Estes Hercules

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scode68

Reaction score
Anybody build one of these lately? I bought this back in the early 80s on a trip to Colorado Springs. I of course had to visit Estes and take a tour of their facilities (wish I could find those pictures).

This is not a build thread since the kit was started back then and put in a box. I just pulled it out this winter and I'm at this point now. I always loved the look of this rocket.

herculesscan.jpg

004.jpg

I love this rocket as well. Got one sitting in the box waiting for me to decide if i want to build it.
It's been over 10 years since my first one and I have no clue what happened to it.

And yes, I have decals for it on my site, with a picture!

I've got mine, still unpainted, in the closet. I'm afraid my demo 2 stage rocket (for kids groups) might have flown its last flight, so I might finish the Herc for future launches.

One thing I have noticed with a lot of my old unbuilt rockets is that the decals seem very hard to put on. I'm not sure if it is storage etc, but maybe research it a bit before ruining your finish. Going with a new set from Sandman (no relation) might be worth it.

Lets see it finished up!!

Sandy.

Shouldn't I be ok with a light coat of clear on the old decals? I just built an old plastic model kit from the 80s and the decals seemed thinner but they were still ok.

Shouldn't I be ok with a light coat of clear on the old decals? I just built an old plastic model kit from the 80s and the decals seemed thinner but they were still ok.

As long as they haven't been creased or folded you should be OK by adding a fresh coat of UV resistant clear. That's how I save and/or use decals from 60-70's rocket and plastic kits. Take care tho, some times if old silkscreened decal clear has crazed with age allowing the new coat to seep through seizing the decals to the backing paper.
It's best to tape the uncut sheet down on a flat surface giving the clear a chance to flow and dry.

I liked flying this model so much I downscaled it into a micro 2-stager as well:)
Hope this helps.

068-sm_Hercules 2-Stage_05-26-90.jpg

Back