Estes Odyssey Build -- Part 10

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Baffle Assembly Continues…..

Next, I used a single hole punch and made eight (8) half-holes around the perimeter of one circle. This will become the aft end of the baffle. Put a bead of glue around one end of the coupler and glue this circle in place. It will slightly overhang the coupler—this will be trimmed.
View attachment 273231 View attachment 273232 View attachment 273233
We have one more trick to the baffle. We will add a smaller tube inside the baffle. This will force the incoming gases to travel a longer path before exiting the baffle, so the hot gases can’t easily reach the parachute. This smaller tube will be glued to the fore end, where the gas openings are in the center.
Baffle-diagram.jpeg
This inner tube has to be just large enough to encircle of baffle holes on the fore bulkhead, and it needs to be about 1.75 inches long. This makes it difficult for hot gases to get directly to the parachute. The entering gases are forced to the outside while the cool gases get pushed out of the baffle first. Determine the size of the inner baffle (smaller is better), then glue it together. Give it a wrap of tape to secure it until the glue sets, then remove the tape.
IMG_0658.JPGIMG_0660.JPGIMG_0661.JPGIMG_0662.JPG

Once the foresard baffle assembly is hardened, glue it to the coupler with a bead of glue. It doesn’t hurt to add a little weight until the glue sets.
IMG_0665.JPG

Finally, trim off the overhang on the baffle bulkheads by trimming them with a pair of sharp scissors. Test fit the baffle in the airframe. If necessary, sand any part that is still snug.
The built-from scratch baffle is now ready to install in the airframe.

Great idea, I am definitely going to try this on my next rocket.

Edit: I just finished building a baffle from a cereal box for the tube portion and some leftover balsa sheet for the ends for my Estes Mercury Redstone. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back