Estes Sold...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My rep says that they will aggressively move to complete projects started by Estes before the buyout... I guess this means the classic series and the Saturn V. And they seek feedback from folks in the know about products that we would like to see.

Well, shoot. Maybe they'll even stop by here sometime to ask us what we think!

That might be a mistake, however. :cyclops:

My rep says that they will aggressively move to complete projects started by Estes before the buyout... I guess this means the classic series and the Saturn V. And they seek feedback from folks in the know about products that we would like to see.

That sounds good. Now for the logical next questions:

How do they wish to get this sought after feedback?

Are they reviewing postings to forums?

Will the YORF Estes forums be resurrected?

Should we all call the existing 800 number with our suggestions?

And which YORF poster is most likely to get a restraining order against them? (OK, that last one was semi-silly)

That sounds good. Now for the logical next questions:

How do they wish to get this sought after feedback?

Are they reviewing postings to forums?

Will the YORF Estes forums be resurrected?

Should we all call the existing 800 number with our suggestions?

And which YORF poster is most likely to get a restraining order against them? (OK, that last one was semi-silly)

What did they say when you called or emailed?

Man, I've waited years to do that! :D

Lets see what happens to prices. My bet, they won't go down.

That is for sure. It is guaranteed that prices will only go up. This is because the hobby distributors & hobby shops keep wanting more profit (Plus the cost to produce the kits/motors/etc keeps going up, too).

Years ago, Lee Piester (Founder/President of Centuri Engineering) told me that one of the mistakes he made with Centuri was not raising the prices often enough.

The one most likely to get the restraining order hasn't logged on to YORF since August of last year. :pop:

...could expand into larger, mid-range rockets....

And since they are employee owned, those of you who always complain about the ownership can simply go to work for them and become an owner.

I have often wondered why there were no Spanish labelled versions.

...could expand into larger, mid-range rockets....

And since they are employee owned, those of you who always complain about the ownership can simply go to work for them and become an owner.

I have often wondered why there were no Spanish labelled versions.

Hmm,, good thought,, maybe everyone should start suggesting it to them.

Even better,, combine Rocketry and RC for some cool rocket boosted glider,, hmm thinking about the box downstairs with an un-built Phoenix

Tom

The only real concern I have about the merger is Hobbico's trends towards RTF/ARF stuff.

I panicked about Barry still being a consultant but then realized that it's in name and probably simply to assist with the merger.

I panicked about Barry still being a consultant but then realized that it's in name and probably simply to assist with the merger.

Standard protocol on large buyouts like this. Former owners often get a desk and paycheck but usually have little say about actually goes on with the business after the sale. I think it's a CYA thing.

I wonder if this buyout of Estes by Hobbico Inc. will result in no more Estes products being sold at Wal-Mart.:confused:

I really would prefer to pay $5.97 per pack of B and C motors rather than full MSRP.

I wonder if this buyout of Estes by Hobbico Inc. will result in no more Estes products being sold at Wal-Mart.:confused:

I really would prefer to pay $5.97 per pack of B and C motors rather than full MSRP.

Well right now, Estes A8-3 are $5.99 Bs are $6.19, Cs $6.99 Ds $10.19. Blastoff pack, $39.99 at Tower Hobbies, (Hobbico Owned,, or at least the main outlet) Lets watch those prices.

Here is a link to check out Tower https://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0097p?CATEGORY=TC

Tom

Last edited:
Standard protocol on large buyouts like this. Former owners often get a desk and paycheck but usually have little say about actually goes on with the business after the sale. I think it's a CYA thing.

Yep. Seen alot of them doing tech support. We have to go in, set up a desk and a computer with full network access for them. After we leave, the computer never accesses the network until the guy's contract is up. Then we remove the computer, ghost it, and send it to the next person.

Barry said something about retiring to Europe. I'll bet that's where he's headed now, if he isn't there already. He'll probably get some phone calls over the next 3-4 months, and a few faxes with paperwork to sign, but that's it.

Well right now, Estes A8-3 are $5.99 Bs are $6.19, Cs $6.99 Ds $10.19. Blastoff pack, $39.99 at Tower Hobbies, (Hobbico Owned,, or at least the main outlet) Lets watch those prices.

Here is a link to check out Tower https://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0097p?CATEGORY=TC

Tom

Just remember that suppliers are not in charge of pricing. Wal-Mart is in charge of pricing.

Just ask Rubbermaid (what's left of them).

If you want Estes healthy and offering a full line of products, then you don't want them stocking their products at Wal-Mart.

Now, regardless, I'm a bit optimistic, since Hobbico has a vested interest in hobby shops, since that's where a lot of their business is. Hopefully they'll direct at least a portion of the Estes energy towards products that interest that clientele.

-Kevin

Back