Engines? Motors? I've got a better one :)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brainlord Mesomorph

Reaction score
In the 70's (in the US) they were engines. Now (and I think always in Europe) they're motors. I just can't seem to make myself say that. But hey, its the 21st century. We love us some acronyms.

I've started calling them SRBs!
An actual current NASA term, accurate, totally applicable.

Some of my rockets now have a little decal pointing at the engine clip labeled "SRB Release ->"

you're welcome :)

Using acronyms can also be problematic...

SRB.jpg

The urban dictionary also has some more "colorful" uses for the acronym SRB...

Using acronyms can also be problematic...

View attachment 357860

The urban dictionary also has some more "colorful" uses for the acronym SRB...

Oh, don't get me started on that. Between acronyms and word re-purposing were headed for a language crisis. Do you have any idea how many different things MS calls a "library" ? or how many acronyms are used 4 different ways just within medicine?

In the 70's (in the US) they were engines. Now (and I think always in Europe) they're motors. I just can't seem to make myself say that. But hey, its the 21st century. We love us some acronyms.

I've started calling them SRBs!
An actual current NASA term, accurate, totally applicable.

Some of my rockets now have a little decal pointing at the engine clip labeled "SRB Release ->"

you're welcome :)

"SRM" = Solid Rocket Motor"
An SRB uses an SRM plus a nose cone and some method to attach it to the central core rocket. Sometimes called "strap-on boosters".

The central core rocket, if it uses solid propellant, does not have an SRB, it simply has an SRM.

Look at the use of the word "motor":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_(rocket_family)

Motors have no moving parts to create the output. Engines have moving parts.
Motors: Electric motors, mass drivers, transverse linear motors, Solid Rocket Motor, etc.
Engines: Internal Combustion Engine, Gas Turbine Engine, Liquid Rocket Engine.

I have settled it in my mind by saying that Estes makes engines and everyone else makes motors. ;)

You guys are all about the motor engine/debate while I’m over here just thinking SRB isn’t an acronym. Acromyms are pronounceable as words. SRB is an initilization.

Acromyms are pronounceable as words.

What's an Acromym? ;)

Actually an initialism is also an acronym, by definition... https://www.dictionary.com/browse/acronym
  1. a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words andpronounced as a separate word, as Wac from Women's Army Corps, OPEC from Organization ofPetroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation.
  2. a set of initials representing a name, organization, or the like, with each letter pronounced separately; an initialism.
  3. an acrostic.

I'm so very sorry.

I did not mean to "start this again" (i wasn't here for the earlier ones)

I just thought SRB was a good third option.

That said:

An SRB uses an SRM plus a nose cone and some method to attach it to the central core rocket. Sometimes called "strap-on boosters".

The central core rocket, if it uses solid propellant, does not have an SRB, it simply has an SRM.

Motors: Electric motors, mass drivers, transverse linear motors, Solid Rocket Motor, etc.
tumblr_p13y1o9Ghj1so13x5o1_500.png

Motors: Electric motors(has moving parts) , mass drivers(has moving parts), transverse linear motors(has moving parts), Solid Rocket Motor (no moving parts), etc.
Engines: Internal Combustion Engine(has moving parts), Gas Turbine Engine(has moving parts), Liquid Rocket Engine(no moving parts)

And liquid fuel=engine but solid fuel= motor?? (WTF)

According to the dictionary:
Motor: anything that moves another thing (i.e. motates) there are motor neurons.
Engine: a main source of power (i.e. the engine of industry)
BTW :Booster(rocketry) = any first stage. Radially or inline.

can we all agree on "thruster"

I'll sit down now.

Last edited:
I'm so very sorry.

I did not mean to "start this again" (i wasn't here for the earlier ones)

I just thought SRB was a good third option.

That said:

tumblr_p13y1o9Ghj1so13x5o1_500.png

Motors: Electric motors(has moving parts) , mass drivers(has moving parts), transverse linear motors(has moving parts), Solid Rocket Motor (no moving parts), etc.
Engines: Internal Combustion Engine(has moving parts), Gas Turbine Engine(has moving parts), Liquid Rocket Engine(no moving parts)

And liquid fuel=engine but solid fuel= motor?? (WTF)

According to the dictionary:
Motor: anything that moves another thing (i.e. motates) there are motor neurons.
Engine: a main source of power (i.e. the engine of industry)
BTW :Booster(rocketry) = any first stage. Radially or inline.

can we all agree on "thruster"

I'll sit down now.

You are using a "dictionary" to define technical terms. \

You also left off important words from what I typed:

Electric motor output is the motion. Nothing had to move to create that output.

As for "motor neuron" you need to learn the difference between a "noun" and an "adjective". We are talking about the technical name of the noun. In your example, you should be arguing about "neuron" vs. "nerve" vs. "funny bone".

Sheesh....

Propellant Cartridges, per Carlisle '54

"replaceable cartridge for the propelling and parachute expelling means"

US2841084A

What's an Acromym? ;)

Actually an initialism is also an acronym, by definition... https://www.dictionary.com/browse/acronym

1. a set of initials representing a name, organization, or the like, with each letter pronounced separately; an initialism.

In a long-ago new employee orientation (NEO) at a very large and well-known semiconductor manufacturer, I overheard one of the trainers (IET) stop herself after a sentence in which she'd said "MTR, MTF, EMT, SPE, SPC, UCL, USL ..." to advise the new hires that they would have to "...learn a lot of TLAs"

One of the RCG engineers asked "What's a TLA?" The trainer sighed.

Words change their meanings over time. For instance, "moot" used to mean "worthy of discussion." Now it means the exact opposite, "unworthy of discussion." Strange.

In the 1970s in school I learned that an acronym was a pronounceable word formed by the first (usually) letters of a phrase. So NATO is an acronym, but U.S.A. is not. We used to put periods between the initials of non-acronyms, like U.S.A. Now I see USA all the time, but we say the letters, not "use-uh."

Tolerance used to mean "the ability to abide something that is unpleasant, " like, "How much pain can you tolerate?" Now it has come to mean acceptance of things with which you previously disagreed.

Used to be that a thing was "nauseous" if it caused nausea, and a person experiencing nasusea was "nauseated." Now, "nauseous" has come to mean both "nauseuos" and "nuseated" ("I'm feeling nauseous").

We all need to be careful about claiming that the definition that we always knew and were taught 40 years ago is the "correct" one.

Tolerance used to mean "the ability to abide something that is unpleasant, " like, "How much pain can you tolerate?" Now it has come to mean acceptance of things with which you previously disagreed.

We all need to be careful about claiming that the definition that we always knew and were taught 40 years ago is the "correct" one.

Indeed

From my desk copy of the 1996 edition of the Compact "OED" (in keeping with the theme of the thread).

toerabledeviation.png

According to THIS, the earliest attestation of the of this sense of tolerant was in 1784.

As for the engine/motor debate: A device which produces forward motion of a vehicle, conveyance. or solid object by the rearward discharge of fluid shall henceforth to be called a "TPM".

EDIT: Misread the indicia on my OED. I am older than I thought.

Last edited:

Electric "motors" have moving parts your argument is in-valid. :)

The confusion about 'fruit' and 'vegetable' arises because of the differences in usage between scientists and cooks. Scientifically speaking, a tomato is definitely a fruit: it develops from the ovary in the base of the flower, and contains the seeds of the plant. As far as cooking is concerned, some things which are strictly fruits ( such as tomatoes or bean pods ) are called 'vegetables' because they are used in savoury rather than sweet cooking.

Latest posts

Back