Experimental Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aeronautical

Reaction score
Hey all, I just found this site, and it's great. My name is James Mulroy and I live in Hortonville, Wisconsin. I first visited this site: Ye Olde Rocket Forum - click here. Then someone pointed to this site. I basically copied what I typed there, and posted here.

I have some questions.

First of all I have just started a club, not many members, just some relatives, neighbors and friends. We are mostly interested in completely designing and building the rocket, the motor and all. At first I was going to use a black powder and alcohol mixture, then I remember rocket candy, from the rocket boys book. We will be using potassium nitrate and sugar as our propellant. However after september 11th, the ATF added KNO3 to their list of low explosives, on the NAR site I found this so I can obtain a permit : https://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f540013.pdf

and instructions here: https://nar.org/cabinet/leuphints.html

Now I am only 16 years old, and that permit apparently is for people under 18 years of age. However I'm not sure about if I can store these explosives or not. If anyone knows, that'd be great. Also, is there is a permit we can get that would cover the untire rocket group?

I also need to know about storage devices, you need a type 4 magazine for low explosives, but they are expensive, can I build one? Also, how do I properly transport the explosives?

I have contacted numorous organizations, from the ATF, AMA, ATC, BATF, the FAA, and the local fire department. They have all been sending me in circles, they have had me contact one organization, and then that organization has me contact another becuase they don't know the answer, and then I end up where I started; no where. This is getting very confusing as to which permits I need to launch a high powered rocket that is larger then said on the FAR 101 document. Any help to lead me in the correct direction would be great. What organizations are for what, that sort of thing.

As to the rocket itself, I have a ton of information about how I will build it. My uncle just bought a metal lathe, and since the temperature of the fuel is going to be so high, we decided to contruct the engine out of aluminum, however, for the rest of the rocket, we will follow the NAR guide lines using only light light materials.

However, that seems kind of heavy and we may need a waiver for a rocket containing metal. Any suggestions for a better material that can support rocket candy? It has to be workable, like metal, a solid chunk of this material, so that we can spin it on the lathe.

For aluminum, I have been having problems, I need to know how strong it is, so I decide on a wall strength for the engine, a chart of some form perhaps would be helpful. I also need to know how heavy it is per centimeter, I also need to know the strength and weight of the pvc pipe I'll be using.

Also, I havn't found much on fin or wing design, as of formulas. And on the side of a rocket, if it is straight, there is some air resistence, but very little, does anyone know how to calculate, that amount. And what if the rocket sides slope back at an angle behind the nose cone. Then how do you calculate for it?

I decided I'm going to build a rocket with an Tangent Ogive nose cone.

What I'm really confused on is the engine, not so much the nozzle, but the fuel. Let's say I design the whole rocket and it weighs 2.5 kilograms, how much fuel will it take to lift it 400 meters? Well, I can find the force necessary, but then I add fuel to the equation, the rocket becomes heavier, requiring more fuel, making it heavier and so on. I'd also add more aluminum to hold the fuel, and it just keeps going. I need some equilibrium. I thought about caculus, but I don't know a formula for this, any idea?

Also, what about alcohol and other liquid fuels, how does that change the rocket. The AFP sent me an application for distilling alcohol via email, I have not downloaded it yet, but I will. When I get the permit, I'd like to make some rockets that use pure ethanol. Obviously the storage compartment for the alcohol changes, but what about the rest of the rocket, does the nozzle change too?

I have been researching these things for a long time. At the beginning of this last school year, I got really interested in rocketry. I took physics this year and I am taking AP next year, however, the teacher doesn't always have an answer.

I am also a senior now, seeing as school just ended.

If you are interested, I will keep you all updated on our little club, the rockets. I'll post some pictures.

Also, my email is as follows; [email protected]
If anyone ever needs to or would like to contact me then pleace email me.

Thank you for taking your time to read over this.

Well, first of all, sorry, but you have to be 21 years old to get a LEUP. So that's out of the question at the moment. Also, I strongly suggest that you start with commercial rocket motors first, rather than the experimental, so you can get a better grasp of the requirements and stresses.

I've been doing commercial motors for years. THat's why I'm doing these. Okay, I can't get a LEUP, but I did find a law on the ATF website, and I'm just not allowed to transport the explosives, but I can make them for my personal use, and there are people older then 18 in my household, therefore, they can be in the house. Also, for transportation, my uncle drives truck and can transport hazmat materials, therefore, a LEUP is not needed. So, I'm not exactly a noob at rocketry, this has been my hobby since I was very young, these are just some unanswered questions.

