Energia/Buran

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another angle. Still a bit more sanding to do. I've cut out the right side as well.
DT

Looking good Drew !

Man, I don't envy all the work your putting into this, BUT I'm hoping you'll videotape the flight once she's done.

If possible, perhaps a video set up in the same vein as the larger brother to this one would be cool, complete with Russian countdown.

8)

Shoot..

I just realized that you did what I planned to do for the Shuttle- that is to assemble it, then cut off the rear end in line with the elevron.

Since I'm still leaning towards trying the Alumilite once I get the money together, I was pondering the exact way to make it easier to create the copies from the master and yet allow the builder to add in the elevron.

What are your thoughts on this way of doing it ?

Jeez! All of this seems too much like work;)

Looks great man, keep it up. Lots of detail for a small model! Should be beautiful when you're done.

It is too much like work! Actually, after spending so much time working with styrene on the Energia, I'm kind of enjoying carving wood for a change! I am putting a lot of work into getting the details right, but at a certain point I'm trying to stop myself because this is going to be a flying model. After seeing Vince's video of his Vostok flight with that D engine ejection, I'm worried about this thing coming down in a lot of little pieces! Maybe I'll ask everyone I know with a video camera to come to the first launch!
DT

R.S.,
Yes, I cut down the wings at the elevon line, basically because I don't like the look of the oversize wing, which will stand out even more with the more narrow rear of Buran. I also cut off two of the leading edge panels and moved up the wing tip, which reduced the wingspan a bit as well. I am hoping that the lighter weight and straighter lines (no OMS pods) on Buran will help the glide and reduce the effect of the reduced wing area. But, I'm not looking for contest times, just a minimum of lawn darts! You can see in the last shot that the rear bottom extends down pretty far below the upper wing. This will force the bottom down and give the wings a thicker cross section and dihedral on the bottom.
If you are going to cast the Shuttle, I think you need to decide whether you want an exact replica of the Estes kit, or a version with reduced wing, which will look better, I think, anyway. I'm not sure how you could give a builder an option. Was that your question?
DT

Drew,

It does answer my question, but I should elaborate:

In deciding to clone the shuttle with alumilite, IF I use the masters the way Estes designed them, there is a very real possibility that the shuttle's wings will have some warpage, based soley on how they look in my kit and what you mentioned in yours.

Alumilite is plyable to a point, but I understand that once it sets up, even though its very light weight, its also difficult to cut/alter.

So, I'm having to look at different methods to cast it, so, the idea was to get the proper angle using the technique that we both spoke of previously, and cast the orbiter as a single piece - exclusing the front nose, and cutting off the rear as you have done with your Buran-update so that the Elevron-dowel and string can still be added.

If I simply cast it in two halves as Estes has done, there are other concerns that I have to face. Glueing/ warpage etc.

Vacuforming isn't an option for me at this point, lacking a vacuum that can pull 30 to 40 psi, but I still believe that Alumilite is the best alternative.

Thanks for detailing what you had to do Drew, it helps alot. 8)

I see. Alumilite looks very interesting, but, as you have said, a bit pricey. I suspect, though, that you could vacuum form the whole shuttle orbiter with an ordinary vacuum. The suction on my homemade rig is pretty impressive. However, a fully cast shuttle would be a lot easier to work with.
DT

Here's the left rear almost done next to the right rear after the first go at carving and sanding.
DT

Drew,

Looking great bro, I can hardly wait to see the vacuuform copies..8)

Just about done with the right rear and starting to even things out between the sides.
DT

Here's another view (sorry about the "villain's lair" from Batman tilted look!).
BTW, that's a Semroc Sky Hook in the background. Took a break on Sunday and put that together with my 6 year old son. What a great kit! Only mod I made was to mount the launch lug the old Estes way, against the fin.
DT

Took advantage of the spring-like weather this weekend and sprayed some primer on the core and strap ons. Two coats on the strap ons, but I was running out of paint on Sunday and only got one light coat on the core.
DT

Doffs black wig, runs down to basement..bands starts playing theme song...

" SHWINGGGG !"

Looking great bro..8)

I cut down the bottom wing some time ago and finally got around to the top piece tonight. Here's how it went:
First I marked the two front wing panels I needed to remove.

I cut out those panels and the rest of the front edge of the wing to the tip. After cutting off the two panels, I used the rest of the edge piece as a guide and removed more of the wing next to where the panels were.

The piece was glued back onto the wing using pieces of styrene as backing.

And here's the final result, a much more scale-like appearance. The glide will be even worse, but it will look better going up!
The orbiter is not in great shape; the styrene is very brittle and I had to stop stripping the paint because it was cracking the plastic. I still have to repair a few glue-melt areas.
DT

Looks fantastic Drew..Really amazed with how good the final product looks.

Thanks for the detailed images throughout, its been one heck of a ride..now I can't wait to see this bad boy fly . 8)

^5ss

R.S.,
I wish the orbiter were in better shape; the fuselage sides are really puckered where the previous owner glued in the cardboard former. More filling and sanding ahead.

By the way an Estes stack just sold for $202.05 yesterday on Ebay!
DT

Drew,

Still in all, its very impresive what you've been able to accomplish with vacu-forming, and scratchbuilding. Really this is a perfect example of the ingenuity of TRF at work. 8)

I just got a camera - a bit clearer image quality, albeit not great - so I can see what the gang at Alumilite has to say about a shuttle casting.

I saw the Shuttle go for that price, and was amazed. Theres another one on there at the moment, 42 bucks I believe.

Cheers my friend,

Originally posted by dtomko
By the way, this site: https://www.k26.com/buran/
has just been updated with a bunch of interesting CG images.
DT

I just spent my entire lunch hour scanning this website, and another site that this one led to:
https://www.buran.ru/htm/molniya.htm
There are TONS of info, gobs of great pictures, diagrams, etc!
Just click on something and all sorts of links open up, lots of drawings, lots of videos. . . in short, WOW!
Don't go here unless you are ready to waste lots of time!

Powderburner,
Heh, heh, heh . .
If you have any interest at all in Buran, you can get lost for days in that site and its links! The pictures, drawings, and videos are incredible.
DT

I've been spending time painting the strap ons and core, but today I vac-formed the Buran rear. Hear are the parts fresh out.
DT

And the left side trimmed a bit and test fit on the shuttle. So far so good! The masters are carved out of pine and given a coat of Kilz primer. They held up well after vacuum forming.
DT

Fantastic Drew..real quality there. 8)

So do you think an Energia-Buran kit might be in the offering down the road ?

Please..pretty please..

Thanks, R.S.
A kit . . . hmmmm
I began this really just to see if I could do it! Remember, the thing still has yet to fly! I am trying to keep careful records and now am trying to make longer lasting molds. If I do offer anything, it would have to be in a very small number. I also would probably make it closer to scale, for example, using a 1.88" BT for the Energia core instead of the 2" from Estes, and getting a custom-turned nose cone. But then I'd be tempted to carve a whole new, closer to scale Buran and and . . . . :rolleyes:
At any rate, the orbiter I have is pretty beat up, so I may fill the inside with foam and vac-form a copy over it after filling all the tears in the plastic. That would mean copies of the Buran might be possible. At the very least, there's an excellent decal set coming . ;)

DT

Latest posts

Back