L3: Wildman Ultimate Interceptor build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clivus

Reaction score
I fell out of rocketry after Airfest 2018. I even booked a RV spot for LDRS in 2019, but didn't go. I was mostly feeling guilty about dragging my family around for my hobbies. I bought this kit from Tim@wildman at Airfest and haven't touched it since September of 2018. I'm getting a bit ahead of myself as my Level 2 actually separated after going to 20,000 feet at Mach 2. It was a Wildman Blackhawk 54 on an L990. I'm pretty sure I missed a quicklink screw closure. I found the nose that had a Featherweight tracker in it.

I had another L2 failure at Airfest on a fiberglass wrapped Madcow Prion.

I was pretty nervous honestly and made mistakes while prepping both rockets at the pad. The high winds fired the altimeter and black powder of the prion while I was trying to assemble the rocket. One problem I had was using a push pin safety which, of course, couldn't be in the tube while I was putting the AV bay in the rocket. I then assembled the rocket in the back seat of my truck which was nerve-racking. I should have asked for help from all of the nice people on the line, but I didn't know anyone. After Airfest, I changed the AV design to include magnetic switches for next time I launch the Prion.

Anyway, Tim@wildman graciously agreed to be one of my TAPs for the L3 build. I will be documenting my progress here as I get back into the hobby.

Dryfit
IMG_0015.jpg

Washing the release off
IMG_0018.JPG

Last night I hand fitted the centering rings to the motor mount tube. Ordered the 98mm motor retainer from Wildman. Rechecked my Openrocket file I created in 2018.

Definitely the best looking of all Wildman's products if you ask me (and there's a lot to choose from of course). Have thought of doing my L3 with the 98 version, although the cost of shipping to the UK would be out of sight. Good luck with the build and the cert - I will be following with interest.

" I'm pretty sure I missed a quicklink screw closure. I found the nose that had a Featherweight tracker in it. "

Clivus,

Did that mean you forgot to close the quick link and the cord separated ?? That's how I read that...… The booster must have come in under drogue alone?
Was THAT the failure. or did it have other mishaps?
Mach 2 survive ok ?

I am working on my LVL2 build and wish you the best on your LVL3 Interceptor Love that kit !!

Paul

It was rigged with a Onebadhawk cord setup so I don’t think that was the issue. I recovered the Nosecone but the fincan/booster is somewhere in Kansas. I got the AV bay as well.
Tonight I built part of a Eggtimer TDS.

Attachments

• A0537010-1CD0-4325-B40D-C941C23C8115.jpeg
    A0537010-1CD0-4325-B40D-C941C23C8115.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 17
Sure is a pretty rocket! Keep up to date on your building process

My buddy and I did a joint WM BS order. He ordered an Ultimate Interceptor. It came to my house yesterday before I gave it to him last night. It's a pretty large rocket, even in pieces. Got me thinking about ordering an Ultimate once things get back under control in my build queue. I just inventoried my build queue and I have 7 kits to build. I think I'd like to get those built first...

My buddy and I did a joint WM BS order. He ordered an Ultimate Interceptor. It came to my house yesterday before I gave it to him last night. It's a pretty large rocket, even in pieces. Got me thinking about ordering an Ultimate once things get back under control in my build queue. I just inventoried my build queue and I have 7 kits to build. I think I'd like to get those built first...

Pffft... Amateur... 😁😁
Lemme know when you get to 12 😳😳

Today, I put together a Eggfinder LCD and installed it in a Black Aero case.
I haven’t gotten my motor retainer yet, (my business is closed and I missed the delivery) so I haven’t done much on the interceptor. I did receive a fiberglass Fatboy/Chubsy kit from Performance Rocketry (98mm motor! In a short rocket.) I plan to get Stickershock to make a decal to look like Bullet Bill from Super Mario.

Attachments

• 83AD1E3E-E3FB-4903-AB56-27A93CE84559.jpeg
    83AD1E3E-E3FB-4903-AB56-27A93CE84559.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 14
Today, I put together a Eggfinder LCD and installed it in a Black Aero case.
I haven’t gotten my motor retainer yet, (my business is closed and I missed the delivery) so I haven’t done much on the interceptor. I did receive a fiberglass Fatboy/Chubsy kit from Performance Rocketry (98mm motor! In a short rocket.) I plan to get Stickershock to make a decal to look like Bullet Bill from Super Mario.
Been over a year since your last post; any updates? Did you finish?

Back