CAD Software Estes 1301 R2-D2 WIP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunstar

Reaction score
I'm working on creating 3D printable parts for Estes 1301 R2-D2. The legs, fins, lens and skirt are done, the dome is in the tweaking stage. There are two fin designs, original and one to try and move the CP back more. The dome in the kit is not movie accurate and I'm getting mine as close to it as I can but it won't be perfect, although if you don't compare closely side by side you likely won't notice. I'll also do one that is much more movie accurate, and may even do R4, R5 and R6 domes (the R3 dome is the same as the R2 dome). When all that is done I'll upscale them for LOC 4 inch body tubes. The fins are already available at https://www.printables.com/model/275386-estes-1301-r2-d2-model-rocket-fin

Here are some pictures:
dome.PNGleg.PNGskirt.PNGFins.PNG

@Gunstar, I'm contemplating a 3D printer and your parts for R2 and the R5-D4 dome were going to be some of my first attempts. I've noticed all that is on the printables site are the fin parts. Those are awesome, of course, but I wondered if you got a cease and desist notice from the Star Wars lawyers or something related to the other parts?

Back