Plans

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotAProfessional

Reaction score
I enjoy launching model rockets as they are but as of recently I've been experimenting with what else I can do with them so I decided to come here for advice. Using model rocket engines, I have successful propelled a 3d printed boat and a foam airplane. However, I've never gotten a 3d printed rocket or plane to work even if I use someone else's model. My most ambitious project currently is trying to turn a normal model rocket into a firework where the engine would take it up and I'd somehow use the ejection charge to light a secondary explosive. I tried with once using a pouch of gunpowder as the secondary explosive but it just blew up immediately upon launching. I also am making a variety of metal salts that I will hopefully be able to use to color the explosions if I get it to work.

Please understand that you would not be covered under NAR or Tripoli insurance in the case of using model rocket motors in fireworks, nor would such devices be allowed at sanctioned launches, as flammable and explosive payloads are violations of both organization’s safety codes.

They may be legal in your jurisdiction if you do the work to get the permits (although this doesn’t mean it’s safe or a good idea).

With that out of the way, my main words to you are “be safe.” Don’t blow yourself up, don’t destroy anything that isn’t yours, and please don’t make our hobby look bad.

I do recall that there was a presenter at LDRS 2022 who demonstrated an entirely 3D-printed high-power rocket that screwed together. I think that the airframe was three components total. Such a build method is therefore doable, but might require some experimentation to get right. Check stability, get the right rod exit speed, and use your head!

You will find that discussions of blowing things up (intentionally) are frowned upon around here. The rocketry community rather zealously tries to maintain a separation between rocketry and pyrotechnics (though there are certainly some that practice both). This is due to long history of the hobby's dealings with the ATF and the fight to keep rocketry legal and to have hobby rocket motors *not* classified as explosive.

So don't expect to get much useful feedback on your question here. In fact, much further discussion of this topic will probably get the thread locked or deleted.

I just saw Joe B's youtube video where he launched a rocket made entirely out of hotglue. Now, admittedly, he did this at FAR, so he was able to get away with it, but (spoilers) it was pretty much a total disaster, although it did go up. I believe Peter Stripol also made a "rocket firework", but again, he launched without NAR or Tripoli support.

Rather than trying to blow up a rocket, I suggest you go back to your failure point which is the boosted glider. I've launched gliders and find them to be fun, since the recovery method doesn't involve a parachute or streamer. You might find the Scissor-Wing Transport to be a good challenge. It's available at erockets.biz for about $40 for the kit.

Have fun!

I enjoy launching model rockets as they are but as of recently I've been experimenting with what else I can do with them so I decided to come here for advice. Using model rocket engines, I have successful propelled a 3d printed boat and a foam airplane. However, I've never gotten a 3d printed rocket or plane to work even if I use someone else's model. My most ambitious project currently is trying to turn a normal model rocket into a firework where the engine would take it up and I'd somehow use the ejection charge to light a secondary explosive. I tried with once using a pouch of gunpowder as the secondary explosive but it just blew up immediately upon launching. I also am making a variety of metal salts that I will hopefully be able to use to color the explosions if I get it to work.
The phrasing of your intro suggests that you really, really do not know as much as you need to about the subject. Please. Don't. Please...build model rocket kits and fly them with commercial motors. When you no longer need to post questions as you have above...and understand WHY they indicate a surfeit of necessary knowledge...then perhaps you're ready to move ahead.

The ability for all of us to be able to launch rockets is DEPENDENT on being able to get insurance through membership of Tripoli or NAR.
If you want to launch a firework, it's probably best if you join a firework group.
If you want to launch a rocket, we're here to assist. A rocket has the intention of launching to a safe altitude, deploying a parachute or streamer or being light enough to descend back to the ground safely.

Last edited:
Back