Estes Support

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi

Reaction score
Just got back to building rockets. With that said Estes support is sub par. No one answers, just a voice mail. Three calls later no response. Is this normal? Thanks

Is it normal for them to rarely (or never) answer the phone when you call? At least as of late, yes, that's normal.

Emailing them has worked best for me, but don't use their online contact form. Instead use the [email protected] address to email them directly.

Thanks! Maybe everyone from this great forum should call them and let them know how poor their customer service is!

Not to argue, but company with between 5-7 million in revenue should do a better job.
Companies with 5-7 billion in revenue have dropped phone support in favor of email and chatbots. It was suggested in a prior post to send an email. Please consider going that route. Many companies, including tiny ones, take advantage of customer service oriented software to log, track and respond to customer queries.

Just got back to building rockets. With that said Estes support is sub par. No one answers, just a voice mail. Three calls later no response. Is this normal? Thanks

What are the questions you have for support ?

Or is this about returning a bad part / rocket?

Write a real letter, take a picture of it and post it in a youtube video, tag the youtube video in a facebook post on their page, post the letter to them, count to 10 and you should have a reply.
Which reminds me I have a letter to QANTAS to write.

Estes customer service used to be excellent. I used to tell my rocketry friends about the great experiences I had with them. That is no longer true. These days, for reasons unknown to me, they simply suck. It appears that if they can't make money from you, they won't answer you. Why do I say that?

In December I contacted them asking for 2 parts I needed for an old Saturn V kit that had 2 rings crushed. Eventually (after about a week, they were sold me the 2 rings for about $14. A little pricey, but I was willing. I think in the past they might have just sent me the things, but maybe not.

So then this last January I had 2 CATO's that totally destroyed the 2 rockets. One a Big Daddy, the other a scratch built Christmas tree that was made from an old Extreme 12. Long story short, their system acknowledged the emails sent to the service address. They also assigned the issue to Scott, who consolidated the first 3 emails (sent over several weeks) with different case numbers into one case. Then nothing. No action. No response. I have repeatedly emailed them since asking for any kind of response, even if that response is "sorry, we can't help you." Still nothing.

They have a service account portal where you can log in and see updates or leave messages. I have checked that now and then, and left more messages through that, just to keep the case active and open. Still no response.

The disrespect they now show towards their customers is disgraceful. This has been written about on this forum and others. Also talked about at my local launches. There has been a noticeable decline in satisfaction with Estes, between issues like this, raising prices too much (some increase is fine and expected, but $80 for some of the recent reintroductions is a bit much), and pricing rules with their retailers. I don't understand it. In the face of increasing competition, they don't seem to care about customer loyalty at all. I'd be curious to see their sales numbers over the last and next couple of years, but we'll never see that.

So you can try to contact their customer service, but while a few people have gotten responses, it seems to be random and unusual that you get any kind of helpful response.

I had a damaged item from Estes during this past Christmas timeframe that was quickly replaced. I sent an email w a picture.

It seems that customer service is a thing of the past. I'm old, and alot of people will say, " their busy, they maybe short on help, etc". If people allow bad behavior, there promoting it. There are always companies that value the dollars that customers spend. Some that figure, they have to buy it somewhere, we'll get our share either way. Well , Bud light learned what happens when you don't give your customers what they expect....I'm in the shooting sports, prices have DOUBLED + on some items. But there are still people that say, " we'll, they have a right to make a profit". True, and we have a right to a fair price. But anyway, one of my favorite questions when I get poor service is " let me talk to who can fire you" . It is an amazing motivator! rsbhunter

I Emailed Estes about a lost fin/ body guide for my GEO Sat I lost. They were quick to Email me back with a downloadable copy The fin/body guide was printed on the back of the color stock cardboard. While I haven't asked Estes for anything else, the service was very good for me.

I haven’t had need of Estes customer service in years, but they used to be excellent. They were responsive to calls and emails. And they were very generous about any warrantee claims or other complaints. Often if you had any mishap at all, they would just mail you a new kit or new motor or both for free with no fuss. There used to be a particular person there (Christine maybe was her name?), and she was absolutely great. I know whoever it was is now retired. And also the company is under new ownership. If the service really has declined, that’s too bad.

