Estes Pro Series II "Bring Back: Special Edition"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Limited number often = premium price.
Or at least no distribution to AC Supply and such. If it really is the Ventris (and with that image, what else would it be?), I will pass as I have one that I built and have flown some. It works well enough, but I don't love it enough to get a backup kit at full retail....

Ventris was perhaps my favorite of the Pro Series II 2" rockets. I shredded the fins on my one model, heh heh.

I'd clone it and make a bunch of other scratch designs if I could order a full assortment of Pro Series II parts. Really sturdy parts.

Given that my Blue Sapphire shipped too slow for me to meaningfully contribute to the documentation effort, that this kit is already known anyway, and that I already have a few rockets in this size/power range, I will likely pass on it.

However, if Estes decides to do further runs or if it sells well enough to justify regular production, circumstances may change.

$89.99 isn’t outrageous but I already have a couple Ventrii to build. I do wonder if a roll pattern decal is included this time around? Ventris is a very “model rocket” looking rocket which in my mind is a good thing 😉

$89.99. No thank you. Not to mention there are no specs listed. What the heck is going on over at Estes theses days. Seriously folks, get it together !
I clicked on the "Specs" tab and got all what would be expected. What Secs are you looking for that aren't there??

$89.99. No thank you. Not to mention there are no specs listed. What the heck is going on over at Estes theses days. Seriously folks, get it together !

https://estesrockets.com//products/...2WKUL-Xdli8MrJAtcVwPYZta74-N4F89Xu_7E=.WF3xvM
Actually I think that price is on par with current prices. That's about what I paid for my current clone kit. Back when Hobby Lobby had the kit, it was cheaper, but I never got it there because the kits at my local hobby lobby had defective transitions, and they never restocked them :(. So I missed out then. So I got my clone from Launch Lab it was worth it. I love the rocket.

I would have picked one up if the pricing was more in line with the other PSII rockets (i.e. ~$55), maybe a bit more for the "Limited Edition" status. But frankly I was surprised at the $90 price. Oh well.

I can't justify $90 for a kit when I can go to eRockets and buy most of what I'd need to build a clone for about $20. I grew frustrated at the price of the Quest "Big Dog" rocket, and then built my own version from BT-70 tube, and mine is better -- I made a swappable motor mount, I made a payload bay and my rocket came out bigger than Big Dog.

I was just at URRF in New York, and bought a 4-foot tall, 4" diameter rocket that's a little beat up and needs some repair for $15 -- I handed the guy a $20, and he didn't have change, so he gave me a nosecone and payload bay (also 4") for the additional $5 -- so I essentially made out like a bandit -- I got home and pulled the rocket apart. It was held together with just wood glue, so the repairs are going to be easy -- I'm using epoxy to fix it. It included a nice chute. I mean the parachute alone would have cost $20, I got an entire rocket plus extra bits for $20.

Interesting that the F15-4 is now a recommended motor.
Original instructions only recommended their composite Pro Series motors.
Estes didn't have the 29mm BP motors when they came out with the Pro Series, but they did have a rebranding agreement with Aerotech. Things have changed...

For $90 you can do better, something like a LOC Graduator would be a good MPR/L1 rocket, and it comes with the Nomex for the chute. It will probably hold up to hard landings and abuse better... that Estes Pro Series tubing is a lot thinner than LOC tubing.

I saw that too and said no way! My Rocksim says a G25 would get it to 1800 feet...

It says 582 feet with an F15-4, with velocity of 34 fps at the end of a 6 foot rail.

I can't justify $90 for a kit when I can go to eRockets and buy most of what I'd need to build a clone for about $20. I grew frustrated at the price of the Quest "Big Dog" rocket, and then built my own version from BT-70 tube, and mine is better -- I made a swappable motor mount, I made a payload bay and my rocket came out bigger than Big Dog.
I'd like to know where you can buy the parts to clone the Ventris for $20? More likely you already had parts, plywood, laundry, etc on hand (new or used, bought, salvage, given to you), and you just bought the parts you didn't already have for $20. But when it boils down to it, and you calculate how much that clone actually cost you if you bought the parts new, already cut... yeah... $90.

I don't tell my wife how much projects actually cost me.. because I too use what I can already on hand when I can. Nosecones, Parachutes and Kevlar straps are EXPENSIVE. I have boxes full of them.

Back