Estes Gryphon Flight help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjennings

Reaction score
Attempted to fly my son's gryphon twice today. both times the same behavior. there was very light winds really just a touch above calm. The bottom of the glider was orientated into the wind as per instructions. both times it arced over to a horizontal flight. Rod was at maybe 5-10 degrees into the wind. first flight was a 1/2A3-2T and was very under-powered. We then tried an A10-3T and it was straight through most of the thrust and then entered a very stable horizontal glide in the coast phase with glider still attached. The ejection charge was just above or on the ground. We put a very light coat of primer and paint on the glider.

Is the wind arrow on the instructions wrong?
https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Instructions/007280_GRYPHON.pdfMy boost glider experience is stuff like the Dr Zooch Shuttle and the ARV Condor so this is a bit of new territory. My son is very excited about this rocket and I'd like to get some good flights next time. Any tips and tricks would be appreciated!

I can't answer but here's a close-up of the part of the instructions with wind arrows (Right or wrong?)
Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 6.59.44 AM.png

I think Estes got it wrong. Launching with the bottom of the glider towards the wind means that it will arc into the wind in the manner of an over stable rocket. However, the off center thrust line will also make the model arc over towards the wind ever more.

I would try it with the model oriented so that the top is to the wind. The wind will cause the model to pitch “up” a little and the thrust line will cause the model to pitch “down” a little. I predict it will boost straighter.

Planning on launching mine over the next few days at an event. Will try it my way and report back.

@tab28682 thanks. Post flight mind sim had the same thought on pitch reaction. Looking forward to your findings

Here's another thought: because the glider might be a little overweight from the primer, it's going horizontal as the motor "runs out of steam" as the thrust curve drops. A10 got it higher and straighter but it goes horizontal too as power goes down near delay charge. That 3 second delay also sounds like it might be a little to long. Try sanding off most of the primer and reorient in the other direction per @tab28682 suggestion?

Back