El Mirage Dry Lake details?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanKnight

Reaction score
My extended family wants to take a trip up to El Mirage this weekend, and I recall someone mentioning a designated area for rocket launching. I know you enter the park from Mountain View Rd. Anybody know where to go from there? The website seems to suggest that there won't be a live person at the entrance, and it mentions a visitor center on some other road, but doesn't mention an exact address.

Also, if anyone wants to join us, I plan on getting there around 8:30 to 9:00am and staying for a couple of hours, then driving to Palmdale for lunch.

Thanks, Fred. I was actually about to email you the same question privately, but figured you come on here often enough. Do you know if rangers are usually at the entrance? The website suggests it's just an automated machine for a vehicle permit, and emails through the BLM website go unanswered.

I have never been inside the area, but I've driven past it on the way to Edwards AFB when I had to go there for work a few times.

Call them on the telephone. email is semi-useless for important realtime communication. The telephone works. For some Fire department folks (like Inspectors), you have to call early in the day because they are only in the office for a couple of hours very early and then out in the field doing inspections the rest of the day. I have no idea about the BLM rangers.

Thanks, Fred. I was actually about to email you the same question privately, but figured you come on here often enough. Do you know if rangers are usually at the entrance? The website suggests it's just an automated machine for a vehicle permit, and emails through the BLM website go unanswered.

If you really want a road trip- we're flying this weekend at Plaster City-I'll gladly pay your launch (BLM) fees! Come fly with us! (oh-did that sound too commercial???)

For anyone interested, we got up there on Saturday. First off, the visitor center is NOT at 75 Colusa Rd. It's right there at the entrance to the park, but the building looks fairly new. It has restrooms and water, so I didn't need my trash bag and TP after all. A nice lady at the window told us we could launch anywhere on the lake bad. So we found a spot near the middle and not too close to anybody. The bikes, ATVs, and quads kept a safe distance from our launch pads (I left the rod cap with flag on when not launching). There were a couple of ultralight aircraft around, so it's important to watch for them before counting down. We must have launched over 20 rockets in under an hour before the kids started to get hungry and sleepy.

I still think the SCRA launched are more fun because you see hundreds of launches in a few hours, but the kids really liked being able to push the launch button.

If you really want a road trip- we're flying this weekend at Plaster City-I'll gladly pay your launch (BLM) fees! Come fly with us! (oh-did that sound too commercial???)

This weekend is a music-filled weekend with my students performing at a judged solo festival, then I'm picking up some cellos for my orchestra, and then on to a jazz festival where my cousin is playing with his high school band. It's kind of funny, but by the end of the day, I will have driven to Anaheim, almost half way to your launch!

This weekend is a music-filled weekend with my students performing at a judged solo festival, then I'm picking up some cellos for my orchestra, and then on to a jazz festival where my cousin is playing with his high school band. It's kind of funny, but by the end of the day, I will have driven to Anaheim, almost half way to your launch!
It's all good- offer open anytime!

Kids can push the launch button at SCRA launches, you simply need to bring your own controller and launch pad and have an Adult standing next to the kids in direct control of the kids (so they do not launch at the incorrect time when there may ba a hold for aircraft or other safety issues).

Glad your launch went well and obtaining permission was so easy.

For anyone interested, we got up there on Saturday. First off, the visitor center is NOT at 75 Colusa Rd. It's right there at the entrance to the park, but the building looks fairly new. It has restrooms and water, so I didn't need my trash bag and TP after all. A nice lady at the window told us we could launch anywhere on the lake bad. So we found a spot near the middle and not too close to anybody. The bikes, ATVs, and quads kept a safe distance from our launch pads (I left the rod cap with flag on when not launching). There were a couple of ultralight aircraft around, so it's important to watch for them before counting down. We must have launched over 20 rockets in under an hour before the kids started to get hungry and sleepy.

I still think the SCRA launched are more fun because you see hundreds of launches in a few hours, but the kids really liked being able to push the launch button.

Kids can push the launch button at SCRA launches...
Yeah, I may just bring my equipment the next time I take my nephew out to an SCRA launch. It's funny because, as an adult, I prefer to let the launch officer take care of it while I stand back and watch, but I too loved pushing the button when I was a kid.

Back