One thing I learned with Estes is don’t use their email to send requests because they don’t seam to read it. I started to use the part where you enter your name and email address any it will eventually get answered in about a week or two. Or sometimes not at all. I sent a total of 45 pictures to their email address regarding a damaged kit. Scott Hunsicker in customer service never received them. Man what an aggravating time I had trying to get them to see the pictures to replace the damaged parts. I agree that customer service took a nose dive from how it use to be top notch. If I come across a bad or damaged part they practically interrogate you on a half dozen questions just to get them to honor their warranty. Talking with several distributors they won’t deal with Estes anymore. Bad for both businesses.

This is the reason consumers need to voice their satisfaction, as well as dissatisfaction with either customer service, quality of product, and even pricing if it is unnesscaily high. We , as a nation have become so afraid of speaking our mind, because we might "hurt" somebody's feelings. Well. Put on your big girl panties....it's a tough world out there...rsbhunter

I ordered three of the same model rocket from Estes's a few months ago, and I was only shipped one. I called and left several voicemails which went completely unreturned. I was really surprised that no one picks up the phone, given the older posts on this forum about Estes great customer service. I also sent several emails. After wondering if I would ever hear back from Estes, and wondering if I wouId need to file a credit card dispute, I was eventually contacted back and told I had to take a picture of the packing slip and e-mail it to them for them to send the other two rockets. I was told that they only have one or two people at a time answering the phones. I was really surprised.

My issue was eventually resolved, but I felt like I was ignored for a while, and the process was tedious on my part when it was their error. I am completely in agreement with the OP's statement:

"With that said Estes support is sub par. No one answers, just a voice mail. Three calls later no response. "

I have learned one trick that if a company really starts trying to string you along, you might use. If , after you have given them a chance to correct the issue, they still stall, tell them you are going to contact the Attorney General in THEIR state. I, 95% of the time get an immediate attitude adjustment. rsbhunter

Look not trying to start a fight. Companies thrive on customer support. Bad support decreases customer base period.

I have learned one trick that if a company really starts trying to string you along, you might use. If , after you have given them a chance to correct the issue, they still stall, tell them you are going to contact the Attorney General in THEIR state. I, 95% of the time get an immediate attitude adjustment. rsbhunter
But how do you tell them that when they don't answer the phone or read emails?!?!

I think they read my emails since Scott apparently consolidated them. But he never actually replied to me, or did anything else in the last 2 months. My current theory is that they no longer want to replace engines or kits after their D/E12's CATO (probably a cost saving measure), but they are too chicken $#!+ to say that publicly. 'Cause that would look bad. As if ignoring customers looks any better!!!
😠

Now I'm all wound up again. I have to go meditate (or medicate) in my bar!
😂

Over the past year, I've had good CS and bad CS from Estes. My advice is to keep tabs on requests using the following link. Once you sign in, click on your name and Requests to see a list of communications with them. It may not help but at least it's something you can point at instead of an unanswered email, message, or VM. In the past, the CS was able to send out replacements without fuss. They seem to have clamped down on that lately but not impossible, just have to jump through more hoops.

https://help.estesrockets.com/hc/en-us/requests

On the bright side months ago, I ordered the 4in tube which of course was crushed in shipping. They Fedex me a replacement which was really cool. This was just before they started the shipping insurance charge which seems worth it considering how awful USPS is with packages.

I have never asked my brother for his help with a company that wouldn’t make good on their products. With Estes it came close with sending 45 pictures 5 at a time over and over again to prove the kit was damaged before it was packed to ship. The shipping box was in perfect condition although they use the cheapest and thinnest boxes to ship products out, the body tube was badly creased from top to bottom. My brother works for the BBB and if I didn’t receive a replacement then I would have contacted him to get involved. Customer Service in my opinion has gone down hill. They really need to change their ways of handling issues with their paying customers. How many times is to many? They have treated me with respect but they lax in responding to your requests. My last contact I sent twice two months ago never got answered. I gave up.

Ok. Time for a major update.

This afternoon I got a couple of emails from Estes. The first was confirmation of Estes sending me a new pack of E12's, a new Big Daddy, and a parts assortment (from an education program they run). Then I got another through their system with an update from Scott at customer service apologizing for the delay. It was quite the surprise.

So that was a good response, and with the extra parts assortment, even more than necessary. I only wish it didn't take 2 full months, a bunch of emails, and a bunch of posts complaining about the experience. And the jaded part of me says that it only happened because someone at Estes saw my post yesterday.

