Estes E launch pad - rod not staying straight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
The rod on my E launch pad seems to be getting more and more wobbly. It won't hold a larger rocket straight and it has trouble even with smaller rockets when there is a substantial breeze. The problem seems to be with the plastic swivel piece that goes through the blast plate, clips on to the bottom of the pad, and is screwed on to the rod. It is not being held securely enough in its socket, the plastic clips are too loose.

Anyone else have this problem and is there any fix?
Thanks,
bill

When the plastic tab broke off on one of my gray pieces, I epoxied both outside gray pieces to the white support, with the blast deflector in between. You want enough space between the pieces to slip in your rods between the two gray inner pieces and tighten up the screw clamp, but not too far apart, lest the outer plastic pieces crack when you tighten the screw.
There is a new version of the E Pad that has the deflector above the swivel supported by small white pylons. That serves to protect the gray pieces from the engine exhaust at launch.
Long term, consider a heavier duty launch pad. Cheers.
PS: A shim between the two tabs will also tighten up the pieces and the rod. Or masking tape in the right spot acting as a shim. Just be aware that the plastic tabs are the weak point of this product, and will eventually break.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I may try the epoxy, can't think of any reason why the plastic swivel would need to be removed.

Back