Energia/Buran

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to make more progress before posting more pics, but I've been distracted by other stuff lately. Anyway, here is a shot of a strap on just about finished.
DT

Drew,

*jaw hits floor* ...That is simply gorgeous.

I know I've not had much to say in this thread, other than giving you an attaboy here and there, but dang Drew, thats really has a clean look to it, and truly represents what the boosters should look like. I can hardly wait to see the completed rocket. 8)

One question though, given the detail that you have, would there be a chance that you'll take a couple pics of the finished model with say a dark background when she's done ?

I'd love to have a clean wallpaper image for the desktop - say 800X600 or thereabouts.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly live vicariously through you and Sandman with these incredible projects.

Cheers my friend,

R.S.,
Yes, I'm going to take better photos of the completed model. I tried last night, but was too tired. :eek:
Basically these are record keeping shots.
As you know, there are all kinds of shadings and lines on the strap ons; much of it has the look of concrete. I have to stop myself at a certain point and just move on.
I'm also making progress with the orbiter. There were several spots that were worn or puckered from the previous owner's heavy use of glue. I am going to try to vac form a new shell once I have it smoothed out. If that doesn't work, I have that eBay bargain shuttle to use as a back up.
DT

Drew,

Thats one thing I adore about the E-B - the details lines really make the boosters stand out. If you look at any of the E-B images, those subtle details really show through - so I can certainly understand not overdoing them, because you might never get all the detailing done.

Then there is the downside - detailing the other 3 to match. lol

Cheers my friend,

Strap ons are done, except for a few minor touch-ups. Here they are in a row.
DT

Drew,

You have got some seriously mad skillz there fella, those strap-ons are incredible. I adore how well these turned out, and the subtle circular markings near the nose are prime grade A sharp looking. ^5ss

Man, now that I see this, I'm itching to finish up the Litle Joe 2, and move on to the Shuttle.

Ya know, a kit would be really cool Drew.

..Did I mention a Energia-Buran kit would be cool ?....*wink*wink*nudge*nudge*..

You are the man !

Drew, These are amazing, even compared to the previous pics you have posted!! If the finished stack is a beautiful as these strap ons (and I am sure it will be) then this will be quite a sight to behold!!

Fred

Thanks for the kind words!
I'm working on the core and there's a tricky color separation block on the nose cone that is giving me headaches.
Fred, your decals are fantastic! Here's a shot of a few of them applied to the core.
DT

Man that looks sharp, and I feel like a frog on a lily pad looking at that, and all I can say is.." I'm geeked!"

Bows before the mighty Drew...I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy

Drew,

Those strap ons are FANTASTIC ! This is an amazing project.

Getting very close to finishing the Energia. I've pretty much finished the painting and just need to touch up a few areas. I'm trying to make two dummy main engines from rolled up trim monokote. This may stand up to the exhaust and if not I can always roll more! Here's a shot of the front end.
DT

I have finally finished the Energia booster. Here's a shot from the top.
DT

And a view of the bottom. Sorry for the poor picture quality. I'll get better shots over the weekend.
DT

Someone please make sure this man's work is published in SPR Mag! OUTSTANDING!

Congrats on a great build. Make sure an ambulance is standing by at the launch in case the flight doesn't go so well. :D

Oh yeah, be sure and post plenty of museum quality photos before this bird ever takes to the field.

Totally agree Eugene.

This has been my favorite thread to follow, and IMHO is the project of the year.

Excellent Drew !

*Cough*..Kit..*ahem*..perrty please*..*cough*

I'll bet your local science museum would love to put this item in its collection.

The only problem with doing such fine work, Drew, is that if you don't 'top' it with your next project, we'll all know you are slouching.

Here's a somewhat better shot. Yes, I will alert the local paramedics when I fly this, but fly it will, even if it takes big honkin' clear plastic fins! The weight so far is 5.2 oz. That's including a 1 oz. weight glued off center in the nose cone over the line of thrust. I don't expect the Buran to weigh very much so I'm still in good shape (I think!).
As far as a kit goes . . . It's taken me this long on the prototype!
I am going to try to replicate the parts when I'm done. I'm doing the Buran with the idea of a number of copies, but the strap on vac form pieces need a lot of work.
It's not "museum quality" by any means; when I get better shots up you'll be able to see the glitches. It's more what plastic modelers call a "four footer." Looks beautiful from 4 feet away!
Thanks for all the compliments. On to Buran!
DT

Drew,

Well I have to say that I've saved every pic you've posted of this entire project, so needless to say, I'll be watching the Buran build with a keen eye and fanciful visions.

Kudos on a fantastic Energia build. ^5ss

I don't suppose I have any chance of seing this model at NARAM? You really should take it down there and enter it.

Thank you, Peter. I'm humbled by the thought of you checking out my work! Can't make NARAM this year, though, and who knows when the whole thing will finally be done.
After a suggestion in another thread, I coated the inside of the Estes vac form shuttle with epoxy and it's much stronger. I'm almost done sanding all the messy parts out and then I am going to fill the inside with celluclay (a kind of paper mache) and vac form a copy.
DT

I have been having a devil of a time trying to vacuum form the Buran. First, I've had just about no time to work on this. Second, getting the styrene to form over the top of the orbiter has been impossible. I have made two vacuum tables and still can't get the whole fuselage with wing tops in one pull. My latest thought was to cut off the wings and do them separately. This was not quite successful either. So in this shot you can see I've gotten the top of the fuselage formed. I will attach sheet for the sides since they are flat anyway. Also in the shot are the wing tops, but they need to be redone.
DT

After trying to copy the bottom of the Estes shuttle I gave up and made my own out of balsa. If you have the Estes shuttle, you know if has a very unscale bump out for the fuselage bottom; the real shuttle and Buran have much simpler flat surfaces. Here's the Estes original after I modified it and my latest balsa version, ready to copy.
DT

So, the way it stands now, the Buran will be six pieces: the fuselage top, two side pieces, two wing tops, and the full bottom. Oh, and the two rear side pieces and two piece rudder. Sheesh, I'm not crazy about all the parts and joints. If worse comes to worst, I have the cheaply bought sealed shuttle stack that I can open and use the shuttle top from that. I'm trying one more vacuum table design this weekend before I give in!
DT

Howdy R.S. and all,
I've been swamped this summer and haven't made very much progress since finishing the Energia. Here's how it stands: Last night I did a final sanding on the Buran bottom and it needs one more coat of paint. I bought a new plastic container, shallower than the last one, and I need to drill holes in it to use as a vacuum table. The full bottom will be no problem. I am going to try to form the fuselage again in one shot. If that works I'll need two separate pieces for the upper wings. However, if the new table pulls strongly enough, I will attach the upper wings back to the fuselage and try to get a full upper piece in one shot. The nose master is just about finished as well. I'm going away for the weekend, but the wife and kids will be away all next week, so I should be able to make a lot of progress with the house to myself!
DT

Back