Estes Shuttle flight problems.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterk03

Reaction score
Has anyone. built or flown the Estes Shuttle. I launched mine yesterday for the first time. So either it was the wind or lack of power again. I used a Estes 12-4 as stated on the instructions. This is to take it to 500 feet. So at about 40 feet it turned horizontal and went like hell. Ok the wind tipped it over since a glider is involved or the rocket lacked enough power. If power it's the same problem I had with the Estes Saturn V. The recommended engine by Estes will not do the job vs stability. I have finally used an Aerotech 30-4 and the Saturn worked fine. I worked on adding weight to the nose and measured Cp and it alone helped or my belief it lacked power. So now I have a similar problem with the Shuttle.

There is no instruction on how to measure stability on the rocket and I built it exactly as instructions called for so to me it should fly as Estes designed it on the said Estes E12-4
which I used, I do not believe it was stability cause once it turned to horizontal flight it flew as smooth and straight as an arrow. Just curious if others have had the same problem
with this rocket or have flown it without any problems. Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
Sterk03

I don't own one myself but I've seen a few of those go squirrely at club launches. I've heard it really needs to be launched in dead calm wind. A higher thrust motor like the E30 would probably also help.

Has anyone. built or flown the Estes Shuttle. I launched mine yesterday for the first time. So either it was the wind or lack of power again. I used a Estes 12-4 as stated on the instructions. This is to take it to 500 feet. So at about 40 feet it turned horizontal and went like hell. Ok the wind tipped it over since a glider is involved or the rocket lacked enough power. If power it's the same problem I had with the Estes Saturn V. The recommended engine by Estes will not do the job vs stability. I have finally used an Aerotech 30-4 and the Saturn worked fine. I worked on adding weight to the nose and measured Cp and it alone helped or my belief it lacked power. So now I have a similar problem with the Shuttle.

There is no instruction on how to measure stability on the rocket and I built it exactly as instructions called for so to me it should fly as Estes designed it on the said Estes E12-4
which I used, I do not believe it was stability cause once it turned to horizontal flight it flew as smooth and straight as an arrow. Just curious if others have had the same problem
with this rocket or have flown it without any problems. Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
Sterk03

Was that you at the SPAAR launch yesterday? If so, I was the guy with the wife and kid who was talking to you about composite motors and how to install the igniter, etc. :)

Was that you at the SPAAR launch yesterday? If so, I was the guy with the wife and kid who was talking to you about composite motors and how to install the igniter, etc. :)
Yes Bill it was me, I figure someone in this group has built and flown one and trying to get some info but I really feel it was the wind and also I need to use a larger motor. Good to talk to you at the field.

I was glad to see your Saturn launch went well. That E30 got it moving kinda quickly, which is what it needed. :)

I ran into issues with mine weather cocking as well. On the recommended E12-4 it turned into the wind about 60ft off the pad and went almost horizonal. Thankfully it was still gaining altitude and landed safely.

Every flight since then has been on an E20 or E30 by Aerotech. All have been successful.

E20 and E30 AEROTECH!!!! Thanks for the info then how can Estes sell it saying it will fly on a D12-3 and I was told it will by Estes????would that be the E30-4T blue??

How did the glider work out any tips on that and did it circle until down or try and go straight? Thanks

Sterk03

E20 and E30 AEROTECH!!!! Thanks for the info then how can Estes sell it saying it will fly on a D12-3 and I was told it will by Estes????would that be the E30-4T blue??
Why because Estes only sold up to a D12 at the time when they designed it and through careful building it was able to fly. But pretty much everyone has stated the same...an underpower, unstable flyer

Back