Estes Cineroc, one of the most elegant model rocket products ever

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked up a classic read, and wanted to pass on the following... It was found in G. Harry Stines' book Handbook of Model Rocketry 4th Edition... I love what it says about the Cineroc (emphasis mine)

Optical payloads
One of the most interesting model rocket payloads is a camera, and many model rocketeers have worked very hard to build and fly camera models. The first camera model on record was built and flown by Lewis Dewart, of Sunbury, Pennsylvania, in 1961. A small Japanese camera was simply strapped to the side of a model rocket. When the ejection charge popped the nose, it pulled a string that released the shutter and permitted the camera to take a photo of the ground below-or the sky and clouds, depending on the direction the model was pointed.

Vernon D. Estes and Estes Industries, Inc., brought out the first commercial model rocket camera, the Cameroc, in 1965. The Cameroc allowed all model rocketeers to become in-flight photographers. The Cameroc lens points straight up through the tip of the nose. Therefore the model must be over peak altitude and pointed down when the ejection charge goes off, ejecting the nose-camera and tripping the shutter. The Cameroc takes one black-and-white photograph per flight, hopefully while the nose is pointed toward the ground from a respectable altitude. The negative is a circle 1.5 inches in diameter. It is Tri-X film, which you can develop in your own darkroom (or even on the flying field) if you are a camera buff. If you are not, you can send the film to Estes for development. Don’t take it to your local film processor because they do not have the facilities for developing circular negatives and because the ASA film speed of the Tri-X film must be pushed to ASA 1200 by special processing techniques. Standard processing won’t work.

It also occurred to a number of model rocketeers that a motion picture camera in a model rocket would produce a spectacular piece of footage as the ground fell away and the model climbed to high altitudes. The first in this area was the movie camera rocket built and flown by Paul Hans and Don Scott, of Port Washington, New York, in 1962. This was a big model powered by a Type F motor because the smallest motion picture camera available at that time was the Bolsey B-8, a spring-wound 8-mm camera. It was heavy. Following months of preparation, including flights of preliminary designs carrying dummy cameras, Hans and Scott committed their Bolsey B-8 to flight. The lens looked out through a hole in the side of the nose section; the nose and body sections were recovered on separate brightly colored silk parachutes.

On the first flight everything worked perfectly. The model flew beautifully. Scott had to climb a tree to get the camera back. The color film was sent to the processing lab-and promptly disappeared! It was lost. The company replaced the film, but could not replace the flight footage. Undaunted, Hans and Scott tried again at the Fourth National Model Rocket Championships at the Air Force Academy in Colorado. This time the two modelers took the film to a different processing lab with very explicit instructions.

That first in-flight piece of color motion picture was indeed spectacular. The boys sold it to Time-Life, Inc., who never used it but left it to languish in their voluminous files.

Vernon D Estes and Estes Industries came to the rescue of the model rocketeer again. They hired Mike Dorffler, a young model rocketeer who had developed a very small and very lightweight model rocket movie camera. Dorffler’s camera was refined and developed into the Estes Cineroc, one of the most elegant model rocket products ever to be put on the market. Fully Loaded with its own cassette of Super-8 color film, the Cineroc weights a mere 2 ounces (56.7 grams). It is battery driven, has a 10-mm focal-length lens shoots 31 frames per second at f:11 with a shutter speed of 1/500 to stop and rocket motion, and is 9.9 inches long and 1.75 inches in diameter. This tiny movie camera has taken some outstanding in-flight movies. It probably has thousands of other uses where a small, very lightweight movie camera is required.

If you want to fly cameras, I highly recommend the Estes Cineroc and Cameroc. They work, they are reasonably priced and they can give you some spectacular results. Of all the model rocket payloads these two cameras are perhaps the most fun to experiment with.

Mr Stine and I apparently share a common vision (too bad the Cameroc and the Cineroc aren't still "reasonably priced" anymore). :)

BTW, there are two photos showing the Cineroc that I've spotted so far in the book. One held by Frederick C. Durant III, while Astronaut Michael Collins is inspecting a Cameroc, and another that clearly shows just the Cineroc with Omega rocket and the Cineroc/Omega decal that apparently never shipped out. I realize now that the 2nd photograph might very well be one showing the very first Omega ever built.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Last edited:
Odd. I think a good movie rocket would be a good thing for estes to reproduce.

Was this suppose to be a part of the original thread?

When I was a kid, I wanted a Cineroc sooooooooooo bad. Never did get one, though. I had the Camroc and the Omega, but never did get the funds to buy a Cineroc. I wish I still had the photos from the Camroc that I took in the 70's.

