Quantcast

Estes Astron Farside

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

kkooch

Reaction score
So.......my second rocket I built way back when. And I am building another for nostalgia reasons! BMS parts. Love BMS!

Looking at this now, it just looks like a short stubby model with large fins when fully stacked. My "stability" eyeball says this will weather cock in even the lightest of winds. I know this is an issue with this model. I am thinking I will extend the upper section for flying perhaps. Maybe a CommancheFarside endeavor.

Anybody fly an Astron Farside in moderate winds, even with fin canting and not have issues with weather cocking?

Thank you,

Kevin Kuczek

Tramper Al

Reaction score
Don't just lengthen it, but also consider using a larger diameter payload tube that can carry a little weight. That would look cool anyway. Call it the Farside-X or something like that.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
go with a 24mm motor mount in your 1st stage. C6's just don't have enough 'omph' to get a full stack moving.
Rex

MarcoPolo

Reaction score
My dad and I flew a Farside-X in the early 70's. On about the third flight, it went up, and the third stage just kept going, never to be seen again! WAY cool bird. I want to build one to honor Dad's craftsmanship. He's 87 now and remembers our rocket days, some days. Thanks for taking me back in time!!

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I loved the Farside and Farside-X which had an oversize Payload section. I flew the heck out of my Farside in the early 70's. I even added a 4th stage just for fun. Which sent the sustainer far out of sight and lost forever.
Never had much of a problem with weathercocking in "Normal" flying conditions 5-15mph surface winds. I do believe the upper stage always flew into the wind a bit as we could usually see the smoke trail bending in the direction the upper winds were blowing.
According to my flight logs; I had to replece the second stage booster 3 times and lost the sustainer on the 16th flight after adding the forth stage.
Sorry but these OLD black & white polaroid photos are all I have from back then. The Farside is a really fun model as long as you don't mind taking long walks for recovery.

Astron Farside-a-sm_1st Fleet 3-stage-c_04-03-71.jpg

Astron FarSide-b-sm_1st Fleet 4 stage-b ver_06-03-72.jpg