Estes Big Dawg Clone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I saw this rocket on a web site the other day and fell in love with it. After looking at it closely, I noticed that the nosecone was eerily similar to the Bullpup 12D. Further investigations proved that this was exactly the same nosecone. It just so happens that I had bought 6 of those BP kits a few months earlier from walmart in the launchables packages. So I had myself a kit bash!!!!

I didn't take pics of the build ... well ... because I forgot to :D

I have a couple of the finished product. First is a side view and the second is the aft end. This build took about 1.5 hrs to do up to the fillet step. I used 1/8 basswood for the fins and 6' long x 1/8" wide poly elastic shock cord with 12" chute. I plan on using the original paint scheme but decals will be a bit different.

The Big Dawg was a cute kit. The through-the-wall fins made it easy to build. I wonder why it was dropped.

I turned mine into a two-stager. The booster had a boat tail and vent holes.

I bought a bunch of them from Crazy Ape a while back for $5 each. Built one. Treed it. Gave one to a friend. He treed it. Our club prez had one a few years ago that CATO'd and landed right at my feet on fire. I couldn't bring myself to stomp it, so he did.
I need to get started on a new one. I noticed a few weeks ago that I couldn't see the one I treed anymore, so I guess the trees are due a feeding.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I didn't go with TTW fins. I just didn't have the patience for it ... or the 'want to'...

I still think I can build it to be strong enough.

That's a great looking Big Dawg clone you've got there! I love that model.

Back