ready to 3d print parts for my rockets yet.

As far as using masking tape, how does it hold up after a few removal and reinstalls?

In rocketry masking tape is one of your best friends. It has many uses and can be removed and replace with out damage to parts.

Back