Estes Cadet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back_at_it

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We were out in AZ for Christmas 2019 with the girlfriends nieces and promised we would take them to fly rockets. Not having any of my gear out there we basically started from scratch. A quick trip to Hobby Lobby for a starter kit, motors, wadding, Kevlar, Elastic and various adhesives had us up and running. We picked out a number of quick easy to build, no paint rockets to throw together and fly.

One of the rockets we picked up was this Estes Cadet. I'm thinking this was a HL exclusive as I can't find any information on it anywhere and it doesn't appear in the catalogs.

Taught the nieces how to build them right. Used a Kevlar leader and elastic for the shock cord. Since it is all plastic and cardboard, we assembled with thick and thin CA.

Flew this one 6 time on the first trip and got 2 more flights out of it this year. Flown on everything from an A8-3 up to C6-7. Would make a nice low altitude park flyer on the A8-3 but really takes off on the C6-7. I have a video that I'll need to edit down as it's too large to post. Great little rocket that goes like crazy.

45.jpg

Built another one. This time it wasn't such a rush so I added a few little things. Decided to use the engine nozzle that is included but they tell you to throw away. Moved the motor back 1/2" to set even with end of nozzle. Added nose weight to correct CG from motor move. Kevlar leader and elastic for recovery. Ditched the silly rings they give you for lug and replaced that with a normal launch lug. Painted everything using Krylon paints.

29.jpg30.1.jpg

Took 7 months but the Cadet finally flew. First flight was an A8-3. Very low flight that didn't do the rocket justice.

Stuck in a B6-4 and let it rip. Great stable flight. Really like these Cadet kits. If I dare say it, I feel this should be the go to beginner rocket over the Alpha.

CADET 1 FIRST FLIGHT 05232022.jpg

Back