CW, in my conversations with Mary Roberts, she said that producing a digital video version of the Cineroc would be very expensive. I suspect that Estes got burned by their previous attempts at digital video. I suspect that they were too expensive, and didn't sell well enough (and the issue with having to download your videos before the battery died probably didn't help things). I know that my reason for not getting one of the Astrovision or Oracle rockets was that the designs weren't inspiring to me at the time (still aren't). The Cineroc/Omega combo is a big rocket, and appears to be solid. Not some small RTF design. I'm a builder, I like the effort it takes in making something. Hell, I'm even cloning the Delta II launch body for the Astrocam 110, but using balsa fins.

Now with 3D printing, the Cineroc is looking to make a return, but I'm doubtful that it'll ever be a kit again. The Omega though... That's another story, it wouldn't be hard at all for Estes to bring that back. BTW, Mike Dorffler said it took him all of about 20 minutes to design that one. I wish I could have met him.

BTW... Should Estes ever kit the Cineroc again, I'd be all over it (even if I had a dozen 3D printed clones).

Last edited:
When I was a kid, I wanted a Cineroc sooooooooooo bad. Never did get one, though. I had the Camroc and the Omega, but never did get the funds to buy a Cineroc. I wish I still had the photos from the Camroc that I took in the 70's.

I'm presuming that the "Never" is still never, and you still haven't managed to get one.

I'm presuming that the "Never" is still never, and you still haven't managed to get one.

No, still don't have one. I would love to find one, though. But I fear that they're so collectible, even a non-functional Cineroc would be out of my price range. I just saw an original Omega kit, without the Cineroc, for $425 on Ebay.

CW, in my conversations with Mary Roberts, she said that producing a digital video version of the Cineroc would be very expensive. I suspect that Estes got burned by their previous attempts at digital video. I suspect that they were too expensive, and didn't sell well enough (and the issue with having to download your videos before the battery died probably didn't help things).

Now with 3D printing, the Cineroc is looking to make a return, but I'm doubtful that it'll ever be a kit again. The Omega though... That's another story, it wouldn't be hard at all for Estes to bring that back. BTW, Mike Dorffler said it took him all of about 20 minutes to design that one. I wish I could have met him.

BTW... Should Estes ever kit the Cineroc again, I'd be all over it (even if I had a dozen 3D printed clones).

Semroc sold an Omega kit. I have one, but haven't built it yet. I was going to also build an upscale Omega. One of these days...

Semroc sold an Omega kit. I have one, but haven't built it yet. I was going to also build an upscale Omega. One of these days...

The Estes Omega is easy enough to clone. An 14" BT-60 tube, two 5" BT-60 tubes, centering rings, motor tubes, two engine clips, a couple of couplers (one for the motor tube, one for the booster), a solid balsa BT-60 tube coupler, a PNC-60AH nosecone, an 18" parachute, launch lugs, a shock cord and a mount, and balsa for the fins. Decals from either Excelsior or Stickershock, or you could download my scans of them and print your own.

Last edited:
I could never decide on a 3" or 4" upscale. That and the electronics (timer, separation charge, etc.) has kept me from building one. There was a guy named Ross that used to be a member of LUNAR that had a beautiful upscale. I saw it fly once. Brought back a lot of memories.

[YOUTUBE]-x5cxvOwmqc[/YOUTUBE]

P1060564.JPG

P1060565.JPG

P1060567.JPG

P1060568.JPG

I've been thinking about a 4" upscale too... Using the Estes 4" MDRM nosecone for the K-52P version. That'd be BIG!!!

Just ran the numbers... with the Cineroc upscaled to a 4" rocket, the combination of the two would be just shy of 68" and the K-52P would be over 75" tall.

Last edited:
What tubing and nose cone would you use for the "Cineroc"?

What a rare find, that Omega. I looked through his list and he had some additional (to me) mouth-watering kits in there (Wac Corporal, Apogee II, Aerobee 300).

My first night launch of a rocket was the Apogee II, flying single stage, with a battery and light bulb in the payload section in the 60's. I was surprised to see the ascent as a streak of light from the bulb, then I was able to follow it all the way down after ejection. Nice warm summer night, good flight, great memories.

You know there just has to be a few more treasure troves of stuff in someone's storage.

Hmm... I should ask Rick Sternbach (an olde rocketeer who worked on ST) if he had anything to do with that!

While you're at it, ask him about the dish Dax and Worf served to Bareil (the one Bareil used Worf's Mek'leth to cut)... was it inspired by my recipe?

Odd. I think a good movie rocket would be a good thing for estes to reproduce.

I was told a few years ago by someone associated with Estes that they were planning to release a new camera rocket or camera payload, obviously some sort of DVR... When I mentioned this online I was promptly chastised because this information was "off the record" and supposed to be on the QT until some official announcement from Estes was made, which never materialized.

I suppose it can just be chucked up to another bit of "vaporware" that never materialized. I don't doubt this individual was honestly promoting such a product or had even developed it and had it under consideration for full production and sale, but apparently it hit a snag somewhere along the way and didn't make it. It would be interesting to know what happened and why, but I suppose we'll never know.

