Estes Venus Probe

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score

Attachments

• oop_estes_venus_probe.ork
    2.5 KB · Views: 2
  • oop_estes_venus_probe.rkt
    59.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
This model is very under-powered with 18 mm BP motors. You need to modify it to take 24 mm motors to get out of trouble. It looks like a search on TRF shows some may have gotten the Venus probe to work with a 18 mm D16-4 Q-jets getting away from BP. Using an 18 mm Estes C-motor is tempting fate.
https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-venus-probe-24mm-mike-goss.html

Last edited:
That seems about right. 30% extra total impulse!

And mine has an "Elvis" alien! :cool:
View attachment 589921
So that's where he's been hiding? I guess that makes sense, Elvis was a ladies man: Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.

So of course, Elvis went to Venus.

Again, Estes makes a lot of great rockets. Venus Probe is another of those exceptions with excellent ideas, poor engineering.

If it’s already built, DEFINITELY do NOT use the C6-3. It might do okay on the re-released C5-3. Otherwise go with a Quest 18 mm D.

If NOT already built, replace the forward body tube with the same diameter tube but at least 6 inches longer. You can adjust the position of the “leg retention ring” accordingly. The extra length will make the rocket MORE stable , and the weight of the tubing is negligible. What this WILL give you is much needed SPACE. Stock this is a PITB to pack, leading to failed ejections. Probably also a rocket that would benefit from thin mil chutes.

Also if not built, consider putting in a 24 mm motor mount, flies great on a 24mm D12-3.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/venus-probe-1-2-of-a-successful-flight.126148/

I have two of them and watched videos on maiden flights. This thing doesn’t get very hight off the ground and by the time it ejects the pod it has barely enough time for the legs to fully open up. I was thinking of modifying the body tube like BABAR suggested. The only thing that had me scratching my head is that it will take the original look away from the design and turning it into a regular looking rocket.

I just wonder if the Q-Jet D16s or D 20s would do the trick without modifying the body tube. I like the style of the lower main tube designs. It kind of looks like a space lab. Still not sure what to do with it. Modify or not to Modify? That is the Question.

@BABAR is correct - there is a need for more room for the parachutes. However, I've not had a failure yet. It's just real tight. I have thin mil nylon chutes on my wife's sewing machine now. I'll be anxious to see how they fit when she gets them done.

In my experience, the 18 mm Q-Jet D's are the minimum, and like I said, I'm field limited. I know for certain that you can get full D impulse in Aerotech 18 mm RMS loads, so very likely you can get it in 18 mm DMS as well.

EDITED to add: I stand corrected. You can only get a full 20 N-s of impule in Aerotech RMS 18/20 reloads. Q-Jets only go to 13.8 N-s for the D-20's, 12.8 N-s for the D-16's. Like I said, though, I've flown mine successfully on Quest D16-4's a number of times.

Aerotech master motor matrix

Last edited:
Back