Ahh - OK

Well, ex is a little taboo on this forum, and you should be able to do it in the same rockets that you fly commercial in, with the same size motor cases just loaded with EX propellant. So it's unnecessary to start out with a complete homemade rocket that is all metal from a lathe when there are easier ways to do it.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of rockets have you been flying?

Any pics?

I have pics sure. I'll post them tomorrow, It's 12.38 am here, and I have to get up early to go to the high school for band, we're going to D.C. for 4th of July to march.

The thing is with commercial motors I did some math, but I never got so involved, after physics this year, I have really got involved in my math and I just want to know how to design it all. I havn't given up on commercial, I'm still going to build those, and try to enlighten you all once in a while with a new rocket. I like to build my own rockets using commercial motors the most, but I'll post pics later in the afternoon. But, I've mostly build alot of estes rockets, mostly using c engines, everynow and then a d engine. I love to bring out the biger rockets, but I'm limited to where I can launch them. I have found a site for the experimental rockets however, so hopefully I will launch some of the larger ones I've been working on.

Thanks, after band practise I'll post some stuff.

edit: and just for kicks, my latest rocket from estes was the sizzler, a real little child like rocket, skill level 1, I just saw it and bought it for some reason. It had an interesting flight, probaby because I changed it a bit. I'll brief you all on it and the other rockets later.

Thanks!

Night!

Ahh - I see.

Then I stand by my reccomendation of sticking to commercial for now. You should fly a few G and H motors (and above) before trying EX

Originally posted by cjl
Then I stand by my reccomendation of sticking to commercial for now. You should fly a few G and H motors (and above) before trying EX

As mentioned already, we don't really like to discuss EX (now called Research) here at TRF. I can say I have to agree with CJL with the above statement. This last weekend I went to a Thunderflame class. It was awesome, learned a lot. But you HAVE to be a Tripoli Level 2 to take the class. I must say you will want a little more experience with commercial motors in at least the F to G range. Then read some. When you are done, read some more. First on the reading list I would suggest "Expermental Composite Propellant" by Terry W. McCrearly. He knows his stuff and is a PhD.

Yes, I already have that on my reading list, I just havn't purchased it yet.

Now I said I was going to post pictures, however, I have to disapoint you all, it blew my mind yesterday, Last week I took everything of mine off the computer, and deleted alot of files, our computer is messed up right now and only a few EXE. files work, word and the internet being two of the main ones. Next week when I return I am restoring our computer, then I'll post pictures, but I can tell you what I'm working on. As I mentioned, I like to design my own models the most, right now I have a 32.5" model being built. I have built it so far to have 2 'E' engines running in it. The wings which I havn't attached yet, are kind of hard to explain, but the outer edge will extend 1.5" below the rocket. The nose cone is made of styrofoam. It is more of an elliptical nose cone. Hopefully I will be able to launch next weekend, if I do, I'll get some pictures of it and possibly a video, I'll put them on here for you all to see.

So I havn't given up on commecial motors, I still have alot to learn, about them. Wen I return I'll be able to provide some pics, and maybe a video.

Thanks Everybody!

Originally posted by Aeronautical
I've been doing commercial motors for years. THat's why I'm doing these. Okay, I can't get a LEUP, but I did find a law on the ATF website, and I'm just not allowed to transport the explosives, but I can make them for my personal use, and there are people older then 18 in my household, therefore, they can be in the house. Also, for transportation, my uncle drives truck and can transport hazmat materials, therefore, a LEUP is not needed. So, I'm not exactly a noob at rocketry, this has been my hobby since I was very young, these are just some unanswered questions.

You cannot transport regulated motors outside your property without a LEUP.

You do not need a LEUP for personal use ON your property.

You also have to follow local regulations which may have something to say about using and making explosives on your property.

Also you might want to let your parents know that their homeowners insurance may not cover damage to property life and limb due to your experimental activities. They will be totally financially at risk and liable for your activities.
MAKE SURE THEY UNDERSTAND THIS!

Other than that, good luck, be safe and I'll say a prayer for you.

If you'r going to do it a way around many of the regulations is to make your motors in the field. Of course you have to have everything you need with you.

You can bypass an amazing amount of rules that way, just don't try to bring anything home with you that will get you in trouble, burn exess fuel onsight.

Back