As for the Oracle and Astrovision, I think it was a case of "too little, too late" and "at too high a price". While the Cineroc was a fairly expensive piece of hardware in its day, (for most rocketeers, kids especially), it had two things going for it. It was the ONLY flying movie camera on the market, and adapting a regular movie camera for flight was a pretty technically daunting job for most folks (meaning there were little/no alternatives available to buy or easily adapt to the job). By the time the Oracle hit the market, we were already fairly deep into the 'digital revolution' as far as cameras were concerned, and the more technically gifted folks had been adapting digital cameras as well as film cameras in various formats (particularly 35mm and disk) for flight for some time. The Oracle's camera was also 1) not very good (low resolution) 2) not very capable (NO onboard "durable memory" making the pictures subject to loss from the battery dying, the switch inadvertantly being turned off after recovery, loss of battery power from a hard landing or vibration, etc. and 3) it required proprietary and basically unsupported software on your computer to get the pictures off the camera and display them in a "regular format". This last thing REALLY made the Oracle unappealing, as constant and rapid upgrades of computer software meant that the "camera reader" software RAPIDLY got left behind and was incompatible with newer computers. That's one of the things Mike Dorffler mentioned killed the Cineroc-- being unable to get the film strips developed commercially and/or locally, and Estes tiring of dealing with film packs. Similarly, having software that is basically unsupported and incompatible with "regular, off-the-shelf" type software, and no alternatives like freeware or shareware really limited the lifetime and usefulness of the Oracle to begin with; anyway, it wasn't exactly a cheap rocket/camera and by the time it really got out into the market, better alternatives with better resolution and memory, which avoided the main drawbacks of the Oracle, were available to a lot of hobbyists, so why bother with the expensive and less capable Oracle??

Astrovision is the REAL quandary... by the time it came along a few years later, cheap/easy access to convertible digital cameras had become even MORE freely available and modifying them for flight had become even easier and more widespread. Yet, Estes released their new camera which had the SAME DRAWBACKS as the earlier Oracle, namely poor resolution (compared to the alternatives being adapted to flight), no "real" memory (no 'durable memory' that didn't rely on the memory remaining powered up to retain the data until it could be downloaded), and what memory it DID have was EXTREMELY limited (only 3 still pics or about 20 seconds of video IIRC per flight before the memory buffer was filled up and the camera went into standby). It was a complete dinosaur by the time it hit the market (and given the similarities in the performance and specs of the two cameras, one has to wonder if the Astrovision was just a slight upgrade using the same basic electronic guts of the Oracle, just retooled slightly and relaunched as a "new product" to sell off remaining Oracle parts...). Astrovision also relied on special software on the computer to 'talk to' the camera and download the photos and store them on the computer in a usable format, which again, was one of the BIGGEST drawbacks of the Oracle in the first place. Given that by this time small digital cameras were really making camera rockets "available to the masses" it seems VERY strange that Estes released such a limited product... If Estes had released something "ahead of the curve", say a modified version of a readily available, fairly cheap camera (that they could have bought in mass quantities at deeply discounted wholesale prices) that utilized off-the-shelf memory cards and stored the pictures in formats easily readable by ANY computer using common freeware/shareware or factory-installed picture handling software on the computer, I think they'd have "cornered the market" and had a runaway success... Instead of being "ahead of the curve" and "leading from the front" they instead tried to "lead from behind" and sell a badly limited and rather outdated product that basically technology had already passed by. In other couple or three years or so, the "keychain cams" would become readily available and dirt cheap, and really open up the whole field to everybody, making "modification for flight" as easy as whipping out a roll of electrical tape and taping the thing to the side of an existing rocket... With ample memory capable of recording anywhere from 30 minutes to several HOURS of video, via readily available "off-the-shelf" memory cards, not subject to loss of data from a dead battery (well, excluding file-closing errors, but that's another issue) and with decent (for the time) and rapidly increasing capabilities in resolution and hardware quality, it really became a "no-brainer" compared to the Oracle or Astrovision, which seemed pretty pathetic by comparison...

IF Oracle or Astrovision had been released about five years sooner, I think they very well might have become "the new Cineroc" and taken the hobby by storm... as it was, when they were released, they were already just about obsolete. Had Estes jumped ahead of the curve and released something like the "keychain cams" in a custom flight-ready housing using "off-the-shelf" electronics and compatible with off-the-shelf memory and computer programs/freeware/shareware or whatever (using common formats) I think they could have had a "Cineroc II" that would have been as successful, if not more so, than the first...

Oh well... seems Estes has given up on the camera market... too little, too late.

Later! OL JR :)

Here is my 3in upscale.

And here it is in color...

The yellow tape stripes are actually internal body tubes that have been made external, and the blue and black decals are just thicker fins. As I said, OR doesn't recognize that two things cannot occupy the same space at the same time :wink:

View attachment Omega_3in_payload MOD.ork

Last edited:
Back