Estes Viking Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody Webster

Reaction score
2016-04-08 19.31.27.jpg

Building an Estes Viking to get back in the swing of things. I got a bulk pack of these rockets on clearance, the viking bulk pack fins are made of card stock so I cut some copies out of some balsa. Im doing 3 fins configured as the bottom 2 fins are shown. I do have a few questions I need help with, Whats the best method to attach my kevlar in this rocket? (18mm body tube no motor mount) Use the trifold paper but just use kevlar? Should I use a length of the elastic cord between the kevlar and nose cone? Would rear ejection be a good idea? Any tips and advice welcome.

I like to tie Kevlar cord to the engine block instead of the trifold method. if you're worried that Estes block won't have enough material to notch and stay secure a 1/4 inch piece off a spent motor works pretty well

Like so! Haha. This is obviously not notched. Theres pictures here on the forum. Searching "attaching shock cord" or shock cord mount should get some better/ finished examples.
Be sure to check out animated knots too for when you tie it. I like the Duncan uni

edit: Notched might not be the best word. Channel? You want it so the cord on the outside of the block sits flush and can fit in the body tube.

image.jpg

Last edited:
The 'classic' look is the way to go ;)
Teabag with elastic cord has never failed me for these small birds. I do use twice as long elastic as supplied by estes though.

IMG_20160409_102717.jpg

The 'classic' look is the way to go ;)
Teabag with elastic cord has never failed me for these small birds. I do use twice as long elastic as supplied by estes though.

I have 11 more of these birds, So next one I will plan on the classic scheme. This ones gonna be a little different, will part out most of them and build 4 or so viking variations. I have epoxied my motor block in, I used 5 minute epoxie on this block and It feels very solid. I was thinking I would double the size of the stock shock cord, half (epoxied in with motor block) kevlar, then tie on the supplied piece of elastic. I can always replace the elastic and may take some of the ejection charge shock off of the whole ejection system.

I used the fin configuration #2 on the chart for my NARTREK Bronze award on the streamer and parachute duration and the 2 stage flight. I since made another with #7 pattern on the chart.

I used the fin configuration #2 on the chart for my NARTREK Bronze award on the streamer and parachute duration and the 2 stage flight. I since made another with #7 pattern on the chart.
tmp_8427-20160408_232839300506079.jpg
That chart? (Sry I cant figure out how to upload the picture where its not sideways). The way I did my fins Idnt on the chart, I hope its not unstable. I like #2, reminds me of a Custom Atw rocket I had, flew great.

I rotate my pictures to my liking first and then I upload them on the forum. That is indeed the chart I was referring to. I cut out the arrow decals and spray painted them before applying them to match the nose cone and it turned out nice.

My computer is down at the moment, so im doing all my uploading from my cell phone. Every picture I have posted in this thread was taken as portrait, but every one of them uploaded as landscape. I confused lol.

I use a camera with an editing feature on my computer. It allows me to rotate picture left or right or crop them etc. I do all of this first before uploading them to the forum.

Has anyone had problems mounting the launch lug next to a fin where the fillet goes? Some builds I dont mind the lug on the bt as suggested in the directions, but I would like this one next to the fin. Will this keep the rocket from flying straigt?
P.s. I just realized I meant to post this in a thread on an estes Wizard Im building, the lug on this viking has already been mounted.

Last edited:
The rocket has a CG balance point and if you move the lug, it could effect the rocket as it makes it's way off the launch rod and overall performance. I would go by the instruction if it were me.

I display my rockets with their best fin forward. All lugs, decal wrap seams, rail buttons, and engine retainer hooks go to the rear.

The rocket has a CG balance point and if you move the lug, it could effect the rocket as it makes it's way off the launch rod and overall performance. I would go by the instruction if it were me.

Thats what Im going to do then, definetly want good straight flights.

2016-04-09 20.06.30.jpg
Applied my filler mixture after 4 layers of wood glue fillets. If the weather is well tomorrow I may be able to lay some primer down.

With the fins in that configuration, you will want to watch the CG, especially with larger, heavier motors. With only three fins mounted that way, it could be unstable with a C6.

With the fins in that configuration, you will want to watch the CG, especially with larger, heavier motors. With only three fins mounted that way, it could be unstable with a C6.

Thanks for the advice Greg! I was wondering about that. Would some clay in my nosecone help any?

2016-04-10 17.18.28.jpg
Got my filler sanded down. Had a little too much glue in my mix so it was a booger to sand, but the filler is very strong and bonded very well. Everything is pretty smooth, gonna try to get some primer on it so I can continue body work.

Last edited:
Picture 023.jpgPicture 024.jpg
Here's my completed Viking. I copied the Estes packaging, but with a darker green. I also painted the decals to match the nose.

View attachment 288161View attachment 288162
Here's my completed Viking. I copied the Estes packaging, but with a darker green. I also painted the decals to match the nose.

Looks great Jer! Did yours have waterslide decals or stickers? The bulk viking has stickers, but I also have a real viking I bought a while back. Im gonna have to do the viking justice by building it like yours and the pic on package lol. Dunno if I could even call this build a viking technically.

Been busy so Havent got much more done on mine, just some primer and more body work. Will hopefully have her finished up end of this weekend.

Mine also has stickers, not decals, sorry. I guess if they were decals, they may not have slid off easily due the the paint. This viking is my shelf queen. I will upload my viking warrior that I used for my duration flyer.

Picture 018.jpgPicture 019.jpg
First picture of my Viking used for my Parachute and streamer duration. Second picture of the Viking with the second stage that I hand made with rolled up paper for the tube and wood fins. I only primed everything to keep things light and minimal smaller fins helped. I like the upswept fins for landings on that hard crust surface at the dry lake.

Back