Estes Hydrogen Fuel Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are these sets available in the US yet? I havn't seen one anywhere. I may be just missing them though. I travel for a living, so I miss all sorts of stuff.......

Originally posted by Justin
Are these sets available in the US yet? I havn't seen one anywhere. I may be just missing them though. I travel for a living, so I miss all sorts of stuff.......

Yes indeed! I saw them at Hobby People in Southern California a couple weeks ago.

WW

I purchased mine on-line form JCPenneys, maybe you could find them in their stores?. I noticed eHobbies has them now for about $5.00 less then what I paid, but they currently show out of stock.

How has the launching been going? I saw a report somewhere saying that something stopped working after the first few launches or so.

Originally posted by rstaff3
How has the launching been going? I saw a report somewhere saying that something stopped working after the first few launches or so.

Over 60 launches and counting with no failures of any component - except to replace the batteries of course. I have not even had to open a new packet of citric acid crystals yet. I wish all of my rockets were as cheap to fly as this one!

I did finally locate these at the Discovery Channel store. We made our first launch attempt yesterday. First launch was great, it only took 3 minutes for the green light to light (the instructions say 10 minutes unitl it's broken in), and the rocket went at least 200 ft. with a huge bounce at the end. But then our problems started when we tried to do more. We waited about 11 or 12 minutes, we could see the bubbling and the yellow light indicating the reaction was happening, but the green light just would not go on. I disconnected the launch tube and the black connector, waited a minute, then hooked everything up and tried again....same thing. Well, after almost another 15 minutes we ran out of time and had to leave for home. I don't have a clue, I'm pretty sure I did everything right but after it worked so well the first time I don't know what's going on, any ideas?

Glenn

Did you check the silicone o'rings for damage, kinks, etc? Also, look at the bottom of the base, you should see a silver switch. This switch gets activated when the reaction chamber comes up to pressure. At the bottom of the reaction chamber, there is a little plunger that comes out as pressure builds - when the switch is activated, it stops making hydrogen and allows the igniter to function.

You can manually activate the switch with a pen - the light should turn green when it is depressed. If not, it is possible that the switch is defective or not making good contact. If the light does go green, then your reaction chamber may not be coming up to pressure. Check all the seals to ensure you have no leaks.

I have had literally hundreds of flights with this kit, it just keeps going and going. It has been problem free to date. I hope you can get yours working again!

the local hobby lobby had 2 of them today ..marked $34.99

I think I finally figured out my problem, I wasn't seating the rockets all the way down onto the launch tube, you really have to push them down firmly. The other day we got it right and had 4 or 5 good launches, so it looks like we're in business with this thing, finally! Thanks for your suggestions.

Glenn

Back