Estes Centuri

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make rocket stands by epoxing spent motors to CD discs. I did not have any 18mm stands left so I just stuck a spent 18mm motor into a D12 stand.

I've got one with 20+ flights on it. I use an C6-3 in windier conditions, or C6-5 in lower wind conditions. Also flown on an C12, not bad. Good reliable flier, rarely takes damage.

The coupler between nose/payload and main body on mine seems tight...even after sanding down. Anyone else have this problem? Main body tube slightly out of round.

Nice job. I rebuilt mine a few months back with a 24mm motor mount and like to fly it on C11-5's. I find the 18mm motors are a bit too lazy as mine is a little on the heavy side.

Nice job. I rebuilt mine a few months back with a 24mm motor mount and like to fly it on C11-5's. I find the 18mm motors are a bit too lazy as mine is a little on the heavy side.

Hmm... I do have a second unbuilt Centuri, and that would be a nice upgrade to C11 or D engines. I simm'd it with an 24mm mount, and it looks like a C11-5 isn't much better than an C6-5 (585 feet), but an D12-5 is about 1100 feet (touch too high for the available launch sites I use, unless conditions are like zero wind perfect).

24mm mount would be good for this rocket, but too late for mine. I suspect a C12 or D16 will get it moving nicely. A D12 will obviously put it up a lot higher.

Hmm... I do have a second unbuilt Centuri, and that would be a nice upgrade to C11 or D engines. I simm'd it with an 24mm mount, and it looks like a C11-5 isn't much better than an C6-5 (585 feet), but an D12-5 is about 1100 feet (touch too high for the available launch sites I use, unless conditions are like zero wind perfect).

Mine showed a 1.3Cal stability with a D12-5 in the tail and no nose weight but I know from experience that these rockets tend to wander a little due to the forward fins. To be on the safe side I added a 1/2oz of nose weight which brought me up to 2.83 cal. Mine has flown on C11 and D12 motors a number of times without any issues. Each flight has been laser straight and the D12 puts it up around 800ft each time.

Wish I did mine with a 24mm mount. It doesn't fly that well on C6's, but C5s are a bit better. However, I started enjoying it more when I discovered the Qjet 18mm baby D's.

Some have pointed out that you lose the nozzle if you go the 24mm route. But if you install an Estes screw on retainer and paint it silver, it would look similar.

Hans.

It's such a pretty rocket, I think I might retire mine to Hanger Queen status after perhaps a dozen flights. Hate to wreck it or lose it.

This photo isn't quite what it looks like. The rocket came down nice and slow, but the nose cone is so pointy, that it stuck in some very soft muddy turf. Perhaps only 1/2" in, but that was enough to hold it vertical. Didn't even scuff the paint.

Hans.
CenturiDart.jpg

Back