Estes SR-71, I need fins!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonimus

Reaction score
So I've been working on my Estes SR-71 slowly, while working on my HPR 4" Madcow Patriot. I've gotten to a point where I believe I misplaced the upper and lower fins for my SR-71. I have the wings (almost done), but I for the life of me can't find the fins. Does anyone have a template or a scan or scale drawing for these?

Micromeister, thank you so much!

Verna, I have thought about it, but I'm not clustering it. This will get flown once and go up on the shelf. I bought it due to an emotional attachment I have with the kit from when I was a kid.

Micromeister, thank you so much!

Verna, I have thought about it, but I'm not clustering it. This will get flown once and go up on the shelf. I bought it due to an emotional attachment I have with the kit from when I was a kid.

Tonimus:
Your Quite welcome! As Verna mentioned Estes SR-71 just Screams to become a 3- C6 clustered model. I'm actually flying my 4th version
after wearing out #2 & #3, my First Clustered SR-71 had a wonderful fights up to #10 but because the core C6-5 didn't ignite suffer a super bad core-sampling landing.
All SR-71s since have had the outboard motors ducted into the Core BT-50 to avoid such happenings. They now fly on 2-C6-7's in the outboards and a C6-5 in the Core. Sr-71b had 28flights before burning through the Core Body, #3 had 23flights. #1 flew on a C6-5 core and 2- C6-0 boosters untils it's tenth Boosters only flight:) Great fun and wonderful flights.

Soldering up the Thinwall brass tube ducting is really not very hard and glues into the Body/Pod 1/8" Balsa spacer fairly well with a little CA and epoxy. Sealing off the forward Intake cone bases with 3 or 4 layer of Duct tape discs covered with epoxy or better 2 layers of Stainless steel tape prevent the cones from suffering any heat damage. I'm still using the same Brass Tube ducting pieces from SR-71b in both C & now D. Once made they last a long time:)

Hope all this helps.

013Lp06d_3pic 3-C6 SR-71 Blackbird Flt(Manassas VA)_07-90.jpg

SR-71-e1-sm_FS 3-32 x 3-16th ducts 160dpi_01-07.jpg

SR-71-e2_Ducting parts FS 300dpi_04-02-96.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry that you misplaced your rockets fins. I hope you find the fins very soon.

Xan

Thanks to Micromeister's file, I have new fins cut out of 3/32" basswood. I was able to scale them quite easily and everything matched as it should.

Back