Genie Missile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Very short thread, this is a model that Scott Binder originally built based on 5.5-in tubing with a 3D printed cone section and boat tail and ply fin unit, he flew it once on an i 211 he said it had a little wobble.

He just recently gave it to me, I altered it with an internal avionics bay for deployment and modeled it in open rocket/rocksim and made sure I had a good caliber of margin and I didn't need to add any nose weight. It came out around 8 pounds ready to fly with a chute bag and a rocket man 7 foot chute and a bunch of Kevlar line and the altimeter set up for apogee and backup apogee. I got a chance to fly it on an i500 today and it flew beautiful just a little weather cocking and a little spin on the way up, beautiful deployment, unfortunately the wind took it off into the 10 ft tall cornfield with a lot of dense under brush and I wasn't able to recover the model but the model flew great and I think Jim Wilkerson has some liftoff photos hopefully.IMG_20230903_104704699_HDR~2.jpg

I saw that thing fly, it was great. I really hope you can get it back, it is a great rocket.

is that the "low resolution size" or a bigger size. I may buy one of the photos so I want to know

Frank was it the usual cornfield you lost it in?
Yes, it was over the horizon before I got there so I couldn't see the exact touchdown point and there wasn't anything on the horizon to get a line on other than it being to the left of where the large stand of trees and the other house is and those derelict farm equipment machines parked, I'm pretty sure it was right in that first corner of the cornfield maybe 10 or 20' in, I made a couple of tracks in through the really dense brush even up to one of the tire track ruts in the field and went up and down for a hundred yards either way looking left and right into the corn but you can only see about 10 ft and I just didn't see anything.

Yes, it was over the horizon before I got there so I couldn't see the exact touchdown point and there wasn't anything on the horizon to get a line on other than it being to the left of where the large stand of trees and the other house is and those derelict farm equipment machines parked, I'm pretty sure it was right in that first corner of the cornfield maybe 10 or 20' in, I made a couple of tracks in through the really dense brush even up to one of the tire track ruts in the field and went up and down for a hundred yards either way looking left and right into the corn but you can only see about 10 ft and I just didn't see anything.
If you can get me a photo of where you think it might be likeca Google earth picture with a pin for suspected location I may (just maybe) be able to get back out there this weekend and do a bit of searching. Wished I had a drone though.

Latest posts

Back