Estes (parts) Explorer II Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSNW

Reaction score
Hello all...Happy Holidays

So as I was building another project I decided to post the progress before I got too much into it. I am building another "Explorer" made from Estes parts. In a fit of SHAMELESS self promotion, I am dreaming (like a lot of us...HA!!) that Estes will steal this design and make a kit from it.....so ESTES here you go!!! you can HAVE it if you think it is worthy.

Anyway, my first (mini) Explorer is shown below. It is BT55 based to BT60. The cone is a 3D printed Geo-Sat cone. The side booster nozzles are 3D printed or you can use the ones that come from the Estes Shuttle kit. Anyway....below is "Explorer 1". It flies GREAT on a D12-5 or I bet it would do well on a C6-3. Anyway This is the finished product below....I wanted to show this one before I began with the "Explorer II"

IMG_2834.JPG

IMG_2830.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG

Last edited:
OKAY....

On to Explorer II.

It is roughly the same. BT55 to BT60. The cone is from my late friend Bruce Levison. He 3D printed this cone and tossed it as it was a rough prototype. I decided to try and clean it up and use it. A bit of sanding and some primer will clean it up just fine....I hope. Does anybody know what kit this cone comes from? I am sure there are a number of cones out there that would look great on this. I went with 3 side boosters. They are from the Estes Shuttle kit (I took 1" off the booster tube though) . I was going to use the nozzles from the same kit but decided to use some left over 3D printed ones I got from my friend Bruce. This rocket will be a tad longer than Explorer I.

Here are the parts. When I took this photo, I had already tacked on the side boosters and made the engine mount.

IMG_3737.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

Last edited:
I then glued a BT55 coupler on the booster section. The "top" air-frame will be friction fitted. This allows for easy replacement if the top portion gets damaged. This is also a great place for a baffle or a place to attach your shock-cord lanyard. See below.

IMG_3739.JPG

IMG_3759.JPG

IMG_3761.JPG

Last edited:
Now to put fillets on the boosters. I learned to do this prior to putting the fins on...things get a little crowded on these little rockets! For the fillets I use my standard LOCTITE Power Grab....good stuff! You want to make sure to dip your finger or Q-Tip in water as you smooth down the glue/fillet. Don't overwork it or get it too wet. Once you get the hang of it, they come out smooth as glass!

IMG_3752.JPG

IMG_3754.JPG

IMG_3755.JPG

IMG_3758.JPG

I forgot to post the dry-fit of the rocket. I have not decided on a fin shape....I am open to suggestions on what you all think would look good for this design. Please let me know your thoughts. More later as things develop. Also, if anyone wants the part information to make your own, please let me know via a PM. See you all soon.

IMG_3751.JPG

IMG_3745.JPG

IMG_3749.JPG

Looks good! I'm not sure about fin design - needs something unique though.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!

I have today off of work....I also had yesterday off as well! Between the chores, I had some time at my hobby table, so there is more progress on the Explorer II.

I finally admitted that the cone needed some help. My old friend Bruce DID toss it in the trash (It was a 3D print prototype). So I ended up putting a lot of spot putty on it for later sanding. Here are the "before and after". I am fully aware that I am filling in intended details. However, as I mentioned this cone is not that great of a print. I still find it interesting and different so I want to use it.....hence the "help". After I prime it in grey and sand it, I will see if I want to do any more putty work.

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3787.JPG

Next, I got out the Polyurethane and brushed on a healthy coat on the interiors of all the body tubes. I like having everything sealed and water tight. One exception are the side boosters......I coated the entire interiors of those with watery CA.

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

I then saturated the coupler to the top section with watery/thin CA. I do this to protect it and make it easier to sand for fitting. Also, if I need to put and pull tape on it....it prevents the paper from pealing.

IMG_3785.JPG

Next came fin cutting. I decided to trace a fin from an old Estes kit. Just for fun....can anybody guess what this fin is from? One hint....I did a build thread on this kit a long time ago.

Anyway, I like the slow "old school" cutting of 1/8th bass wood. A sharp knife and one slow pass after another until you have your fins. BTW: A 3M sticky note is great fin template material as the sticky part stays put nicely as you trace your fin onto the wood. I then rounded the leading edges. Good.....relaxing times.

IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3781.JPG

IMG_3783.JPG

Next came the making of the launch lug stand-offs and putting those on. They are not glamorous and I guess I could have made them more "cool" by putting angled edges on them.....but for some reason I did not. Call me lazy I guess

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3790.JPG

I then put on the fins. I really enjoyed that part as I saw the project coming together. There is still a lot of work I have to do. I am planning on faux conduits and maybe some other goodies. Then there are the fillets on the fins, prime, sand, sand, prime, sand.....

I could not resist doing complete dry fit photos!!! Merry Christmas everyone....until next time!!!

Andrew

IMG_3795.JPG

IMG_3797.JPG

IMG_3799.JPG

Next came the making of the launch lug stand-offs and putting those on. They are not glamorous and I guess I could have made them more "cool" by putting angled edges on them.....but for some reason I did not. Call me lazy I guess
Launch lugs on standoffs are *never* glamorous or cool, whatcha gonna do.

I like the idea of using Post-its for fin cutting templates. 👍

Launch lugs on standoffs are *never* glamorous or cool, whatcha gonna do.

