Estes Stormcluster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymye

Reaction score
I Picked up a Stormcaster for $5.00 and couldn't resist.
I left out the 24mm mount and installed a 3 X 18 instead
It should really pop off the pad .It works out good with the fins as they are not so close to the heat and flame to get damaged
the only alterations I had to make was:

1)cut a slot in the fin tabs to slip over the forward centering ring

2)added 1/8 dowel between the fin tabs and the mmt to complete the connection

3) noseweight (I'll post the amount after I run it thru rocsim)

Pics

https://photos.yahoo.com/bc/styrock...ter&.src=ph&.view=t&start=1&.rand=31861610690

stymye,

I followed your lead and did my own 3X18. I have had two great flights with C6-5s. I found out you can stuff tissue soaked with wood glue between the motor tubes to prevent leaks. How did yours turn out?

Greg

I sealed my motormount tubes at the fore end... but I will probably go back and fill in between the mm tubes like you did
no leaks so far

after 2 sucessfull flights(and 2 long walks)..It really gets going on 3 C-6's. I painted mine to look like the artwork...I used krylon Bronze ?....but it looks more like a dark gunmetal grey...

I forget the noseweight amount .. it was 12 bb's and enough epoxy to cover them..

Very Nice Stymye:
Bet she looks pretty kewl, in Bronze. Pic's please:)

also glad to hear you closed off the front end of the motor mount. For future ref. I've found it's easier and lighter to fabriacte centering rings of thin cardstock for 3C cluster birds. One forward and one about 1/2" inside the aft end of the body. you can even incorporate the shock cord kevlar mount under the foward ring and install the whole mess at one time. Makes for a very strong epoxied mount.

I'll attach a pic of a 4D cluster mount just so you can get an idea of the fit. The yellow stuff is just 5 min. epoxy with a little yellow dye added.
Hope this helps.

Here is a picture of my StormCluster. It was my first cluster rocket. I did get the idea from Stymye here on TRF.

Greg

Back