Estes V2 Build (3228)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lost one today ,and it was a parrot green also ....:cry: it was in my TLP Falcon Missile, lost into a very tall tree.I`m going to miss the rocket !!

Paul T

Yeah, but I'll bet you can see that green parachute clearly in the tree! How high is it? Can you use shotgun recovery?

The black blush has been 90% defeated. It's not perfect, but it's not ruined either. I've got some minor tweaks and cleaning to do, but once I get the trim decals applied and a few coats of clear, I think she's gonna turn out okay. It's certainly a 3' paint job, but for my purposes and lessons learned, it's all good. (The Vagabond got it's white coats, came out liquid.....)

Nice recovery, Fred! (No pun intended!)

By the way, I noticed the Gemini Titan on your 'want' list. I too would love to get my hands on one of those kits. Perhaps if enough of us pester Estes, they will re-release it!

Mark

Last edited:
Thanks!

I have 3 kits on hand: Estes Saturn V (2157), Leviathan, Mini Honest John.....It's between the Leviathan and the Saturn V.

I want to build the Saturn V....it's a kit I've always wanted, since childhood....now I have it....and I'm sorta enjoying the anticipation....having the kit next to the bench....knowing the build is coming.....I just haven't decided if I'm gonna build the Leviathan and drag out the Saturn V a bit more or go ahead and start the Saturn V......

I need to finish up the Vagabond and clear coat the V2 in order to clear the bench....

Nice recovery, Fred! (No pun intended!)

By the way, I noticed the Gemini Titan on your 'want' list. I too would love to get my hands on one of those kits. Perhaps if enough of us pester Estes, they will re-release it!

Mark

They come up every once in a while....but man, the bidding goes through the roof! I want to be the guy that paid $60 for his....not the guy that paid $250. Once I build the Saturn V Apollo 11.....I'll really need that Gemini Titan since I have the Mercury Redstone/Liberty Bell 7.....

Yes, Estes SHOULD re-release the Gemini Titan #1978! ( I know they read this forum....hint, hint guys!)

They come up every once in a while....but man, the bidding goes through the roof! I want to be the guy that paid $60 for his....not the guy that paid $250. Once I build the Saturn V Apollo 11.....I'll really need that Gemini Titan since I have the Mercury Redstone/Liberty Bell 7.....

Yes, Estes SHOULD re-release the Gemini Titan #1978! ( I know they read this forum....hint, hint guys!)
If Estes re-released the 1978 G-T, you would have a few choice word for how brittle the clear plastic unit is. That unit was used on several kits in the mid 1980' to mid 1990s, the clear version was last used on the Beta Launch Vehicle (2054) and early runs of the Bailout (2070). I actually have both the Beta Launch Vehicle and Bailout, and both of the fin unit broke a tab on the fin unit after only one or two flights.

Thanks!

I have 3 kits on hand: Estes Saturn V (2157), Leviathan, Mini Honest John.....It's between the Leviathan and the Saturn V.

I want to build the Saturn V....it's a kit I've always wanted, since childhood....now I have it....and I'm sorta enjoying the anticipation....having the kit next to the bench....knowing the build is coming.....I just haven't decided if I'm gonna build the Leviathan and drag out the Saturn V a bit more or go ahead and start the Saturn V......

I need to finish up the Vagabond and clear coat the V2 in order to clear the bench....

Thats awesome Fred that you can enjoy all phases of the build including the anticipation! I'm the same way.

I would hope that if they re-release the kit, they would use better quality materials....perhaps this lower quality issue was one of the reasons they no longer offer the kit?

Got several coats of clear on today. Once it cures over the next few days, this one is done and ready to fly:

V2-13.jpg

Unfortunately, brittleness is an inherent property of transparent injection molded plastics. The fin unit is used on several Estes E2X, RTF, and ARF BT-60 based kits, but those cans are shot in an opaque plastic, which is not as brittle. In fact, that fin can used on the Estes crayon rockets. The original Estes K-21 G-T used a fin can that had to be constructed from two sheets of butyrate acetate (0.20" to wrap around the body tube and 0.040" for the fins). That stuff is a real pain to cut with an X-Acto knife. Butyrate acetate sheets are difficult to find these days. However, those clear plastic tubes that Estes uses are made of the same stuff as the old clear plastic fin sheets.

Whoa nelly, nice thread resurrection ! :) some old friends in this one. Where you at Fred Garvin ???

Last edited:
Back