I like the idea of using Post-its for fin cutting templates. 👍

Thanks Neil. I guess the launch lugs are a "necessary evil" for those without launch towers. Besides I always thought towers would leave bad "tower rash/scrapes" on your rockets. Besides.....I doubt this rocket would not fit anyway.

Thank you kindly for your comment and encouragement. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

Andrew

Next, I got out the Polyurethane and brushed on a healthy coat on the interiors of all the body tubes. I like having everything sealed and water tight. One exception are the side boosters......I coated the entire interiors of those with watery CA.

View attachment 443798

View attachment 443799

What do see are the advantages to poly on the inside of the tube?

What do see are the advantages to poly on the inside of the tube?

Hey Shawn! Good question...I do it to simply seal the paper from the ejection gasses, It also protects the paper from moisture. If I lose or tree the rocket, all the potential dew and possible rain is prevented from getting into the rocket until I can recover it. One is also able to clean out the inside of the rocket after the flight with a damp rag. And finally I feel it adds a bit of strength by further binding and sealing the paper fibers while retaining a bit of flexibility....use the water based...it is more flexible than the oil based poly.

Sealing the interior of the body tubes is really advantageous on larger diameter high power rockets. I literally wash out my payload sections and booster sections after a flight. After years of deployments and flights, they look like new on the inside. It also helps keep the recovery stuff clean.

This step is certainly not required...but many folks do it. Once you put on one or two coats of poly....it dries and soaks into the paper so much, that it almost looks like it is not on. You dont layer it on thick...just enough to seal the paper. I hope this helps.

Andrew

Hey Shawn! Good question...I do it to simply seal the paper from the ejection gasses, It also protects the paper from moisture. If I lose or tree the rocket, all the potential dew and possible rain is prevented from getting into the rocket until I can recover it. One is also able to clean out the inside of the rocket after the flight with a damp rag. And finally I feel it adds a bit of strength by further binding and sealing the paper fibers while retaining a bit of flexibility....use the water based...it is more flexible than the oil based poly.

Sealing the interior of the body tubes is really advantageous on larger diameter high power rockets. I literally wash out my payload sections and booster sections after a flight. After years of deployments and flights, they look like new on the inside. It also helps keep the recovery stuff clean.

This step is certainly not required...but many folks do it. Once you put on one or two coats of poly....it dries and soaks into the paper so much, that it almost looks like it is not on. You dont layer it on thick...just enough to seal the paper. I hope this helps.

Andrew
Thanks for the explanation. Adding to my builds!

Merry Christmas all!!!

Kind of quiet at the house now, so I thought I would put the fillets on the fins. I went with Epoxy this time....I did not want to use the glue I normally use as I did not feel like putting the tape down in those tight spaces. I am pretty good at laying epoxy fillets using my finger and Q-tips so I went with that method. They all turned out nice...I think.

IMG_3833.JPG

I am also rethinking the nose cone...For some reason the 3D printed cone is no longer sitting well with me. I am currently looking for options that would look good. I am open to ideas from any of you if you like. So far this is what I have.....got to figure this out. Thoughts????

IMG_3837.JPG

Hey all-

Well, the build is complete. All that remains is the sanding-priming-sanding-priming-more sanding-paint-decals-display-enjoy-fly.

I still cant decide which nose cone to use. I would like more input if you like. I like and dislike BOTH cones in the photos below. Cant seems to find the one that gives the the "yes...that one" look. I will probably paint both and see how it all shakes down.

I put on the faux conduit(s) and It is now ready for primer. You may also notice I changed the side booster nose cones...the conical ones had to go after more thought and looking at them.

Photos below. Looking forward to possible input for what cone to use...

IMG_3853.JPG

IMG_3854.JPG

Here are some more shots. If anyone wants the parts list, let me know. I am also suspecting I will need to add nose weight with a D12 or E12. I will let you know after I balance it. I will post the final photos when it is all painted up.

IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3857.JPG

IMG_3855.JPG

To me, the 3D-printed cone looks more scale-like (or maybe fantasy scale-like), whereas the ogive is more sport rocket-like. Take your pick.

I probably lean towards the 3D-printed cone, since it's unique and more intereseting.

To me, the 3D-printed cone looks more scale-like (or maybe fantasy scale-like), whereas the ogive is more sport rocket-like. Take your pick.

I probably lean towards the 3D-printed cone, since it's unique and more intereseting.

Hey Neil.

Thanks for your reply. I actually am going with the 3D printed cone. It does look very different and more interesting. Thank you for your input. I will post photos when it is all done.

I hope you are well. Happy New Year to you.

Andrew

Well it is finally done. I really wanted to do some more decals but I dont have anything that looks good. I guess on this one, "less is more". If I get my hands on an Estes decal or something, I will add it too the mid section. It came out pretty good I think. It is definitely different. Looking to go with a D12 or E12 on the first flight. I do suck at taking good photos at my desk....sorry.

IMG_3888.JPG

IMG_3884.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG

Came out great, look forward to flight reports!

Thank you Neil!

I, like many others I am sure, are waiting for the day we can get out to launch! I have 4 completed models that are waiting for their first flights! I really am looking forward to my Mars Long Ship on an E12. Thanks again, I hope you are well these days. Stay safe!
Andrew

Back