Family Drag Race Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice video. Just wondering if you added any nose weight to your builds. Were those AT F40's in the Hobbyline cases? We're getting ready to start on our Jart and Sharon likes to get all her ducks in a row before she jumps into a build. Any advice on herding ducks would be appreciated.....

Yes, they were F40 Hobbyline reloads, and nose weight was required. The CP according to Open Rocket is 16" from nose cone tip. If you can get the ballast all the way up into the tip, it only needs three ounces to stabilize it for any hobbyline load.

Looked like pretty good flights to me, other than the recovery failure. But at least you know how tough the rockets and the lights are!

Apparently the lights have pretty good batteries too - it's still blinking now.

I have to give you credit. When you build a rocket it can handle extreme duress. And the lights still work. Thats unreal.

I have to give you credit. When you build a rocket it can handle extreme duress. And the lights still work. Thats unreal.

Thanks, though much of the credit must be given to the quality of the parts - I swear you could build a bridge out of this stuff!

I took a break from building rockets yesterday, but sorta still ended up working on a rocket. I'd been procrastinating making some traveling "jammies" for some of my larger birds to protect them in transit. About half way through the new duds for the Darkstar, the kids showed some interest. Guess where that led - cozies for the Jarts are now in progress.
PIC_2653.jpg

I took a break from building rockets yesterday, but sorta still ended up working on a rocket. I'd been procrastinating making some traveling "jammies" for some of my larger birds to protect them in transit. About half way through the new duds for the Darkstar, the kids showed some interest. Guess where that led - cozies for the Jarts are now in progress.
View attachment 93934

Now that they have jammies do you read them a story at bedtime. :grin:

idle curiosity, why not simply lop the head off the screw(retainer)? I've got a tool that can do that with a squeeze of the handle :).
rex

idle curiosity, why not simply lop the head off the screw(retainer)? I've got a tool that can do that with a squeeze of the handle :).
rex

I left it on for two reasons - to give the epoxy something more to wrap around, and, if it were to pull off of the motor tube, there's no way it will get past the aft centering ring. In hindsight, it probably doesn't matter with the amount of epoxy that's on it anyway.

That's kinda what I was thinking... Hope your feeling better Master Quake!

I think it was rude of her to not check the launch schedule first. I'm feeling a little better, it's good to be recovering at home, of course. I just need more sleep.

I think it was rude of her to not check the launch schedule first. I'm feeling a little better, it's good to be recovering at home, of course. I just need more sleep.

Glad to hear you're on the upswing, those rockets ain't gonna build themselves!

BTW, Where's the cozies for the Jarts? Inquring minds need to see the pics.

My daughter started hers yesterday, then ended up building a Blue Ninja - girls... I'm going to get the ball rolling right on this later in the day, and hopefully get a short clip up of the impromptu Jart drag race Tim tempted and tormented us into this past Saturday.

I decided to get a little more realistic with the shock cords in these, as space is at a premium. I picked up some 1/4" kevlar from Tim and stitched loops into the ends.
PIC_2708.jpg

My daughter started hers yesterday, then ended up building a Blue Ninja - girls... I'm going to get the ball rolling right on this later in the day, and hopefully get a short clip up of the impromptu Jart drag race Tim tempted and tormented us into this past Saturday.

Yep, I bailed on that. I had a cranky 4yr old in tow. I didn't want to subject myself to trying to watch him and the rocket at the same time. MWP X instead. :dark:

Adrian

Yep, I bailed on that. I had a cranky 4yr old in tow. I didn't want to subject myself to trying to watch him and the rocket at the same time. MWP X instead. :dark:

Adrian
I don't know man, I think your boy was encouraging you to participate - almost as much as Tim was!

so I was gluing the fins on mine, and all seemed well...wasn't till sometime later I noticed one fin is leaning approx 10 degrees off true, oops. considering how life usually works, that fin is never going to come loose :).
rex

so I was gluing the fins on mine, and all seemed well...wasn't till sometime later I noticed one fin is leaning approx 10 degrees off true, oops. considering how life usually works, that fin is never going to come loose :).
rex

Yup, you know one of the other two will first!

We're half way through the "cozie" adventure, who would have thought it would be such a challenge? Not me, Miller time.
PIC_2710.jpg

Back