Estes Rock-It Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Socknic

Reaction score
I just got an Estes Rock-It, which I had been making fun of ever since it came out. It's a fun build and all mine needs is paint. Anyway, I was surfing the forum and found that a few people have Rock-Its. When I checked the galleries, I found, to my dismay, that there was no gallery for them. So post your Rock-Its!:D

I just finished it last night, so here it is, my pride and joy... The Rock-It!

DSC00092.jpg

The clarity of your photo seems a tad intense. It's just too clear. Perhaps next time you could photograph your rocket in a dark basement corner, underneath a table?

The clarity of your photo seems a tad intense. It's just too clear. Perhaps next time you could photograph your rocket in a dark basement corner, underneath a table?

Your comment adds nothing positive to this thread and is more then a little rude. I would suggest you rethink how you post around here.

Wow Overeasy... Really? You've been a member of this forum for almost a year and this is your first post? Nice. Any high res photos of your creations?

Socknic, thanks for having over 120 posts in less than 3 months and contributing something positive to this forum! :D

I just finished it last night, so here it is, my pride and joy... The Rock-It!

Very Nifty Socknic!
Don't have one, but thought they were a Fun & Funny Idea when they first came out. Did you finish yours in a Granite paint scheme? Way back when I did some finish flight tests on a Pair of Estes Javelins, one with a very rough textured Faux Granite finish and super smooth babies but slick finished idential models. just to see what kind of difference it would make. Seem to recall calling the granite finished one a "Rock-It". Funny how things come around. Ironically the one I lost was the Rock...as it blended in with the surrounding ground to well.

065c_Javelin a&b Finish Test models_07-15-90.jpg

Very Nifty Socknic!
Don't have one, but thought they were a Fun & Funny Idea when they first came out. Did you finish yours in a Granite paint scheme? Way back when I did some finish flight tests on a Pair of Estes Javelins, one with a very rough textured Faux Granite finish and super smooth babies but slick finished idential models. just to see what kind of difference it would make. Seem to recall calling the granite finished one a "Rock-It". Funny how things come around. Ironically the one I lost was the Rock...as it blended in with the surrounding
ground to well.

Those are two great looking rockets! I'm assuming the rock one was done with a faux granite and then use paint over that. Am I right? Wonder if anybody has ever made a bright yellow Rock-It? :roll:

Socknic, coincidentally, I started my Rock-it build yesterday. I'm building it as one of the last of the Bertha family, sort of a caveman Bertha rocket.

I'm trying to figure how to make the stoney-looking paint scheme that they use on the cover art. How did you finish yours?

Socknic, coincidentally, I started my Rock-it build yesterday. I'm building it as one of the last of the Bertha family, sort of a caveman Bertha rocket.

I'm trying to figure how to make the stoney-looking paint scheme that they use on the cover art. How did you finish yours?

Krylon has an aerosol called "Make It Stone!" That's what I used on mine, works great!

I prefer the stone color to be darker than Estes suggests. I used Valspar Stone. A bit pricey, but the finished product looks great. I think it's almost impossible to spray on badly, but takes 5+ hours to dry.

Socknic said:
but takes 5+ hours to dry.
5 Hours!

Why in that time, I could spray Krylon, launch the rocket, take a core sample because my parachute melted, fix the rocket to be shorter, respray it, and launch again!

I think I might get both paints to see which I like best before getting to the finishing stage. Or build two.

Back