Estes T25 RC Boost Glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just recently started posting to the forum, and ran across this thread. A number of things I might have posted have been said already.

Ken Parker wrote:

>>>>
I'll tell you one motor that I really want to try in my T25 when I get it finished - an Aerotech F12. I'm hoping that motor would really boost it up there.
<<<<

The F12 (or E12J RC version) ought to work out very nicely in it, not too little thrust and not too much thrust. The altitude increase probably will be more than the E9 and E12 (or F12) newton second ratios, since a lot of the early N-sec is used up in getting moving to a reasonable velocity (that is, 33% more n-sec might produce much more than just 33% more altitude).

Ought to be visible enough. After all, the F12 is a very wimpy F, not full power.

g_boxwood wrote:

>>>>
I checked the E6 specs: initial thrust is around 20.12 N which should be enough to lift it off; the only problem is that thrust suddenly drops to about 6 N for the remaining burntime which may be unsufficient to maintain an aggressive climb angle.
<<<<

Unless it was very lightly made, with very light radio gear (and battery pack), an E6 is probably too low thrust. I’ve done an R/C model (SkyDart 2X) at 14 ounce liftoff mass on an E6, it’s pretty sluggish. It’s happiest with about a 45 degree climb angle. And I know 14 ounces would be way light for the T-25/Centurian, so in imagining another 3-4 ounces to that combo, even 45 degrees might not be a shallow enough boost angle.

An interesting way to “pep” up the boost would be to use a D12-0 Chad-staged to an E9. Although the liftoff CG would be more rearward, so the model would be sensitive from liftoff till it staged. Also, there is the potential for the D12 casing to tumble up and hit the horizontal stab when it stages. The stab itself probably would not break but it might overstress the glue joints where it is attached to the rudder tips and knock the stab off.

FWIW - there’s some photos of R/C models, and a few links, on my website:

https://members.aol.com/GCGassaway/rcgliders.htm

- George Gassaway

Sorry for the delay...

Welcome aboard George !!! It's nice to have you in here !

Few updates:

- I got some F12Js and a RMS-24/40 case so next T25 flights will try that configuration;

- I won a ROL auction for an original Estes AstroBlaster that I plan to build strong enough to withstand F24s flights; I plan to sandwich unidirectional carbon spanwise between foamcores and balsa skins;

- I won a ROL auction for an Aerotech Phoenix with an extra wing: the extra being custom made by Fred Sage and carbon fibered; bottom is carbon while top is painted white, it is used but looks extremely hot (see attached pic); good news is that I got the package today; bad news is that I put it under the tree and didn't open it !?

- I got some reloads for the Phoenix from a friend of mine: 2 packs of F23W-SK and 2 packs of F16J;

- I saw this interesting bird, at least for the fact that flies on G35s
without any problem !?

https://www.aerocompositedesign.com/Products/Delta_Star_/rocket_plane.html

It has been a pretty luck period in the end... it should make an interesting and stimulating new flying season.

Originally posted by cjl
Also, an F12 would easily get it MUCH higher. [...] It would probably kick a T25 to over 1300 feet.

You were right, I'm sorry. A friend of mine flight-tested his T25 and found the E9 flights (he had 3) to be rather low and short. I suggested him F12s and asked him to take pictures and confirm E9 vs. F12 altitude: he said flight is really enhanced with F12s and altitude seems to be *3 times* higher!!!

I can't wait to, but I'll have to :mad: .

Here's his setup; he too went with rail buttons to avoid modifying the launcher... how do they land then? The lug on the T25 is really good as a landing skid :D ...

And here we are with the F12 lift-off... Thrust is true but progressive.

One last thing to say. My friend feel confident to add a thin brass disc to completely seal the 24 non-RC RMS motor; the disc rests against the delay element and even if not strictly necessary provides 100% seal against burning delay element gases escaping from the delay cavity hole. He sent me one and I'll use it.

Back