Excellent Motor News for Micro Maxxers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
hip hip hooray for Quest!
Bill Stine did it! Did what? Sent in 3 different micro maxx motor configurations for the NAR S&T to test and have now approved for use.

the Old Plastic cased MMX-I motors: designated (1/8A.2-1) .21Ns with an average delay of 1.07s.
These are NOT certified for contest use but are back on the Sport flying certification list, so we can use them in those very light weight and Upper stage models:)

Newer and new batch MMX-II motors: disignated (1/8A.5-1) .31Ns with average delay of .857s. Our good Old stand-by motors.

and heres the really great news!
A MMX-II-NE Motor: Designated (1/8A.5-1 NE) .31Ns with the same .857second delay but NO Ejection charge. These will become our Booster motors for both clustering but more importantly for STAGING micros!

I can't thank Quest (Bill Stine) enough for following through on a conversation we had back on Sunday afternoon at Naram-50. and to S&T for testing and so quickly getting these motors on the list.

No word yet as to when the MMX-I and MMX-II NE will be available for purchase but I'm hoping it'll be very very soon:)
Oh Happy day!

John,

Yeah, I've been watching this discussion on the YaHoo micromaxx group and it is very interesting.

In those discussions you commented about the designations. I am assuming you were talking about the "NE" designation and further assume you were hinting that a "-0" designation would make more sense (please correct me if I am wrong). I think I know the reason (I would have to look at the test data and see a motor before I could confirm (or just ask Bill))

Motors with a designation ending in "-0" have no delay or ejection charge and are confirmed booster motors.

I believe that the "-NE" designation means "No Ejection", but I'd be willing to bet they have a delay charge (meaning that a "-0" designation really wouldn't be correct)

Also, if that is the case, you need to keep that in mind when designing multi-stage rockets for these motors. Staging wouldn't occur right after motor burnout but rather after motor AND delay burn out.

Lastly, assuming these *are* suitable for booster motors, I would doubt that they could effectively ignite a MMX-I motor in that those motors don't have a conventional nozzle and it would be MUCH harder for the burning particles to find there way to the propellant of those motors...

I would also love to see a confirmation from Quest that these are intended as booster motors.

Thoughts?

John,

Yeah, I've been watching this discussion on the YaHoo micromaxx group and it is very interesting.

In those discussions you commented about the designations. I am assuming you were talking about the "NE" designation and further assume you were hinting that a "-0" designation would make more sense (please correct me if I am wrong). I think I know the reason (I would have to look at the test data and see a motor before I could confirm (or just ask Bill))

Motors with a designation ending in "-0" have no delay or ejection charge and are confirmed booster motors.

I believe that the "-NE" designation means "No Ejection", but I'd be willing to bet they have a delay charge (meaning that a "-0" designation really wouldn't be correct)

Also, if that is the case, you need to keep that in mind when designing multi-stage rockets for these motors. Staging wouldn't occur right after motor burnout but rather after motor AND delay burn out.

Lastly, assuming these *are* suitable for booster motors, I would doubt that they could effectively ignite a MMX-I motor in that those motors don't have a conventional nozzle and it would be MUCH harder for the burning particles to find there way to the propellant of those motors...

I would also love to see a confirmation from Quest that these are intended as booster motors.

Thoughts?

Jim:
Ya should probly read the post I recently posted on the yahoo group.
I'm Absolutely sure these motors ARE suitable as booster motors. I've been using this configuration for about 9years. Can't go into anything more then that here.

As explained in the MicroMaxRockets post the very short (less then a second Avg .857sec) smoke delay has Proven in practice, to have little to no effect on staging, in some HP designs it actually helps allowing the combination to coast at very high speed just a tid before second stage ignition.

After the smoke clears and Quest has the -0, NE or whatever they end up calling it, motors on the market we'll be able to more in-depth discuss the "Ways and means" with micro staging.

Actually I'm looking forward to using the old MMX-I's again as Upperstage motors...even with that teeny tiny hole nozzle;)

Edit:
Jim: One more thing about staging ignition. Noone has proven "exactly" what causes upperstage motor ignition to date.... Is it heat, radiation, burning particles, some combination or other factor??? I for one haven't been in the burning particles group for some a very long time;)

Last edited:
Back