Whatever the reason, I do appreciate the gesture. Does it change my mind or opinion? Maybe slightly. If they respond to others appropriately in less than 2 months, I can sing their praises again. But that will take a little time to rebuild a better track record. I sincerely hope they do.

For now, thanks Estes!

You guys are great. I’m just expressing my opinion. If you provide phone support answer it or at least respond. If you don’t want to provide phone response, remove it. How can you argue with that?

I have never asked my brother for his help with a company that wouldn’t make good on their products. With Estes it came close with sending 45 pictures 5 at a time over and over again to prove the kit was damaged before it was packed to ship. The shipping box was in perfect condition although they use the cheapest and thinnest boxes to ship products out, the body tube was badly creased from top to bottom. My brother works for the BBB and if I didn’t receive a replacement then I would have contacted him to get involved. Customer Service in my opinion has gone down hill. They really need to change their ways of handling issues with their paying customers. How many times is to many? They have treated me with respect but they lax in responding to your requests. My last contact I sent twice two months ago never got answered. I gave up.
Did you pay for the $1.95 Package Protection? I'm curious if this makes the CS easier or doesn't matter.

Couple of comments.

- When Estes was sold this last time, things took a turn for the worst. Customer service has been completely hit or miss. You can completely forget about speaking to anyone there. Generally speaking, emails are responded to in a couple of days but they too have have mixed results. I've gotten responses that had nothing to do with the question or problem I was having. I've gotten one word answers and far too often I'm told " I don't know, let me talk to someone" and never hear back from them. Other times I get an immediate response that makes complete sense and the problem is resolved so there are still people that care. We just need to be lucky enough to get one of them.

- Pricing. I shake my head every time one of these limited editions or RTF models are released. The Red Sapphire for $40 had me convinced that Estes had gone too far. They brought back the exact same rocket they had sold a few months earlier in a different color for double the price and people still bought it. I just don't understand!!!

- RTF models. The argument is that Estes is targeting the beginner or new guy that is just getting into to the hobby. While this is true for with the smaller kits, that argument goes out the window when you start talking models in the $60-$70 and up price range. Beginners are not buying Saturn V or the new Shuttle as their first or second rocket. True scale model collectors aren't buying these as they aren't to scale and they lack the details that a collector would want.

Someone recommended telling the company that you're going to contact a lawyer. This should only be used as an absolute last resort when ALL other methods have failed and you had better be ready to act on your statement. As a business owner that deals with the public, I can tell you that customers threaten us with contacting a lawyer all the time. About once a month we hear someone say they are going to sue us, we'll be hearing from their lawyer, or my favorite, "my brothers, sisters, cousins, little brothers, third grade teachers mom is a lawyer and she said".

When the word lawyer comes up, one thing happens. All one on one communications stop immediately. Any communications going forward will be between the lawyers. When I hear this, my response is the same every time. Are you stating that you are contacting legal counsel? Yes, Ok, here is my lawyers names and number. Have a nice day. We never speak to them directly again and 99.98% of the time it goes away. Companies have lawyers on retainer so we're paying them anyway and most lawyers won't charge you anything extra to send a letter to someone requesting they provide their lawyers contact information.

Dealing with these issues can only be handled by the consumer. If you're unhappy with the companies practices, stop buying their products. With the exception of motors, Estes has very little that I need and even less that I actually want. Yes, I'll pick up a kit here or there but that is only when I find them deeply discounted or in the case of my Great Goblin, on market place partially assembled for $10.

At the end of the day, if you're happy with Estes then by all means keep buying their products. If you are like me and don't care for their business practices, buy only what you truly need and source everything else from another supplier.

Thankfully there are dozens of other brands out there that offer more interesting designs and much better customer service and more are popping up all the time. Right now is a great time to be into rocketry as the options for vendors and rockets is huge. Don't put your eggs in one basket with one company.

They brought back the exact same rocket they had sold a few months earlier in a different color for double the price and people still bought it. I just don't understand!!!
Don't understand Estes or don't understand the people who buy these products?

Either way, I can see why these products get sold and purchased. If Estes can sell a niche item for a higher price, I say more power to Estes. If some "investor" or collector wants to buy an overpriced Estes product, I say more power to that person.

As long as most of the kits, engines and "other essentials" are reasonably priced, I don't care what Estes charges or what other people pay for fringe items (I would say the Red Sapphire counts as a fringe item).

Latest posts

Back